Knowledge Base
Community

sim not working?

Started by: piggypaige
On: 12/10/2013 | 21:03
Replies: 10

by: piggypaige
on: 12/10/2013 | 21:03

i activated a new sim more then 24 hours ago and put it into an unlocked phone...when it asks me to select network i click o2 and it says.."sim does not allow connection to this network?" i tried to ask an agent but it wont let me as i have misplaced the activation number that was on the original card the sim came on??? on my giffgaff home page it says activation was successful...please help

Message 1 of 11
by: jcalvy
on: 12/10/2013 | 21:05
Hello, you need to select giffgaff as the network.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 11
by: various_mm
on: 12/10/2013 | 21:05 edited: 12/10/2013 | 21:06

@piggypaige wrote:

i activated a new sim more then 24 hours ago and put it into an unlocked phone...when it asks me to select network i click o2 and it says.."sim does not allow connection to this network?" i tried to ask an agent but it wont let me as i have misplaced the activation number that was on the original card the sim came on??? on my giffgaff home page it says activation was successful...please help

hi there

if you giffgaff account says that your sim has been activated then its likely that your phone may not be unlocked. 

if your phone is unlocked then you don't need to select a network as as soon as you put your gifgaff sim in it, it should connect to giffgaff.

does your giffgaff account show the phone number. here is the link to the page https://giffgaff.com/dashboard

If my answer resolved your query then please mark it as a ' solution '. Thank you!
Message 3 of 11
by: figment_uk
on: 12/10/2013 | 21:06

@piggypaige wrote:

There are usually two O2 network entries to select from - 'O2 Pay Monthly' and 'O2 Pay As You Go'. You must select O2 PAYG.

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 4 of 11
by: mykiel78
on: 12/10/2013 | 21:07
If its over 24 hours activation and still not complete then you'll need to contact an agent to investigate. You can add the number behind the SIM card itself if you can't find the big part in your query

https://giffgaff.com/support/ask/activations

Agents will respond within 24hrs.
Message 5 of 11
by: dalan
on: 12/10/2013 | 21:10
Hi
Did you follow this procedure.
Activation

Go to your my gg dashboard, click activate, then enter the code from the card. There are no zero's or O's in the codes.
In addition, you can insert the SIM Serial Number instead - this is the 19 digits printed on your SIM card (right before 3Ggg1*) when activating your sim.

Sim activation is fully complete after you have topped up with the minimum of £10. Sim activation usually takes 5 to 30 minutes but can be up to 24 hours. Please be patient and keep checking your 'My Giffgaff' page, you new giffgaff number will appear on the top left had side of your dashboard. You can also Use this link

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/GiffGaff-Short-Codes-Access-Hidden-Parts-Qu...

To check your goodybag balance, remaining minutes and expiry of your goodybag, and much more.
Also try clearing your browser history. Logging out and back in again. Also try another browser or the mobile site.
Or read here for an in depth account on how to activate a sim card. See the link below.

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/Complete-guide-to-activating-your-new-giffg...

If you did, then raise a case with the agents and tell them whats happened.

To raise a case the agents,go to Help on your my giffgaff page, then click Ask an Agent from the links on the page, or use this link below, and choose a category that suits your issue.

http://j.mp/agentsgaff

The agents will get back to you within 24 hours, and in some cases tell you it will take 5 working days to look into it.

If you have problems, try a different browser, ie Chrome, Firefox. Or choose 30 in the drop down box. And then write the specific nature of your issue in the text box provided.

Or see here for different links on how to contact an agent from the giffgaff knowledge base.

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learning/When-to-contact-an-agent/ta-p/9114714

If it helps,
Feel free to use this post at a later date
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 11
on: 12/10/2013 | 21:15

phone is unlocked as it gives options to all normal networks...o2 vodaphone, orange ,tmobile , 3g  nothing for giffgaff though? ......i have a phone number showing on the home page as well?

Message 7 of 11
on: 12/10/2013 | 21:17

@piggypaige wrote:

phone is unlocked as it gives options to all normal networks...o2 vodaphone, orange ,tmobile , 3g  nothing for giffgaff though? ......i have a phone number showing on the home page as well?

Some phones don't show giffgaff as an option.

The number shown on the home page confirms the SIM is activated.How do you know for certain the phone is unlocked? Can you try the SIM in a different handset?

What phone is it (make/model)?

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 8 of 11
on: 12/10/2013 | 21:19

its a htc wildfire....we had it unlocked although not tried another sim in it as it was locked to orange before and the only other sims we have are orange?

Message 9 of 11
on: 12/10/2013 | 21:24

@piggypaige wrote:

its a htc wildfire....we had it unlocked although not tried another sim in it as it was locked to orange before and the only other sims we have are orange?

I would suspect it's the phone that's at fault here, and may not have been unlocked fully/correctly.

Message 10 of 11