On: 13/07/2018 | 02:20
Replies: 4

by: pier87
on: 13/07/2018 | 02:20
I have lost my phone but I want to keep my number
Message 1 of 5
by: pds01144
on: 13/07/2018 | 02:23

Report the loss and activate a replacement SIM using this procedure: https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Ask-the-community-got-stuck/How-do-I-report-my-phone-and-or-S....

You may either wait for giffgaff to send a SIM which takes several days, use a spare that you already have, or pick one up at a local shop for about £1. If you elect to bar your SIM and phone you must wait for the replacement SIM which looks like this:

large.jpg

After a replacement sim regains a signal, barring of services is still present, and only a call to 443 plus calls to some free shortcode numbers will work. 

This barring is usually removed automatically within 12 hours 

If it's not contact an agent to remove the bar manually 

Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
by: terencedaly
on: 13/07/2018 | 02:52 edited: 13/07/2018 | 02:54

pier87 wrote:

I have lost my phone but I want to keep my number

Hi @pier87

All you need to do is get a new sim card and do a sim swap, this is the quickest way

SIM Swap is the process of replacing your existing SIM with a new SIM and moving your existing number, allowances etc. to a new SIM

Replace your SIM This may take anything from a few minutes to 24 hours - the 'norm' is around 30 minutes.

If your SIM is broken or lost, or you have a new phone that uses a different size SIM, you can order a new one and do what we call a ‘SIM swap’ in two easy steps.

Request a new SIM on the Order page. Or just use any un-activated giffgaff SIM.

Your new SIM should arrive in 1-2 business days.

If you need a new sim card urgent you can buy one for 99pence from Tesco, Sainsbury's, Poundland and in more independent grocers and news agents around the country. 

Activate your new SIM by clicking on the link below. Simply type the code on the back of the SIM card to swap the current SIM on your account with the new SIM.

Before you start read the information below:

• It can take up to 24 hours for a SIM swap to complete (but it’s usually quicker). And you’ll lose service while it's processing.
  • SIM swap is not available between 9.30pm and 4.30am.
  • If you’ve recently requested to move your number to or from giffgaff, please don’t try to swap your SIM.
  • Put the new SIM into your device. Turn the device OFF/ON at 30 minute intervals until you get a signal and the SIM starts working.

Activate your SIM

But if you think some one may be using the phone and you wish to block the sim card

As soon as you notice that your phone or SIM card has disappeared from view, you can come to the website to let us know.

There you'll have two choices:

• Bar your SIM and phone or
  • Bar your SIM only

We advise you to let us know as soon as possible so we can block your phone and/or SIM to prevent any fraudulent usage. Blocking your SIM card or phone will take a few minutes and will make it impossible for anybody to use.

Login and go to the lost and stolen page:

• Select Bar my phone & SIM
  • Select the most appropriate of the following options:
    • SIM Swap
    • If you have a spare sim card handy 

SIM Swap is the quickest way to block your SIM and get the control of your phone number again, but it does not block your phone. If you have an unactivated SIM card at hand you'll be able to use your number again in a few minutes.

If you feel that the best option is to SIM Swap, then head over to our dedicated SIM Swap guide.

• Order a SIM replacement. Your phone will be blocked using this method

Register your phone on the Immobilise website. Its a national database and totally free of charge. You can use the website to report the loss or theft of your phone. The police can also use this database to return it to you if it is later recovered.

If your phone was insured then your insurer will ask you for proof of usage. Contact an agent with your claim number and insurer's email address and we will send a statement to your insurer for you.

We can only provide them with this document once your phone has been registered as lost and stolen on this website.

If you think your number has been used without your consent, please contact us after having blocked the phone and/or SIM card. The agents will then check your recent usage for abuses and will refund your goodybag allowance or balance appropriately.

iOS, Android, Windows Phone and BlackBerry OS-based phones all have methods which in the event of losing your phone enable you to keep tabs on where your smartphone is via a computer and in some cases, what state it's in.

Note that you need to have subscribed to these services and applications before losing your phone as it requires a set-up step.

Phones are expensive items and we advise to insure yours. It will not only cover you if it is lost or stolen, but can also cover accidental damages depending on the policy you subscribed to.

Hope this helps

Terry

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 5
by: tomrosser1
on: 13/07/2018 | 06:09

@pier87   If you reported your giffgaff SIM/Phone lost/stolen Giffgaff will have send out a replacement SIM first class to the address provided under your details page here http://www.giffgaff.com/profile/details

The replacement SIM sent out will have your number and any active allowances e.g. goody-bag and/or airtime credit balance. 
When the SIM arrives, you will be need to login into the account and then follow this http://giffgaff.com/activate-sim link to activate the replacement SIM. 

If you haven't received the SIM after a week raise a ticket with an agent to investigate. To contact an agent please follow this https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/ask/SIM-and-number/Replacement-SIM-not-received/form link 

please beware a giffgaff agent can take up to 24 hours to reply to your query.
Agent replies can be found “Messages From Agents" box located under your "My Giffgaff" page, or can be accessed by following this link https://giffgaff.com/support/questions

Message 4 of 5
by: gdruby
on: 13/07/2018 | 07:05
@pier87

Sorry for the phone lost. You can order a replacement SIM along with reporting lost and stolen by login onto your giffgaff account from here: http://giffgaff.com/support/lost

On completing the replacement form above you'll be given the choice to either "Bar SIM only" or "Bar SIM and Handset" so please ensure you only click on the "Right Option".

The replacement SIM will take up to 1-3 working days to arrive. Once arrived then all you need to do is login onto the account and activate it from here: https://giffgaff.com/activate-sim it takes up to 24 hours to activate all the services after the SIM activation is done.

The activated replacement SIM will have the same number, credit and goodybag validity date will remain the same.
Message 5 of 5