Knowledge Base
Community

registering new phone

Started by: jonesse2
On: 08/02/2018 | 10:08
Replies: 8

by: jonesse2
on: 08/02/2018 | 10:08

I applied for a free SIM, received it with the 6 characters activation code and bought £10 at Sainsburys, activated the phone and "register failed". I have a phone number and a PUK but I no longer have the activation code. How can I actually make the phone work, please? My username is "jonesse2" and Order ID is 184996345; thanks in advance, hopefully real soon.

Jon

Why does trying to approach an agent always lead to the "no apiProfilenear "AND": syntax error" message?

Message 1 of 9
by: giffgaffprepper
on: 08/02/2018 | 10:24
log out / clear browser history and cookies cache / log back in, the webpage errors should now have been cleared

when did you activate the sim? you need to allow time for your sim to finish activation the activation code has been used so your sim is in the process of being activated, it can only be used once

when sim has finished activation, you will see a phone number appear on your account dashboiard here https://giffgaff.com/dashboard

gg runs on the O2 network, is your phone locked to a different network?

why do you have a PUK? a PUK is only required if you have entered your sim pin / screen lock incorrectly 3 times

if you want to transfer your phone number over to gg you need a PAC a pac number is ABC123456
Message 2 of 9
on: 08/02/2018 | 10:46

Thanks, this was a new unlocked very basic phone, so locking is not an issue. The PUK showed up on the webpage, dunno why. the SIM was activated yesterday, early afternoon, and I already have the phone number from the web page so I assume that activation must have been completed but it's still not registering.

Message 3 of 9
by: giffgaffprepper
on: 08/02/2018 | 10:48

jonesse2 wrote:

Thanks, this was a new unlocked very basic phone, so locking is not an issue. The PUK showed up on the webpage, dunno why. the SIM was activated yesterday, early afternoon, and I already have the phone number from the web page so I assume that activation must have been completed but it's still not registering.

@jonesse2

you should not need to enter a PUK when first activating a sim

what phone is it, did you buy it brand new or second hand? where did you buy it?

sounds like the phone is NOT unlocked

Message 4 of 9
on: 08/02/2018 | 10:51
It is a new iFcaneE1 Mini Card Phone bought as unlocked from GearBest, a site I've used before, PUK wasn't used.
Message 5 of 9
by: endorphin
on: 08/02/2018 | 11:10

Hi @jonesse2 can you see if your giffgaff SIM will work in a different phone?

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 6 of 9
on: 08/02/2018 | 11:41
Thanks, my other phone only takes a microsim. What are your records showing about activation, please?
Message 7 of 9
by: endorphin
on: 08/02/2018 | 11:49

@jonesse2 wrote:

Thanks, my other phone only takes a microsim. What are your records showing about activation, please?

Hi you should be able to popout a microSIM from the giffgaff SIM. If you do it carefully you can then recreate the larger SIM later.

We posters here don't work for giffgaff so can't access your account's details. I suggest you ask an agent to investigate using this form https://support2.giffgaff.com/app/ask/Getting-Started/Activating-my-SIM/form/

Agents reply within 4 hours in the majority of cases but can take up to 24 hours, in the worst case, to reply (but they do work 7 days a week from 8am to 11pm). You will see when an agent has replied in the "Messages: From Agents" box which is half way down the right hand side of your "My Giffgaff" page or go here https://giffgaff.com/support/questions

Good Luck!

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
on: 08/02/2018 | 12:00
Thank you, I can't access the agents from work because I can't clear cache. The other phone must stay on current number all of the time.
Message 9 of 9