Knowledge Base
Community

Kudos, Best Answers, etc. and Vanilla...

Started by: blackfive460
On: 10/11/2018 | 11:51
Replies: 72
Reply

by: jokeyboi77
on: 14/11/2018 | 13:22

Agreed @essie112mm about input from Will, or whoever, considering this is going live next year and it'll save making any changes to the site once it does go live. And thinking more about it being open to abuse, it is a fair point to say that all options are open to abuse, as they are now to an extent, so yes a quick look at it from staff can see from the tracking system if there is a pattern of abuse and that too can be quickly acted upon, so I think it would be a fairer system to hide those insufficient content posts and would be a system, I feel, everyone could agree on. 

Message 31 of 73
Highlighted
by: blackfive460
on: 22/11/2018 | 11:22

Ah well, it was worth a try...

 

It was worth a try to start a serious discussion with giffgaff about how we, that's us and giffgaff could consider if using some of the new features that are arriving with the new forum software would improve things, things that we feel aren't as good as they could be to everyone's benefit.

 

Seemingly giffgaff aren't interested so this has become yet another fine example of what is wrong with this community.

The lack of interest from giffgaff here and in other threads, including some started by staff seems to have caused, aside from a few community stalwarts, a general lack of interest in such matters from most of the community. Who can blame them?

 

I've no wish to turn this into another 'is it worth bothering?' thread so let's leave it at that and let giffgaff get on with it.

 

Message 32 of 73
by: essie112mm
on: 22/11/2018 | 12:40

My thoughts exactly.

 

This thread could and should have been stickied.

 

It could also have been featured in The gaff but it wasn't. Instead an old thread started by a member of staff already on maternity leave was preferred. 

 

The indifference of giffgaff to threads like this leave me feeling very indifferent about the future of The Panel. 

27/08/2017
My @mentions are turned OFF
Message 33 of 73
by: as7861
on: 22/11/2018 | 15:15
Hi,

in the past till now I have noticed, giffgaff do listen. Its human nature to want things done within a certain time frame . However, personally I feel giffgaff should be lurking until they have the system to test, then we can say okay this discussion beared fruit and this one didnt, as this will allow us to see the feature in action Smiley Happy

But its a matter of view i guess...

But thinking about if I were to feel a thread needs a nudge then i would PM a educator etc. I am sure they can give whoever a nudge to reply.

- Amer Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 34 of 73
by: ip633
on: 22/11/2018 | 15:58 edited: 22/11/2018 | 16:01

@as7861 wrote:

Hi,

in the past till now I have noticed, giffgaff do listen. Its human nature to want things done within a certain time frame . However, personally I feel giffgaff should be lurking until they have the system to test, then we can say okay this discussion beared fruit and this one didnt, as this will allow us to see the feature in action Smiley Happy

But its a matter of view i guess...

But thinking about if I were to feel a thread needs a nudge then i would PM a educator etc. I am sure they can give whoever a nudge to reply.

I'm sorry, but they shouldn't be lurking, they need to be actively involved in these kind of discussions. You talk about people wanting to get things done within a certain timeframe, but some issues have been left unresolved for over a year, such as the question of payback eligibility in relation to giffgaff gameplan. It really is poor, but the sad thing is that they that seem to be immune to such criticism.

Message 35 of 73
by: blackfive460
on: 22/11/2018 | 16:54

@ip633 wrote:

I'm sorry, but they shouldn't be lurking, they need to be actively involved in these kind of discussions.

 +1

 

Or at least they could provide some reasonable explanation for not getting involved if the timing isn't right or there's another good reason.

Just ignoring us sends a very poor message about how they see this community.

 

Sorry, I did say I didn't want to turn this into another 'why bother' thread.

Best to just let this thread die a natural death and not bother trying in future...

Message 36 of 73
by: as7861
on: 22/11/2018 | 17:28

Hi @blackfive460 @ip633

 

It was personal view for this kind of system change. I was typing from a mobile. So expanding on a laptop is much easier Smiley Tongue 

 

It was not my intention to say yes all issue giffgaff should be lurking but it gives me an opportunity to expand Smiley Happy 

 

So when I was running a project on the community that was technical. Remember? mobile status webpage it would take me some time to develop in the background and then when it was fixed I would come back then to say yes its fixed or features that needed to be added etc. I would personally have an answer that is confirmed after an initial post.  Yes, I understood that it would cause frustration, as to the page traffic was increasing and it had to be up 100% of the time, which difficult at times. Creating a new feature was the most difficult, as it took me a month or so to develop. Another aspect was included was moving server this was the most difficult retaining those feature but also enabling the new features. This is my personal experience and this driven me to say that "lurking" is good until the beta comes out.

 

But  Yes if it not been replied to or has been left for ages. it might give a bad impression, personally, I would PM an educator/staffer to find any progress, as an OP of a thread,

 

But on the point of reactions, as a viable option, I still see it as a great feature.

 

- Amer Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 37 of 73
by: guy_ow
community giff-staffer

on: 22/11/2018 | 18:24
Evening @blackfive460 and everyone else

I'll admit I have been lurking myself, first to see how the thread developed, secondly as I popped off on annual leave for a week. Having just caught up with things in this thread, I do have to say there have been some great suggestions brought up by numerous members. Some of which have made me personally think about in more detail.

I don't think this thread is turning into a 'why bother' thread, as it is definitely bringing to the forefront what members wish to see to help improve how the community works as a whole.
Message 38 of 73
by: bluemoonbaz
on: 22/11/2018 | 18:52 edited: 22/11/2018 | 19:01

@essie112mm wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

 

This thread could and should have been stickied.

 

It could also have been featured in The gaff but it wasn't. Instead an old thread started by a member of staff already on maternity leave was preferred. 

 

The indifference of giffgaff to threads like this leave me feeling very indifferent about the future of The Panel. 

@essie112mm@blackfive460

Yes this could have been featured in the gaff and I can see your point. 

But for a future note,  iam allways happy to bring topical issues to the members and have done previously. 

If anyone has or sees a thread that they feels needs highlighting then please let me know. 

My pm is open and as it happens I was just reading this thread whilst looking for this week's edition .

 

Edit : 

Maybe I could add a Featured Topic of discussion ? 

 

Message 39 of 73
by: ip633
on: 22/11/2018 | 19:02

@guy_ow wrote:

Evening @blackfive460 and everyone else

I'll admit I have been lurking myself, first to see how the thread developed, secondly as I popped off on annual leave for a week. Having just caught up with things in this thread, I do have to say there have been some great suggestions brought up by numerous members. Some of which have made me personally think about in more detail.

I don't think this thread is turning into a 'why bother' thread, as it is definitely bringing to the forefront what members wish to see to help improve how the community works as a whole.

But if you read through the entire thread, there are a number of opportunities to either address concerns, or clarify the kind of approach that giffgaff would like to see. In his one and only post, Will even left us with this tantalising thought:

 

I'll let someone with more Help experience weigh in on Best Answers etc”

 

I’ve seen some threads where staff are tagging each other, and still aren’t joining in the conversation. I just can’t understand why they wouldn’t want to share their thoughts. 

Message 40 of 73