Knowledge Base
Community

Kudos, Best Answers, etc. and Vanilla...

Started by: blackfive460
On: 10/11/2018 | 11:51
Replies: 72

by: guy_ow
community giff-staffer

on: 22/11/2018 | 19:37
@ip633 - I do agree, unfortunately I personally don't yet feel in a position to fully address all these things myself. I could try but I would quite possibly ramble.

I do recall a time where Best Answers were referred to as Accepted Solutions, and I know it's an option I would be open to see again. I notice there was a idea put forward to possibly have two titles depending on who set the answer, this also is an idea which to me sounds really good, it's a side of Vanilla I wouldn't know about, so can't comment on if it's possible or not though.

I know Will is open to the idea of change on the term 'Kudos' as well, and from what I can see (and personal opinion), the more general term 'Like' would fit in better as it is something more are accustomed to through the use of other social media platforms.

As I said there have been some good ideas, and rather than tagging someone who knows more, I'll be pointing this thread out to the whole team, and asking for their input either directly to this thread, or fed to me to feed back to this thread.
Message 41 of 73
by: blackfive460
on: 22/11/2018 | 21:15 edited: 22/11/2018 | 21:16

@guy_ow wrote:

As I said there have been some good ideas, and rather than tagging someone who knows more, I'll be pointing this thread out to the whole team, and asking for their input either directly to this thread, or fed to me to feed back to this thread.

@guy_ow

If there really is any serious interest from any members of the team on the issues I raised in my OP and other issues raised by others in their replies, in view of the way this thread has developed, I would rather see a new thread started by a giffgaff staff member who is actually prepared to engage fully in a discussion with us and, most importantly, take on board our concerns. As I've said more than once before, this community is supposed to be ours, not just giffgaff's.

If that's not possible and I can think of reasons why, in view of the development/learning curve that must be happening with Vanilla at the moment, I think it would be far better to let this drop and we can leave it until we see what the community looks like when it's eventually rolled out.

Message 42 of 73
community giff-staffer

on: 22/11/2018 | 21:23
@blackfive460

Not a problem, completely understand that. Hopefully if any of the team provide me some feedback, I can further ask if there is a planned staff thread in the works a little closer to the time of Vanilla hosted development community, which will also be used as a base of feedback.
Message 43 of 73
Highlighted
on: 22/11/2018 | 22:56

@guy_ow

That's not quite what I was hoping for.

I am quite sure that there will be a 'consultation' thread shortly before Vanilla launches but what I was hoping to achieve, admittedly somewhat pessimistically, was a discussion now, well before the development team's thinking becomes set in stone.

As has happened with every other major change to the community that I've seen, by the time anyone asks us for opinions, what we are going to get at launch is already decided upon and we are presented with a fait accompli, like it or not. That's what I wanted to try to avoid.

If any so called 'consultation' is only going to happen shortly before launch then I can't see the point in bothering. The time to ask us is now. Who knows, we may have thought of some changes to how things are that will be really good but if you only ask having already made up your mind nothing will change. It has happened before and it would be good if it didn't happen with this change which is going to be the biggest change this community has ever seen.

Message 44 of 73
community giff-staffer

on: 22/11/2018 | 23:09
@blackfive460 - ah sorry that was my misunderstanding from your previous post then (been a long day)

Well I know this thread has provided a great start for suggesting ideas for potential implementation. If I can I will speak to the rest of the team to find out if a staff led thread can be started beforehand then, if that's what is prefered (I do still see no issue with this thread continuing, as I can always do what I can to get updates).
Message 45 of 73
by: glaswegianeric
on: 23/11/2018 | 07:48
@extreme_one but...but...it's run by you...and me...and that chap next door.... Smiley Wink
Message 46 of 73
community giff-staffer

on: 23/11/2018 | 18:49

@blackfive460 - evening, I flagged your thread up to the team, and @alex_w has asked if you'd be happy with this thread being moved to Community Platform Discussion board, as it will help him keep track of the discussion and also participate on it.

There has also been (on the 16th Nov) a Vanilla Progress Report that he posted detailing a few things that need doing before other things are looked into in more detail.

Message 47 of 73
by: timwilliams25
on: 23/11/2018 | 19:23

Vanilla Reactions looks good in my opinion,. as long as somebody can change their entry in case of an error.

CLICK HERE to get a free £5 credit with this giffgaff Sim order. We all like something for free!
Message 48 of 73
on: 23/11/2018 | 21:37

@guy_ow wrote:

@blackfive460 - evening, I flagged your thread up to the team, and @alex_w has asked if you'd be happy with this thread being moved to Community Platform Discussion board, as it will help him keep track of the discussion and also participate on it.

The thing is, if this thread is moved to the discussion group, only a tiny percentage of the community will be able to have a say.

@alex_w While I'd not be unhappy to see a discussion or discussions there on specifics, I think a more general discussion is better right here and would be even better started by a member of the development team with plenty of staff engagement.

In any case, I see that this thread has had a mention in the latest gaff so moving it now surely isn't an option.

Message 49 of 73
by: ip633
on: 23/11/2018 | 22:50

I don't even understand the point of focus groups anymore. Contribute is so quiet these days, that it doesn’t make any sense to move one of the most important discussions to a section where it’s going to get even less exposure. I certainly won’t be bothering, that’s for sure. 

Message 50 of 73