Knowledge Base
Community

sebr08 has a question about always on date issue

Started by: sebr08
On: 13/07/2018 | 21:05
Replies: 6

by: sebr08
on: 13/07/2018 | 21:05
Hi, this should be my last month that my £20 goodybag is with 'always on data' (it clearly says this on my account). Once the full speed data allowance is used, the connection should slow down to about 384kbps for the rest of this month. Instead of slowing down, it has been practically cut off. I cannot open any web pages and GiffGaff app only allows me to access top-up part. I believe I should not have to buy a new goodybag just yet. Any ideas how to get this fix so I can use the 'always on data' next 10 days, as premised?
Message 1 of 7
by: harrrrrry
on: 14/07/2018 | 04:07

@sebr08

The reduced speed should apply only from 8am to midnight. From midnight to 8am you should get network speed data again but there are two things that could prevent it:

• sometimes, possibly depening on the phone, it's necessary to restart the phone after midnight to get the full speed
  • there might be faults in the area -- which you can check by putting your full postcode in at https://giffgaff.com/coverage-and-service#network

Are you sure that you've passed the 9GB of full soeed data? If you have, then the app should be offereing the option to buy a new goodbag as well as top up credit. But that might be a bug caused by the new range of goodybags that started a few days ago.

Using a browser, have a look on the dashboard https://giffgaff.com/dashboard to see if the option to buy a goodybag is appearing there. If it is not, then I suspect that the problem is a network fault and not a speed restriction.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 2 of 7
on: 16/07/2018 | 22:50

The connectino issue was as bad in two different areas 11 miles apart, but the network info idicated that I am in range of 4G network. Restarting phone did not help. I did expect the slow down after using off 9GB, but it was practicly cut off rather than slow down. The option to buy new goodybag was there, but I refused to pay for service which was paid for alredy.

The connection is back to normal now. Since I used off my full speed alowence, it considerebly slower of cource, but nothing like that day.

Thank you for your reply.

Message 3 of 7
on: 16/07/2018 | 23:49

@sebr08

Its highly possible that two places 11 miles apart could be affected by the same problem. Did you do the full postcode test?

Sometimes a very large area can be affected. For example,  https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Service-Updates/Restored-Issue-with-2G-3G-amp-4G-services-in-the-L... :

We were informed of an issue with 2G, 3G & 4G calls, texts & data within the following areas:  Leeds, Bradford, Shipley, Dewsbury, Morley, Batley, Castleford, Pontefract, Goole, Kingston, Doncaster, Maltby & Berverley areas. Our technical teams worked hard through out the night to fix this issue and can confirm that this issue is now resolved and that all services have been restored to affected member.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 4 of 7
on: 17/07/2018 | 19:00

No, but I did check the archives for servie updates - no networks issues has been reported in the area.

Message 5 of 7
on: 17/07/2018 | 23:39

@sebr08

Only major outages, such as the one above, are reported in the Service Issues forum. Smaller issues affecting only a few masts are best checked in the status checker, using the exact postcode

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 6 of 7
on: 17/07/2018 | 23:57

Too but the status check by postcode is updated hourly and there is no history available. I guess we will never know. Thanks and bye for now

Message 7 of 7