Knowledge Base
Community

British Gas (not) Ending Paper Billing.

Started by: dtuxcomp
On: 06/12/2018 | 10:53
Replies: 11

by: dtuxcomp
on: 06/12/2018 | 10:53

Wasn't really sure where to post this so if someone thinks of a better home for it please let me or an Educator know so it can be moved.

As a British Gas dual fuel customer I'm billed quaterly and have stuck to paper billing no matter how many letters and emails they send offering to swap to online only billing. I'm an old git and it works for me, besides as I use a pre-pay PayPoint card to put money onto the account ahead of the bills arriving I like to staple the receipts to the old bill so I can keep track of what's been paid.

Anyway, yesterday evening I received an email from BG stating they were stopping paper billing and I'd have to sign up for online only. As I was doing half a dozen other things at the same time I almost signed up, then I scrolled all the way down the message and right near the bottom there was a very small line saying I could keep to paper billing by clicking the link in that line, so I've done that.

Crafty gits !!! I'm generally ok with their service so no suggestions on swapping to a different provider please, I just wanted to mention this so we can hopefully spread the word and stop other people getting tricked into giving up their paper billing by this email, as once you've given them the ok to stop I bet there's not an easy way to reverse that.

I double checked the email on my phone this morning and it wouldn't even scroll down to the relevant bit until I hit the "download complete message" button, but I managed to screen grab the important line, this is near the bottom of the email.

Screenshot_20181206-093600.png

So if you know someone who likes to keep their paper bills and is on BG please let them know.

D.

Smiley Happy Take my advice, I'm not using it | Dtuxcomp's Tips | Free Giffgaff SIM with £5 credit
Message 1 of 12
by: leigh2180
on: 06/12/2018 | 18:15
@dtuxcomp
this surreptitious bullying by BG and the like is exactly the reason why so many are dumping them - including the elders we support.

We get you not wanting to move . All we can say is we hope you do eventually so may other cheaper folk out there having to be upfront with their offering to differentiate themselves from BG; with better customer service; more cost efficient rates and PAPER billing, too!!!

Have a great Christmas and stay warm, Leigh and family
Message 2 of 12
on: 06/12/2018 | 18:27
@leigh2180 Thanks for your message, on the whole I've not got any issues with the BG service and have it set up the way that works for us, but I thought it important to draw attention to this email. I've sent a similar message to the OP on to the Martin Lewis MSE Team in case they'd not heard of it.

Best wishes to you and yours also.
Smiley Happy Take my advice, I'm not using it | Dtuxcomp's Tips | Free Giffgaff SIM with £5 credit
Message 3 of 12
by: bert2626
on: 06/12/2018 | 18:57
Thanks for posting this we have always had paper bills and will never sign up to do it online. BG no complaints over the years would only say when you go away on a big trip abroad to escape winter and don't use much gas they always send someone round to read the meter. Same goes for EDF.
Message 4 of 12
on: 06/12/2018 | 19:45

@bert2626 wrote:

Thanks for posting this we have always had paper bills and will never sign up to do it online. BG no complaints over the years would only say when you go away on a big trip abroad to escape winter and don't use much gas they always send someone round to read the meter. Same goes for EDF.

@bert2626  You're welcome, pass it on, I don't mind them offering paperless, a lot of people prefer that, but if I hadn't taken a good look at all of the email I would have been left thinking there wasn't a choice to keep the paper bills Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 12
on: 07/12/2018 | 02:12
Ok, now something odd is going on with this thread Smiley Happy I keep getting notifications for it, but the only thing I've seen change is the reply button on post 2 was greyed out for a bit and is now back Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised
Message 6 of 12
by: kathleen414
on: 07/12/2018 | 15:27

Happy to add this tip @dtuxcomp

Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
by: jt_21
on: 07/12/2018 | 15:27

@dtuxcomp Nothing wrong with wanting paper billing ....and nothing wrong with being an old git ..... I prefer paper billing, I'm old Skool and .... I'm an old git 

Lets hope that they don't start charging for the paper billing.... that would not be on D

Message 8 of 12
on: 07/12/2018 | 17:12

@jt_21 wrote:

@dtuxcomp Nothing wrong with wanting paper billing ....and nothing wrong with being an old git ..... I prefer paper billing, I'm old Skool and .... I'm an old git 

Lets hope that they don't start charging for the paper billing.... that would not be on D

@jt_21  Old gits unite Smiley Wink

A while back they were offering a £10 incentive to swap from paper billing, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if you're right and they add a disinsentive Smiley Happy

I just don't like the bait and switch approach, I know they do online only, I know I could "save" money by swapping to monthly DD's etc. etc. but don't try to trick me into changing something.

Message 9 of 12
on: 07/12/2018 | 17:13
@kathleen414 Thank you hon, the more eyes it gets to the better Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 12