Knowledge Base
Community

water damage

Started by: aaabzx3
On: 14/02/2011 | 17:21
Replies: 19
Reply

Go to best answer
by: shutterbug
on: 14/02/2011 | 17:42
First thing to do, after removing battery, SIM and any covers you can, is to immerse the phone in clean tap water.

This might sound crazy, but if you drop a phone (or camera etc) into pool water or salt water you need to wash it in fresh water to remove the chemicals or salt, as these will corrode the metal parts as it dries.

Once rinsed, you then need to dry the phone out fairly quickly. Get it as hot as you can without damaging the plastics. A hot airing cupboard would be good, or under and close to an angle poise lamp.

I suggest you dry it out like this for 48 hours, then pop the battery back in (NOT the SIM at this stage) and see if it works. Best of luck!

Click Here to request a die-cut giffgaff NANO-SIM with £5 credit for your iPhone 5!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To request a precut iPhone 4 microSIM with £5 bonus credit fill out this order form
For a standard SIM with £5 bonus credit please click the banner below.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 11 of 20
by: nigelhayman
on: 14/02/2011 | 17:48
There is a service provider that guarantees it's phones in water. Can't remember if it's called H 20 or H O2? lol
Message 12 of 20
by: aaabzx3
on: 14/02/2011 | 17:49

thanks shutterbag

il try that but i dont think it will work becuase its already corroded i think 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 13 of 20
by: andy0
on: 15/02/2011 | 12:35 edited: 15/02/2011 | 12:36

@shutterbug wrote:

Once rinsed, you then need to dry the phone out fairly quickly. Get it as hot as you can without damaging the plastics. A hot airing cupboard would be good, or under and close to an angle poise lamp.

to add to this, once it's touch dry, I''ve seen people suggest packing it with grains of rice to absorb residual water, and leaving it in the airing cupboard

Message 14 of 20
by: weeman
on: 15/02/2011 | 12:42

 


@shutterbug wrote:
First thing to do, after removing battery, SIM and any covers you can, is to immerse the phone in clean tap water.

This might sound crazy, but if you drop a phone (or camera etc) into pool water or salt water you need to wash it in fresh water to remove the chemicals or salt, as these will corrode the metal parts as it dries.

Once rinsed, you then need to dry the phone out fairly quickly. Get it as hot as you can without damaging the plastics. A hot airing cupboard would be good, or under and close to an angle poise lamp.

I suggest you dry it out like this for 48 hours, then pop the battery back in (NOT the SIM at this stage) and see if it works. Best of luck!

 

"Is that you doing the dishes love?" "No sweatheart I'm rinsing my mobiles"Smiley Very Happy

 

George

Message 15 of 20
by: joolzian
on: 15/02/2011 | 12:45

 


@andy0 wrote:

@shutterbug wrote:

Once rinsed, you then need to dry the phone out fairly quickly. Get it as hot as you can without damaging the plastics. A hot airing cupboard would be good, or under and close to an angle poise lamp.

to add to this, once it's touch dry, I''ve seen people suggest packing it with grains of rice to absorb residual water, and leaving it in the airing cupboard


You could also try silica crystals  or those lttle polymer beads used in gardening ,

 

Message 16 of 20
by: jeaniev
on: 14/08/2011 | 22:15

Take to pieces and put parts (card battery etc) in an airing cupboard : if it does not work if you buy an O2 phone from ARgos you get a top up you have to buy but you can use your Goff Sim card (YEP that survived my phones recent death by drowning") and I think you can use the £10 02 top up you have to buy as part of deal.

Message 17 of 20
by: s7ewar7
on: 14/08/2011 | 22:28

i dropped my iphone in water and tried everything.  what worked the most was removing everything you can (battery, memory cards, covers) wrap it in a LOT of toilet paper and put it in a small bag then place it on a warm radiator.  the heat damage shouldnt happen if its a gentle heat.

 

my iphone still didnt work - as the buttons seemed to stick and the camera iris didnt open.  i had to get the buttons replaced (£30 from a stall in the shopping centre) but the camera still didnt work and the battery life seemed very unreliable.    so am having to replace the phone but dont have to find the money to replace it right now as the £30 for the buttons was enough to have "do for now" fix.

Message 18 of 20
by: fruitcake1
on: 14/08/2011 | 22:35
As it was yesterday very little chance, it has beef said on this forum that wrapping the phone in a bag of rice for 24 hours will work.
Message 19 of 20
Highlighted
by: zobia22
former giff-staffer

on: 14/08/2011 | 22:56

Very old thread. I am now locking this thread Smiley Happy 

Search & Content Marketing Executive (Former Community Educator)

Message 20 of 20