Started by: ray2
On: 29/09/2015 | 18:33
Replies: 32

Go to best answer
by: estherkem
former giff-staffer

on: 30/09/2015 | 10:18

@ray2

Thanks for this thread, reminds me of my grandparents.

I find it important to share that they all lived well so all the effort they made was a result of their attitude not that they were tight on money. 

They never throw out food: dry bread became breadcrumbs, fruits became dried fruits for Winter and they were super creative to cook food from the ingredients they already had. They even went out to pick rosehips so they don't spend money on buying the tea in a shop. They also planted all kinds of herbs and dried them. If they could do something themselves they didn't spend on it!

Message 11 of 33
by: ray2
on: 30/09/2015 | 10:50 edited: 30/09/2015 | 10:58

estherkem wrote:

@ray2

Thanks for this thread, reminds me of my grandparents.

I find it important to share that they all lived well so all the effort they made was a result of their attitude not that they were tight on money. 

They never throw out food: dry bread became breadcrumbs, fruits became dried fruits for Winter and they were super creative to cook food from the ingredients they already had. They even went out to pick rosehips so they don't spend money on buying the tea in a shop. They also planted all kinds of herbs and dried them. If they could do something themselves they didn't spend on it!

hi @estherkem

it,s brilliant to read  what you learn,t or saw from your grandparents

they just knew how to make the most of everything they had,i would never think about winter in the summer,yet both our grandparents seem to do this as a natural way of life,preserving what they could,did you ever go rosehip picking with them?

is there anything you do now that your grandparents used to do?

for me my nan gave me the snail money box (she,s 95 now bless her and my grandad has passed)

so i now collect my 20 pence pieces and i hand them out to my grandchildren when the snail is full.

and i also make my own bread,nan said there was no preservatives in them days you baked daily,and kept the bread covered, and smother with dripping  sometimes for tea ,she said it was delicious,she still buys lard to this day to fry in,then keeps the drippings in the fridge for lunch the next day,i can,t make myself go that far so i stick to the fresh bread Smiley Happy

if we can go back and read or talk to our grandparents or mum and dad we can save qyite a bit around the home,and also with our food bills,has life become too busy that we now pay over the odds for convenience,how many of us pay £2-£3 for a coffee on the way to work ??

or buy a baguette for lunch that costs £4-£5 before we know it we are spending £5-£8 a day without even thinking about it,yet if we took 10 minutes at home and made a sandwich and filled a flask with coffee,how much could we saveSmiley Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 12 of 33
by: kath72
on: 30/09/2015 | 11:46

Grandparents really knew how to do it from necessecity!  My gran brought up 4 kids on a vicars salary in post war Britain... nothing was wasted and I have taken after her

I make bread, and jam (apple and cinnamon cooking as i type and waiting on the blackberries ripening) and nearly all our sweet treats!  If fruit is over ripe it will go in a cake 

Like yours, my gran reused all clothing.... she once cut down an old dress of hers and made one for me.  any good bits were used for patchwork quilts, those beyond redemption for floor cloths.  buttons were removed first for re-use.  Old sheets with holes were 'side to middled' although i don't think that would work with fitted ones

Message 13 of 33
on: 30/09/2015 | 12:02

kath72 wrote:

Grandparents really knew how to do it from necessecity!  My gran brought up 4 kids on a vicars salary in post war Britain... nothing was wasted and I have taken after her

I make bread, and jam (apple and cinnamon cooking as i type and waiting on the blackberries ripening) and nearly all our sweet treats!  If fruit is over ripe it will go in a cake 

Like yours, my gran reused all clothing.... she once cut down an old dress of hers and made one for me.  any good bits were used for patchwork quilts, those beyond redemption for floor cloths.  buttons were removed first for re-use.  Old sheets with holes were 'side to middled' although i don't think that would work with fitted ones

hi @kath72

im drooling,apple and cinnamon jam sounds delicious,i think it,s a special thing to be able to draw from our familys many different ways of saving within the home,and to not forget the art of cooking and making our own things just the way they did and save money at the same time.

