Knowledge Base
Community

Kudos, Best Answers, etc. and Vanilla...

Started by: blackfive460
On: 10/11/2018 | 11:51
Replies: 72

Highlighted
by: blackfive460
on: 10/11/2018 | 11:51

The subject of kudos abuse came up in another thread recently and that prompted me to look into what is available with the new forum software that we will be seeing before too long.

What I've seen in the documentation for Vanilla (https://docs.vanillaforums.com/developer/) suggests that we can have similar features; Likes instead of kudos for example, compared to what we have now.

However, rather than simply duplicating what we already have, I think it might be useful, if giffgaff is prepared to listen (@alex_w  how about it?) to start a discussion on what changes might be appropriate and if any alternatives that the new software offers might improve things. For example could 'Reactions' (https://docs.vanillaforums.com/help/reputation/reactions/) be a replacement for kudos in some areas?

It might also be worth considering if the various features we currently have are appropriate in all sections of the Community. For example, should Best Answers be available everywhere that they currently appear?

Should kudos or its replacement be allowed everywhere? To give an example; it's not hard to find threads in Announcements where posts effectively saying nothing more than, 'Thanks for the information', are receiving double figure kudos. Is this appropriate or does it devalue kudos?

How about Ranks? Do we have here an opportunity to either change to something simpler or even get rid altogether?

I'm sure giffgaff are already considering how best to introduce the new software but, hopefully any changes are not yet set in stone so perhaps we can have some input into how OUR community is going to work in the future.

Message 1 of 73
by: extreme_one
on: 10/11/2018 | 12:30

I fully expect giffgaff to start a thread, asking for ideas and suggestions, then to leave said thread floundering for a couple of weeks, before dismissing most of the ideas presented and implementing something that will frustrate and infuriate the majority of the membership.

That's just how I expect things to go, based on past experience.

Smiley Indifferent
Message 2 of 73
by: mollyrun11
on: 10/11/2018 | 13:06
Yeh I hope there is a thread that everything you have listed about the information should be made so we all know how it's going to work its going to be a lot to take in as it's going to be a whole different set up from this one so many questions we need the thread now for answers
Message 3 of 73
by: gizzblue
on: 10/11/2018 | 14:22

It's a perfect opportunity to get rid of kudos on gd for example .

And rewarding people who help out more than just the stuffing posters .

We can all hope this will be a far cry from the last format 'forced' upon the community (while still completely unfit for purpose)...here's hoping the powers that be have learnt from the last input thread they mostly ignored ,and get this move right for all concearned first time .

We lost a good few community members too with the last switch .

Jay

Message 4 of 73
by: ujo55
on: 10/11/2018 | 14:34
According to the announcement thread there should be an opportunity to discuss things:
https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Announcements/Big-changes-ahead-for-the-giffgaff-community/td-p/22...
Extract:
Most importantly: we want to bring you along with us on this journey. At the earliest possible opportunity we will be inviting some members to join us on the first Vanilla hosted development community, to help provide feedback from the moment we start implementing giffgaff specific designs and features. As we progress through development, we’ll invite more members to join us and help shape the future of the giffgaff community.

When will we be making those invites? We’re currently expecting to do that in October, however initially it will be for a small group only. As we progress we’ll add more members to the testing group, as we’ll want some fresh eyes on what we’re working on as we go. If you’d like to part of the initial group, or one of the later groups, drop a reply here and let us know.

However I'm not sure that what is being discussed here is a ground up review of the design and functionality, which should perhaps have been the first phase, and maybe was in the Community Platform Group - somehing I was unaware of.

Anyway if asked we'd probably come up with the wrong answers.
Message 5 of 73
by: k89bpa
on: 10/11/2018 | 20:38
I've been thinking about this since I read the thread at lunchtime and I really just wanna see a fast forum with a simple, light, user friendly design and interface and no stupid, pointless distracting gimmicks, (and the ability to stick users on ignore and wipe them and their content from my view obviously, oh and markdown/common mark text input too).

Simple, clean, easy, quick, customizable.

I know I'm probably asking way too much wanting even one of those things let alone all of them but ever the optimist ^_^

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 80GB

Message 6 of 73
by: ip633
on: 10/11/2018 | 21:11

I’d definitely change the term “best answer”, as it’s always created an unhealthy competition in Help & Support, and it just encourages people to keep posting after technically correct information has already been supplied. “Best answer” doesn’t even imply that a problem has been solved necessarily, so let’s go back to keeping things simple, and use the more recognised term of “solution”. 

At least it would be consistent with our member profiles, which still lists the number of solutions that have been attained. 

Message 7 of 73
on: 10/11/2018 | 21:30

@ip633 wrote:

I’d definitely change the term “best answer”, as it’s always created an unhealthy competition in Help & Support, and it just encourages people to keep posting after technically correct information has already been supplied. “Best answer” doesn’t even imply that a problem has been solved necessarily, so let’s go back to keeping things simple, and use the more recognised term of “solution”. 

At least it would be consistent with our member profiles, which still lists the number of solutions that have been attained. 

I think "Accepted answer" would be most appropriate when a user selects it, and "Best answer" when BA setters deem it so. That way there could be two distinctions...

Smiley Indifferent
Message 8 of 73
by: ip633
on: 11/11/2018 | 08:26

@extreme_one wrote:

I think "Accepted answer" would be most appropriate when a user selects it, and "Best answer" when BA setters deem it so. That way there could be two distinctions...

Is that an important distinction to make?

And would we want two sets of stats?

It’s nearly always a subjective decision, and it’s not made any easier when the same information is often being duplicated in successive replies. One thing that struck me recently, is that some BA awards seem to be based on presentation, rather than actual content. So for example, you can post the correct answer, but half an hour later someone could simply reiterate your advice, maybe add a couple of links, or a useful screenshot, and their post then suddenly stands out as being the perfect answer. And it’s particularly harsh if you’re one of those people who might want to adopt a similar approach, but are struggling with limited functionality on a mobile device (hopefully that situation will improve with the new platform).

But we seem to have lost sight of what’s most important here, and if I asked a question in a community forum, as soon as I receive a reply that solves my problem, then that’s all I need to know. Other than thanking people for their help, I don’t think I’d be hanging around to pass judgment on any other replies that may come in. 

Message 9 of 73
on: 11/11/2018 | 12:09

Often @ip633 I've noticed an answer awarded as Best when it's been awful advice.

I think Best should be decided by the Best Answer setters. This might very well be the same as the Accepted answer on many occasions, but sometimes the Best Answer is one that hadn't been awarded by the question setter. 

Smiley Indifferent
Message 10 of 73