standard simm - large area

Started by: richardmanning
On: 19/06/2014 | 23:38
Replies: 17

Go to best answer
by: richardmanning
on: 21/06/2014 | 12:20

For all you have replied, many thanks.

However as time marches on things change and sim technology is one of them. 

There are differnt contact sizes amongst the normal size simms, which with todays phones does not matter.  but older technology didnt think it would move on so they are stuck in their own little bubble.

So for information, there are different types of the large simms, but i expect there only a few of us silly people trying to find one of these larger contact simss.

Thanks again for all you who did  make the effort to reply

Richard

Message 11 of 18
on: 21/06/2014 | 12:26

oh no they are not all the same size.  Please see my reply to all.

and just in case ther are still doubter out there - I have samples of them - but not a giffgaff!!

Message 12 of 18
by: yahiroz
on: 21/06/2014 | 13:05

I'm not sure any giffgaff SIMs with the wider contact area exists considering how young the network is compared to everyone else. Don't think you'll be able to get your hands on one if this is the case.

HTC One M7 - Sense 6.0, Android 4.4.3
Google Nexus 10 - Android 4.4.4
Message 13 of 18
by: nigelbrooks
on: 21/06/2014 | 13:38

Richard

I have done a bit of research as I was around when onetoone was launched by Mercury (I supplied their contact centre back in 1989).

I believe you have the pre-agreement SIM (on the left in the image below) which standardised sizes across all networks and mobile manufacturers.

sim.jpg

A standard mini SIM is on the right.

Sadly, none of the mobile networks still provide 'pre-agreement' SIMs and, short of changing out the device in your car you are stuck.

Sorry.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 14 of 18
on: 21/06/2014 | 22:19

Hello Nigel,

You are the only one to understand the problem.  However my current sim (for the car phone) is  only about 2 years old on a pay as you go by Vodafone.

I tried to insert picture like yours but the word count was too large - how did you do that?

So the position is that I know they still use them but I need someone in the know in giffgaff who actually gets their hands on the stock them to reply and say if it is  possible they have maybe some old stock. 

Thanks again Nigel.  I think I will not get much further with this request

Richard

Message 15 of 18
by: punamv16
on: 21/06/2014 | 22:23
Just order a new sim then do a sim swap
Message 16 of 18
by: nigelbrooks
on: 22/06/2014 | 12:27 edited: 22/06/2014 | 12:29

@richardmanning 

Richard

Coming at this from another angle.

Have you asked the dealer from whom you purchased the car?

Is there an internet forum for your car?

They have probably encountered requests from other owners who want to change networks.

As to old stock SIMs at giffgaff there will not be any for the only sim sizes that giffgaff have used are the Mini, Micro (now a Mini/Micro hybrid) and latterly a nano SIM.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
I donate 100% of my SIM activation payback to charity, please help me boost the donation
Message 17 of 18
Highlighted
on: 22/06/2014 | 19:40

Nigel,

I do not have an issue with my current sim or indeed getting hold of another from some other network. 

The main reason is that I currently use the giffgaff sim for my mobile and decided to have a giffgaff sim for the car - which is not to be.

So I will stay as I am, but thanks for all the help

Richard

Message 18 of 18