Community

sim swap

Started by: cindyraey
On: 11/01/2019 | 19:33
Replies: 6

Go to best answer
by: cindyraey
on: 11/01/2019 | 19:33

i am trying to do a sim swap from samsung galaxy standard sim to sony experiran nano sim .but don't seem able to move my contacts direct to sim. Can i use the sd card to do same? export to sd and then put in new phone?

Message 1 of 7
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: figment_uk
on: 11/01/2019 | 19:38

@cindyraey

All a SIM swap does is give you a new SIM with the same number.  If you have anything saved on the old SIM, you must back it up to your phone or other device BEFORE starting the SIM.   You cannot access anything on the old SIM after the SIM swap starts.

Unless you have specifically set your phone to save contacts to your SIM, they will be stored on your old phone.   If is usually possible to transfer contacts, photos/videos music etc from old phone to new using an app - google "transfer [make and model of old phone] to [make and model of new phone] for guidance. 

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.

Message 3 of 7
by: bilal86440
on: 11/01/2019 | 19:35

@cindyraey
Yes you can backup the contacts on your phone memory and then perform the SIM Swap. Once the SIM swap has completed you can transfer then back on your new SIM card.

The SIM swap will transfer your current number and any active goodybag / credit over to the new SIM and can be performed any time between 4.30am and 9.30pm

You can follow this https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Using-giffgaff/What-is-SIM-Swap/ta-p/7320084 fantastic guide i found on how to perform the SIM Swap or you can follow the SIM Swap video tutorial below:

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 7
on: 11/01/2019 | 19:38

@cindyraey

All a SIM swap does is give you a new SIM with the same number.  If you have anything saved on the old SIM, you must back it up to your phone or other device BEFORE starting the SIM.   You cannot access anything on the old SIM after the SIM swap starts.

Unless you have specifically set your phone to save contacts to your SIM, they will be stored on your old phone.   If is usually possible to transfer contacts, photos/videos music etc from old phone to new using an app - google "transfer [make and model of old phone] to [make and model of new phone] for guidance. 

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.

Message 3 of 7
by: macca28
on: 11/01/2019 | 19:41

@cindyraey Hi Smiley Happy

Sim Swap: Swapping your sim,
this can be performed anytime between 4.30am and 9.30pm
1 Back up contacts to your phone (if need be)
2 For sim swap, log into here https://giffgaff.com/activate
3 Put the 6 digit code in from your new sim, And click continue,
4 On the next page it will show the 6 digit activation codes and sim serial numbers of your current and new sim cards.
5 Click where it says... "Yes I want to replace my SIM"
(for mobile browsers please remember to scroll down to see)
6 On the next page click "yes I'm sure"

then wait up to 30 minutes or sooner (normally about 10 minutes) for activation,
this allows you to keep your number/goodybag and credit etc

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 7
by: various_mm
on: 11/01/2019 | 19:50
@cindyraey

you need to back the contacts up on your phone

then insert the new sim. and then copy them frpm your phone on to the new sim

there is no way to transfer contacts from one sim card to another as all that the sim swap does is only links the new sim to your existing account.
If my answer resolved your query then please mark it as a 'best answer'. Thank you!
Message 5 of 7
by: cindyraey
on: 11/01/2019 | 19:53
there doesn't seem to be an option to export to phone, only to sd card or sim. I have tried the export to sim and it didn't work
Message 6 of 7
on: 11/01/2019 | 20:05

@cindyraey wrote:

there doesn't seem to be an option to export to phone, only to sd card or sim. I have tried the export to sim and it didn't work

Which suggests they are already on the phone.

Message 7 of 7