"Emergency Calls Only"

Started by: badboyofrock
On: 24/01/2011 | 10:51
Replies: 16

Go to best answer
by: badboyofrock
on: 24/01/2011 | 10:51

Hey Hey Friends,

I have a sony Ericsson C902 phone and every so often, maybe 4 or 5 times a day, the giffgaff operator logo is replaced withe the words "Emergency Calls Only". This is strange given that the signal strength indicator is full. Is this likely to be a sim fault or a phone fault? My wife has a Samsung Tocco Lite on giffgaff and hasn't complianed of the same or similar problem. I have to be honest and admit I have dropped my phone a time or two, which probably doesn't do it any good.

I have ordered a new phone on O2 which is coming tomorrow. Is that likely to be ok or do I need a new sim?

Thanks in advance,

BBOR

Message 1 of 17
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: xmob
on: 24/01/2011 | 11:32

I once worked for Ericsson so I can tell you that this is not a problem.

"Emergency Calls Only" means that your phone doesn't have a signal for your network (giffgaff, o2) but can find a signal for other networks.  This is why the signal meter is showing a good reading.

You cannot make normal calls because it's not your network, but emergency calls WILL work (please don't try it!).

Message 10 of 17
by: mondeoman1970
on: 24/01/2011 | 10:54 edited: 24/01/2011 | 10:55

Your new phone from O2 will work fine with GG.

If your GG sim still gives you the same problem in the new phone, you can ask for a replacement sim.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 17
by: ncfc11
on: 24/01/2011 | 10:54

I have used several different phones with giffgaff and not experienced the same problem. 

Message 3 of 17
Highlighted
by: ovolactohippo
on: 24/01/2011 | 10:54
Perhaps try taking your sim out and cleaning the contacts. Check that it's seated properly seeing as you've dropped it a few times Smiley Wink
Get a free Giffgaff Sim--- with £5 bonus credit

Please give kudos when deserved, and mark the post that solves your question using the options menu on the top right corner of that post Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 17
on: 24/01/2011 | 10:57
I would suspect the phone in the first instance really so would expect the new phone to sort it out - but it's also possible that it's the sim so I'd experiment with cleaning / trying sim in different phone / trying different sim in current phone to try and pinpoint it Smiley Happy

Please give kudos when deserved, and mark the post that solves your question using the options menu on the top right corner of that post Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 17
by: badboyofrock
on: 24/01/2011 | 11:01

Thanks very much,

If I need a new sim, can I gat my current number/balance/goody bag put on the new one?

Cheers,

BBOR

Message 6 of 17
by: adam98675
on: 24/01/2011 | 11:03

@badboyofrock wrote:

Thanks very much,

If I need a new sim, can I gat my current number/balance/goody bag put on the new one?

Cheers,

BBOR

Yes if your report it lost here http://giffgaff.com/support/lost they will send you a new sim with your number, credit, goodybag on it

Message 7 of 17
on: 24/01/2011 | 11:06
For information though you will have the old sim blocked whilst you wait for the new one if you choose to report it lost

Message 8 of 17
by: coloncancer
on: 24/01/2011 | 11:07
Definitely sounds like a phone problem, test for a few days with the new phone and see how it goes. If you still get the error then I would request a replacement SIM using the link adam has supplied. Your number and your credit/goodybag info will be transferred to the new SIM, although you will be without a working number for a couple of days.
Click HERE to request a free SIM card with £5 free credit upon activation.
Having Problems? Try the Search Engine as your first port-of-call.
Bowel Cancer UK - Raising Awareness.
Message 9 of 17
by: xmob
on: 24/01/2011 | 11:32

I once worked for Ericsson so I can tell you that this is not a problem.

"Emergency Calls Only" means that your phone doesn't have a signal for your network (giffgaff, o2) but can find a signal for other networks.  This is why the signal meter is showing a good reading.

You cannot make normal calls because it's not your network, but emergency calls WILL work (please don't try it!).

Message 10 of 17