Hot Deals & Tips Guidelines - READ ME FIRST

Started by: juan_p
On: 11/10/2017 | 11:47
Replies: 15

by: juan_p
former giff-staffer

on: 11/10/2017 | 11:47 edited: 11/10/2017 | 11:48

Hi all,

After a lot of moving around and due to popular request, Hot Deals & Tips finally have a home directly in the forums. And to make it as easy to navigate, there will be some basic rules in place to make sure members can get the best experience possible.

Let’s start with the basics:

What are considered Hot Deals & Tips?

Hot Deals: posts that can help members discover a great discount or deal.

Example: An online sale, a discount coupon, a specific price reduction, etc.

Tips: small bite sized tips or discoveries that help in your day to day. Larger guides or discussions still have their place in our main board.

Example: Top 5 tips to save in groceries, a great online site, life hacks, etc.

Please note that in both cases, referral codes will not be accepted and will be removed. We want our Deals and Tips to be motivated by the quality of it and not by personal gain. Of course, all tips should be your own content and not copy and pasted from another site. You can still draw on them for inspiration, but they must be written in your own words.

What should be included in the title?

If it’s a Hot Deal, it should include the prefix [Deal] and end with the expiration date. The title itself should be as clear as possible and make a direct reference to the deal itself, avoiding click bait tactics.

Example:

Correct: [Deal] 20% off Budweiser in Aldi [23-10-17]

Incorrect: Great savings for ladies…

For a tip, just adding the prefix [Tip] will suffice, but please make the title clear and as relevant as possible.

Example: 

Correct: [Tip] 5 ideas for a great Halloween party

Incorrect: Have you considered...

What should be included in a Hot Deal post?

As we live in an online world, a direct link to the deal in question is a must when possible. You could have written a great deal about a double mirrored wardrobe in Argos, picture and all, but without a link our members will have to rely on searches and jumping through hoops to get there.

Also, if there are any specific steps you need to complete to be able to profit from the deal, please make sure you explain them properly.

What should be included in a Tip post?

Not that many rules for tips, but just make sure they are quick and to the point. If you notice while writing that your tip overruns (shouldn’t be more than 2 paragraphs), you might want to consider turning it into a nice guide and post it on our main board. Especially if you believe that it could turn into a communal effort or interesting conversation.

Of course, each Tip will have to be considered in context and on a case by case basis, so if you have any questions please let me know.

When will these changes take place?

To give you a bit more time, these guidelines will start taking effect on Monday, October 16th, and will not be retroactive. However, if you wish to start adopting them early, I would really appreciate it as I believe everyone would benefit from them.

As you can see, these are just some very basic rules to help keep our board clean and easy to understand at a glance and especially in early stages I will help you as much as I can to make sure everything is ship-shape, but please bear in mind that when competitions are involved, only posts that follow these guidelines will be considered for entry.

If you have any questions feel free to drop me either a PM or a mention below and we can have a chat.

Message 1 of 16
by: joolzian
on: 11/10/2017 | 13:23

Good to see these being standardised makes the board much tidier and saves opening posts of no interest. Thanks. 

Message 2 of 16
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 11/10/2017 | 13:26

Afternoon jaun  @juan_p

That's should make it much easier and any I add I will start right away 

Message 3 of 16
by: juan_p
former giff-staffer

on: 11/10/2017 | 13:29
Great seeing some approval on this. I am foreseeing a slow uptake on this, but I'm willing to do the effort to try and keep it going.

And fun fact @bluemoonbaz did you know that "Jaun" is how they spelled my name on my office pass? I found it too hilarious to correct it and now wear it with pride.
Message 4 of 16
by: giffer23
on: 13/10/2017 | 06:55
Good to see these improvements, thank you.
Message 5 of 16
by: chand311
on: 13/10/2017 | 20:06

@juan_p thanks for updating. 

Message 6 of 16
by: mmaginty
on: 18/10/2017 | 17:19
Good idea on the standardization! Hopefully its fully accepted!
Message 7 of 16
by: louholden
on: 12/11/2017 | 03:00
It's brilliant what GG offers its members now.😀
Message 8 of 16
by: cass905
on: 13/11/2017 | 13:13
I'm glad I finally got around to reading this not just for the giggle at our @juan_p or should we call you jaun ? Lol Smiley Wink no I prefer juan Smiley Happy 
Message 9 of 16
by: asghir14
on: 21/11/2017 | 11:43
Thanks for the info very useful will be implementing it hopefully.
Message 10 of 16