Knowledge Base
Community

Kudos vs Anti Kudos

Started by: timwilliams25
On: 09/02/2019 | 09:39
Replies: 20

by: timwilliams25
on: 09/02/2019 | 09:39

Kudos is given to valued contributions on the forum but the forum is also strewn with poor comments and advice, often cut and paste and not specific to the OPs query.

My discussion point revolves around the option of giving Anti Kudos to poor posts.  I am sure the system would be able to pick up abuse for some people giving the same Anti Kudos all the time.

Thoughts please

CLICK HERE to get a free £5 credit with this giffgaff Sim order. We all like something for free!
Message 1 of 21
by: davidevans0000
on: 09/02/2019 | 09:57
the option to give anti-kudos to threads this would never get implemented on this forum as for what if a member doesn't like another member he could just anti-kudos all that the member puts up.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 21
by: jonkent
on: 09/02/2019 | 10:14

I recall we used to have the 'star' rating for posts once upon a time that got axed. Though as mentioned, this kind of implementation is sadly open to abuse.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 21
by: spiritquest
on: 09/02/2019 | 11:25

@timwilliams25

Good morning, it is only an opinion, however,  I have noticed for some posts, it seems simply a popularity contest, and content of the post plays little to no part in a kudo being given.  More a kudo is given to the user name and not always said content.  I think if you are not in agreement with a post, just leave without kudoing it.  You could also diplomatically debate the content of the post without becoming offensive.  To simply give a thumbs down,well that does open people up to online bullying and trust me, there are a couple of people who would jump into the drivers seat of that bandwagon, I should know, I have experienced it myself on this forum.  I fine totally ignoring the perpetrator does help!  Enjoy your day!

Message 4 of 21
by: andyslc
on: 09/02/2019 | 13:47

T’would go against the no naming and shaming policy/ethos surely? Id rather get rid of kudos altogether than go down the anti-kudos route. It could just turn nasty(er?) t’otherwise.

Veni vidi dormivi
Message 5 of 21
by: 4quarrybank
on: 09/02/2019 | 16:15

I guess this is the reason its not on facebook, no unlike! They have spend alot of cash behind not having this I am sure

Message 6 of 21
by: blackfive460
on: 10/02/2019 | 09:58

@timwilliams25

Vanilla includes a feature they call Reactions which does include a 'Dislike' button as well as one for 'Disagree'..

See https://docs.vanillaforums.com/help/reputation/reactions/

However, I would be extremely surprised if giffgaff activated either of these negative reactions.

Indeed, Vanilla themselves say:

There is always the potential for abuse when you open up avenues of self-curation in a community. In general, we discourage the use of any negative reactions unless there are established guidelines for their use in your community.

Message 7 of 21
by: gizzblue
on: 10/02/2019 | 11:03 edited: 11/02/2019 | 18:04

Having had the same idea years ago ....I actually feel against at it nowadays ... don't like it don't kudo it ....pretty simple and stops the negative connotations a negative kudo button would bring .

If it's really that bad a post report it .

Message 8 of 21
by: endorphin
on: 10/02/2019 | 17:42

HIstorically, giffgaff have always resisted implementing negative kudos as they think they will have a detrimental effect overall. Indeed I have been on forums before where they are implemented and readily dished out; the atmosphere in those forums was definitely demoralising - something which giffgaff wants to avoid.

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 9 of 21
by: k89bpa
on: 10/02/2019 | 18:00
Nay, nay and thrice nay.

It's bad enough that the report button exists and can be weaponised as a form of editorial control and trying to hound people out of the community, and that kudos can be similarly used.

Don't give them more tools to use in this manner.

It can be fun to have them in the right communities and can add to the enjoyment of engagement, but here, no way, not in a million years.

Huawei P20 Pro | 9.0.0 | Data Plan: 80GB

Message 10 of 21