Knowledge Base
Community

vogatrice has a question about calls to international numbers but int'l phone is in UK

Started by: vogatrice
On: 28/03/2018 | 16:26
Replies: 5

Go to best answer
by: vogatrice
on: 28/03/2018 | 16:26
I'm unclear about this situation: I will be traveling in the UK this summer with a youth group. I will have a giffgaff SIM and goodybag. Not all the other chaperones will. If I call the Canadian phone number of a person standing next to me in the UK, is it true that this is still an international call and I need top-up credit? Seems obvious, but I ask because in Canada now, all cell numbers are treated as local calls even if the person is across the (very large) country with a different area code. When I go to the U.S., any calls I make on the Canadian phone to U.S. numbers are treated as local. I just don't have experience with UK calling generally and giffgaff specifically. So laugh all you want but please help me understand this! Thanks
Message 1 of 6
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
by: figment_uk
on: 28/03/2018 | 18:44 edited: 28/03/2018 | 18:45

@vogatrice

It doesn't matter where in the world the phone is, you are still calling a Canadian number and you call would be routed from the UK to Canada and back to the UK to find the roaming phone. 

You would pay (from airtime credit) for the cost of the call (2p per minute).  The owner of the Canadian number would be charged in accordance with their cell provider's tariff for international roaming, which possibly includes a charge for receiving calls when abroad.

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 6 of 6
by: danhamman
on: 28/03/2018 | 16:27

vogatrice wrote:

I'm unclear about this situation: I will be traveling in the UK this summer with a youth group. I will have a giffgaff SIM and goodybag. Not all the other chaperones will. If I call the Canadian phone number of a person standing next to me in the UK, is it true that this is still an international call and I need top-up credit? Seems obvious, but I ask because in Canada now, all cell numbers are treated as local calls even if the person is across the (very large) country with a different area code. When I go to the U.S., any calls I make on the Canadian phone to U.S. numbers are treated as local. I just don't have experience with UK calling generally and giffgaff specifically. So laugh all you want but please help me understand this! Thanks

Yes, call to a Canadian network SIM (wherever in the World that is) would be classed as an international call

@vogatrice

.:.
Message 2 of 6
by: vogatrice
on: 28/03/2018 | 16:34
That's what I assumed but wanted to be sure. Thanks for your help.
Message 3 of 6
by: jaymailsays
on: 28/03/2018 | 17:20
Any call to a non +44 code is an international rate call, for Canadian Mobiles that is 2p/minute from giffgaff.
Just add airtime credit in addition to your goodybag.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 6
by: pwei94
on: 28/03/2018 | 18:36
The people worth the Canadian sim will get hammered for taking the call as well.....
Message 5 of 6
by: figment_uk
on: 28/03/2018 | 18:44 edited: 28/03/2018 | 18:45

@vogatrice

It doesn't matter where in the world the phone is, you are still calling a Canadian number and you call would be routed from the UK to Canada and back to the UK to find the roaming phone. 

You would pay (from airtime credit) for the cost of the call (2p per minute).  The owner of the Canadian number would be charged in accordance with their cell provider's tariff for international roaming, which possibly includes a charge for receiving calls when abroad.

I do not work for giffgaff, so cannot check anything on your account. This is a public community - please do not post any personal info.
Message 6 of 6