Flarum: your daily sneak peek - Reactions and Emojis

Started by: alex_w
On: 05/07/2019 | 19:56
Replies: 15

by: alex_w
community giff-staffer

on: 05/07/2019 | 19:56

Hi all,

I was halfway through writing up a sneak peek for Private Messages, but encountered some problems with a bug that we need to fix. So I've instead thrown together this one quickly to take us into the weekend. It's a two-for-one, taking a quick look at how you'll be able to react to posts as well as how easy it will be to add whatever emoji takes your fancy to your posts.

Post Reactions

First up: Post Reactions. These are pretty simple. Obviously, today, you have only one option: add a Kudos. In the new platform, we could keep that single option, or we can add pretty much as many options as we can find a purpose for. The system is very easy to customise for us as admins, and very easy for you as members to use. Here are some desktop screenshots:

Below, you can see that we've configured 7 different reactions at the moment. But we could have more, or less, or different ones. It's open for discussion - so let us know what types of reactions you think make sense for the giffgaff community.

React 1.jpgHover over the Reaction icon to reveal the options

Below, we have the reactions menu open and the mouse pointer (which the screenshot helpfully hides) is hovering over the "glad" reaction.

React 2.jpgMouseover each option for a brief description

Below, the glad reaction has been added. Now, if I decide I've added that by mistake I can remove it as easily as just clicking on it. I can then add one of the others instead.

React 3.jpgA post with two differing reactions

Here we go, I've now added the crying-rolling-laughing reaction instead.

React 4.jpgA post with 2 reactions of the same type

Adding emojis to your posts

These are easy. Simply type a ":" and a neat little menu pops up suggesting some emojis. You can then start typing an emoji name and the system will begin updating to refine the list it shows you:

Emoji 1.jpgEmoji picker is open

If I type "chick", I've suddenly got a refined list. Not sure where those chopsticks have come from - perhaps it thinks I'm having a Chinese chicken dish for dinner.

Emoji 2.jpgSearching for an emoji

And here we have some emojis added to my post:

Emoji 3.jpgEmojis in a post

Both of these features work equally well on mobile (if not better in the case of the emojis). I'll drop back on Monday to add some mobile device screenshots.

Community Platform Manager - Powered by coffee.
Message 1 of 16
by: sarahbanahnah
on: 06/07/2019 | 09:27
Wooow! So excited to see this and I was the first one to read this! Way to go! Made my day!
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Click the banner above for a free giffgaff SIM with free airtime credit of £5.
If you can't see it, then click the link below:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/sarahbanahnah
Message 2 of 16
by: blackfive460
on: 06/07/2019 | 15:05

@alex_w 

I completely agree that we need to have a serious discussion about Reactions but first there needs to be a full explanation concerning their purpose, how they differ from simple emojis and how, and indeed if the intention is to use them as a means to highlight or promote popular posts or demote unpopular ones.

You may recall a discussion some time ago regarding Reactions when Vanilla was under consideration. If Flarum's implementation is similar with the same usage possibilities then I'd be a strong proponent of having a good range of positive and negative Reactions. If not and these are simply a replacement for Kudos then there's little point as I can't see negative Kudos being popular with some sections of the community.

We need to know far more about Reactions, their potential use and giffgaff's intentions for them.

Over to you...

Message 3 of 16
by: o__o
on: 07/07/2019 | 13:10
Wow I'm loving the idea of reactions 🤩🤩 fab
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 16
by: foolish
on: 07/07/2019 | 14:41

Does the menu appear every time you type in a colon even if your intent is to use a colon  to punctuate?

Message 5 of 16
by: sha_shah1
on: 07/07/2019 | 21:00

@alex_w 

Thanks for updating us i hope this feature will be intersting 

All the best

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 16
by: shabazmoqsud
on: 08/07/2019 | 13:09

wow the sneak peaks make things more exciting when the platform change is finally implemented.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 16
by: brulaw
on: 09/07/2019 | 00:42

@alex_w 

Hi Alex , thank you for this latest Sneak Preview  , once again the preview shows off how adaptable and ' tweakable ' Flarum is turning out to be  ..... looking forward to the next instalment of sneak previews . 

Message 8 of 16
by: mifi6262
on: 09/07/2019 | 07:28

Are we really going to turn the forums into just another social media platform?

I dont think this has been thought through and its not where the effort should be concentrated.

There are enough time wasting topics on the forums already without encouraging it. If we must have this then it should only be in the general discussion area. Its inappropriate for the help and contribute sections.

Message 9 of 16
by: alex_w
community giff-staffer

on: 09/07/2019 | 10:24

@blackfive460 wrote:

@alex_w 

I completely agree that we need to have a serious discussion about Reactions but first there needs to be a full explanation concerning their purpose, how they differ from simple emojis and how, and indeed if the intention is to use them as a means to highlight or promote popular posts or demote unpopular ones.

You may recall a discussion some time ago regarding Reactions when Vanilla was under consideration. If Flarum's implementation is similar with the same usage possibilities then I'd be a strong proponent of having a good range of positive and negative Reactions. If not and these are simply a replacement for Kudos then there's little point as I can't see negative Kudos being popular with some sections of the community.

We need to know far more about Reactions, their potential use and giffgaff's intentions for them.

Over to you...

All good questions. And yes, we do remember the previous discussions (in relation to Vanilla). @t_will might drop by at some point, as much of that conversation will still be relevant.

Anyway, in regards to Reactions within Flarum: at the moment, it's a pretty simple system. You can add a Reaction, and it will indicate on the post what reaction you gave (along with those of other members). In future, however, we can (and likely will) layer on some additional functionality. Some thoughts that come to mind:

• Separate Reactions lists depending on area. For eg Help & Support could have "Thanks", "Great Answer", "Didn't Help Me", etc. While Contribute could have "Agree", "Disagree", "Great Idea" and similar. General Discussion, on the other hand, could have more traditional social media reactions (like the ones I showed in this thread).
  • Functional changes depending on reactions received - so for example, a post in Help & Support that is getting a lot of "Great Answer" reactions could be automatically flagged for review to become a Best Answer. While a post with a lot of "Didn't Help Me" reactions could be flagged for review by an Educator.
  • Anything else we can think of that might be beneficial to the community.
Community Platform Manager - Powered by coffee.
Message 10 of 16