Knowledge Base
Community

using my phone in canada

Started by: rodentking
On: 08/12/2011 | 02:20
Replies: 5

by: rodentking
on: 08/12/2011 | 02:20
Can i and will i have to change anything on my phone and how much will it cost me to make calls/messages?
Message 1 of 6
by: slamboom
on: 08/12/2011 | 02:30
You will just have to make sure that roaming is enabled. Most phones are already set up to allow roaming.

The following rates will apply

Roaming in other countries
Making calls and calling your voicemail (charging in per second increments after the first 30 seconds) £1 per minute
Receiving calls (charged in per minute increments) £1 per minute
Sending texts 30p per text
Receiving texts Free
Picture messages (MMS) to a UK mobile 16p per MMS
Picture messages (MMS) to any other mobile 24p per MMS
Data Roaming* £5 per MB

Turn off data roaming in your phone to save on data costs
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 6
by: bertiebat
on: 08/12/2011 | 02:31

It will work without any changes needed.

Here are the prices:

Making calls and calling your voicemail (charging in per second increments after the first 30 seconds)£1 per minute
Receiving calls (charged in per minute increments)£1 per minute
Sending texts30p per text
Receiving textsFree
Picture messages (MMS) to a UK mobile16p per MMS
Picture messages (MMS) to any other mobile24p per MMS
Data Roaming*£5 per MB

*Roaming data charges can build up quickly. If you are concerned about this we recommend setting your handset not to use data whilst abroad. More on roaming settings.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 6
by: rayhoo
on: 08/12/2011 | 02:31 edited: 08/12/2011 | 02:32

@rodentking wrote:
Can i and will i have to change anything on my phone and how much will it cost me to make calls/messages?

Your phone should be OK to use.  Make sure you have credit, as goodybags are for use from within the UK only.

Making calls and calling your voicemail (charging in per second increments after the first 30 seconds)     £1/min.
Receiving calls (charged in per minute increments)    £1/min.
Sending texts    30p
Receiving texts    Free
Picture messages (MMS):   Wherever you are in the world, sending an  (MMS) to any UK mobile number (wherever it may be in the world) (max 300KB) costs 16p, and sending to a non UK registered number costs 24p.  Downloading MMS is totally free.
Note:  Data must be enabled to use MMS but no extra data charge is made for using MMS.
Data Roaming     £5.00/MB

You may find MMS more useful there, take a look here:  http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Learn-giffgaff-Top-Tips/MMS-costs-SIMPLY/m-p/1478209/message-uid/14...

Message 5 of 6
by: ibiza
on: 08/12/2011 | 02:41

For the majority of roaming you are always cheaper getting a local sim.

ALSO - as Canadian mobiles have very low termination costs, a routed call to you from the UK is likely to cost 1p or less!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- - THOSE NOT POSTING NICELY - WILL BE TAKEN OUT THE BACK AND SHOT!! - -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 6 of 6