we have lots of blackberry bushes by our house,you have made me feel i want to go and pick the last of the ripe ones and get jamming,it,s been a long time,the last jams i made was with nan about 3 yrs ago (she can,t anymore at 95 bless her,her legs are not so good)

we made blackberry jam and orange marmalade,i encouraged her to give them out as presents to her friends,at first she was dead against it,but i said to her many of your friends nan can,t make jams anymore through illness or just not being able to go out and pick their own fruits,imagine getting a jar of proper home made jam to bring back all the good memories,nan said afterwards it really brought out some funny storys and brilliant memories for people and cheered them up,

i think nan would really appreciate some blackberry jam and shortcake buiscuits this christmas

thanks kathy you also brought back a good memory for me too

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 14 of 33
by: kath72
on: 30/09/2015 | 13:13

One thing i don't think I could do though... My mum and her sister had rabbits both of which were supposed to be female, one was not!

they were kept in a pen in the garden and by the third generation rabbit was on the menu several times a week... it eeked out the rations and the budget.  Don't think I could do the slaughter and skinning which make me a complete hypocrite as i eat meat

Message 15 of 33
on: 30/09/2015 | 13:35

kath72 wrote:

One thing i don't think I could do though... My mum and her sister had rabbits both of which were supposed to be female, one was not!

they were kept in a pen in the garden and by the third generation rabbit was on the menu several times a week... it eeked out the rations and the budget.  Don't think I could do the slaughter and skinning which make me a complete hypocrite as i eat meat

hi @kath72

lol i couldn,t Smiley Wink either, my hubby used to have ferrets and went rabbiting with his brother a few times a year,they would stand by the back door skinning and gutting the rabbits to put in the chest freezer,but no matter how i tried to disguise the meat in stews or a pie the kids wouldn,t eat it,

so we ended up selling them to the butcher at £1 per rabbit plus no more skinning and gutting to do,was quite good if they caught 15 or 20 plus the butcher would knock a little bit off any meat i wanted.

so if anyone has ferrets and are catching more than they can store or eat,try your local butchers to help bring in a little money,they may like they did me also give you a little of any meat you want to buy Smiley Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 16 of 33
by: sarahbanahnah
on: 30/09/2015 | 13:47
Thta's true actually. With the technologies these days, we are so unaware of common sense things like this!
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Click the banner above for a free giffgaff SIM with free airtime credit of £5.
If you can't see it, then click the link below:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/sarahbanahnah
Message 17 of 33
Highlighted
by: andath
on: 30/09/2015 | 17:41

Great to read one of @ray2 well run threads again.

My nan used to save all the dregs from the tea pot as she said cold tea was great plant food. She'd collect it all in an old bottle and 'water' her plants/herbs, inside and out with it every few weeks. Her plants always looked great.

Message 18 of 33
by: wilpatgala
on: 30/09/2015 | 20:20
I know how it was with the older folk, my parents and grandparents, where everything was put to good use and absolutely nothing thrown out.
Get a free giffgaff SIM. It includes £5 free credit, yay!
Message 19 of 33
on: 30/09/2015 | 22:38

andath wrote:

Great to read one of @ray2 well run threads again.

My nan used to save all the dregs from the tea pot as she said cold tea was great plant food. She'd collect it all in an old bottle and 'water' her plants/herbs, inside and out with it every few weeks. Her plants always looked great.

hi @andath

thankyou,what a great tip from your nan to use the dregs from the teapot for plant food,theres so much we can learn from our elderly parents/grandparents,and i really appreciate you sharing what your nan did,

it shows there are many tips and savings to be had within our home,and this is a prime example,and the proof is in the fantastic plants your nan grew Smiley Happy

do you now do this yourself for your plants ?,or are you like me completely un green fingered lol

my hubby is the only one thats managed to grow anything,i shall pass on your tip, we may become green fingered yet Smiley LOL

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 20 of 33