Community

"Unlimited" data usage

Started by: natas76610
On: 15/08/2018 | 22:20
Replies: 12

Go to best answer
by: natas76610
on: 15/08/2018 | 22:20

Received and email today regarding my data usage. As it is my only source of internet, I pay the £25 a month goody bag to get the advertised Unlimited Data. 

Is it not false advertising if now I'm being penalised for using my data in an unlimited way? 

Message 1 of 13
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by: greenfrogman
on: 15/08/2018 | 22:54 edited: 15/08/2018 | 22:56

@natas76610

Well 93gb would sure get you a 93 day ban on the £25 goodybag

The problem is the only way you've done that 93 gig is between midnight and 8 a.m. the issue is giffgaff does not have a night-time traffic management so unfortunately if you use more than a 30 gig including what use at night-time they ban you for 93 days it's very silly

what they should be doing if you say use 10gb over 20gb they should drop the speed to 128kbs as that would surely stop you from streaming video

At the moment I don't know what the actual hidden abuse limit is at the moment( currently using 1gb a day to see if what happens when I get to 30 gig see if they send me the ultimatum email to stop using data as it's not a warning email) 

Please mark the correct answer so users can find them later on

Message 9 of 13
by: keirups
on: 15/08/2018 | 22:22
Unfortunately, it isn't advertised as "unlimited" data, it's advertised as Always On. With the £25 Always On data, after 20GB of data used you'll experience a slowed down 4G speed from 8am to Midnight -- this is clearly stated on giffgaff's website Smiley Sad
If you liked my post or it helped you, please click the + button next to "Kudos" or the "Best Answer" button if I solved your issue Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 13
on: 15/08/2018 | 22:23
Always on.... or not as the case may be!
Message 3 of 13
on: 15/08/2018 | 22:25
I had no issue with slower internet after 20gb, but that's not even an option for me now
Message 4 of 13
by: bugzbunny
on: 15/08/2018 | 22:27
Hi @natas76610 and thanks for visiting the community
Sorry giffgaff don't do unlimited data, the closest thing to unlimited is always on goodybag. The £25 always on goodybag is designed to give you peace of mind that you'll always have access to data. It gives you 20GB of UK data at full 4G speeds and once you used up the 20GB then you will continue to get data allowance at a reduced speed (384KB) from 8am to midnight. From midnight to 7.59am you have an data allowance at full speed.

For more information on the £25 always goodybag please check out this https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/Guide-to-Always-On/ta-p/17070641 knowledge base link
CLICK TO GET YOUR FREE GIFFGAFF SIM WITH £5 CREDIT NANO-MICRO SIMS AVAILABLE
CLICK TO GET YOUR FREE GIFFGAFF SIM WITH £5 CREDIT NANO-MICRO SIMS AVAILABLE

Message 5 of 13
on: 15/08/2018 | 22:29
As I said, I never had an issue with that. Last goody bag seems they didn't restrict my usage after 20gb causing a larger than normal use of data. Now this goody bag I purchased a few days ago they didn't give me the option to purchase £25 one and only today I've found out why
Message 6 of 13
on: 15/08/2018 | 22:30 edited: 15/08/2018 | 22:34

@natas76610

Can you text PLAN to 43430 and post it here (it's free number ignore the charge warning if phone warns you)

We are sorry that other members are saying it's your fault for using too much data but giffgaff does Not  put fair measures in place to slow you down even more when you're using too much data ( unfortunately giffgaff also uses the midnight to 8 a.m. where it is quite fast as part of the data used so using YouTube After Midnight can result in a ban after a couple of days if you keep you watching videos after midnight as you will be using multiple gigabytes of data) 

Giffgaff don't do unlimited data unfortunately and they don't post what the abuse policy is for the data (most likely above 25-30gb, it would just be nice if you could post what your actual data usage was so we can work out what the hidden limited as Giffgaff won't tell us what it is)

Basically the way it works on always on is that you're not meant to continue streaming video once you've used to 20gb

Message 7 of 13
on: 15/08/2018 | 22:33
I know I used 93gb last month, as I said tho my services weren't limited after 20gb. After which point I would usually use a lower resolution for watching videos, this worked fine for a while but not any more it seems.
I understand 93gb is a lot, but not sure I understand being penalised for them not restricting my use as per usual
Message 8 of 13
Highlighted
on: 15/08/2018 | 22:54 edited: 15/08/2018 | 22:56

@natas76610

Well 93gb would sure get you a 93 day ban on the £25 goodybag

The problem is the only way you've done that 93 gig is between midnight and 8 a.m. the issue is giffgaff does not have a night-time traffic management so unfortunately if you use more than a 30 gig including what use at night-time they ban you for 93 days it's very silly

what they should be doing if you say use 10gb over 20gb they should drop the speed to 128kbs as that would surely stop you from streaming video

At the moment I don't know what the actual hidden abuse limit is at the moment( currently using 1gb a day to see if what happens when I get to 30 gig see if they send me the ultimatum email to stop using data as it's not a warning email) 

Message 9 of 13
on: 15/08/2018 | 23:05 edited: 15/08/2018 | 23:08

@keirups

You don't really understand the problem if you're using data between midnight and 8 a.m. it is part of the hidden abuse limit but because giffgaff does not have a traffic management between midnight and 8 a.m. it's extremely easy to use lots of data between midnight and 8 a.m. and then be punished for it

@bugzbunny

As well as reading the above the traffic flow does not at any point state what the abuse limit is there is no point pointing people to a page that does not give them any information about traffic flow so how are we supposed to follow the rules if they don't know that there is a mythical 30gb limit( it's mythical at the moment because I don't know what the actual abuse limit is currently trying to work it out) when they get banned

Message 10 of 13