Knowledge Base
Community

How do I top up using a giffgaff top-up voucher?

Started ‎22-03-2012 by
Modified ‎27-07-2018 by

Topping up your giffgaff balance with a voucher is easy. You can either call 43430 and follow the prompts or go online in the Top up section and click the redeem a voucher button after selecting the amount. Read below for a detailed guide on both ways and more.

Let's do it now

Redeem your voucher

More Information

giffgaff vouchers can be bought in most shops providing epay, payzone or paypoint services. Don't know where to find one of these shops near you? Check this article for more details. You can also find them in Post Offices and most supermarkets.

If you can't find a giffgaff voucher at your favourite shop, you can get an O2 voucher, they also work. If you buy a voucher for O2, make sure to follow the steps described in the next sections and not those printed on the voucher itself.

The voucher can be redeemed from your giffgaff mobile, or online.

From your mobile

Call 43430 for free with your giffgaff phone and follow the voice prompts along the way.

• Press 1 to Top-up your Airtime Credit
  • Press 2 to buy a goodybag using your Airtime Credit, a voucher or a combination of both

redeem a voucher.png

• Enter your voucher's 16 digits code in the field. If the code is rejected see Why has my Top-up failed? to solve it.
  • Click on "Redeem".

Please note that top-up vouchers can take up to 24 hours to be applied to your account balance.

To activate your new SIM, you must redeem the first voucher online - the 43430 top-up number WILL NOT be available until your SIM is activated.

• Go to the   SIM activation page

Activation page 1.png
  • Enter the 6 digit SIM code
  • Click Activate your SIM
  • If prompted, log into your account or create a new one
  • Select the goodybag you want. Otherwise, you can purchase top-up credit (PAYG/ airtime credit)
  • Select   Voucher   as a payment method and enter the 16 digit voucher
    voucher activations.png
  • Complete the other details
  • Click   Activate my SIM

Yay! Your SIM card should be activated within 30 minutes to 24 hours.

Now, you may wonder, what happens if the value of the voucher is...

• less than the   goodybag   I want?   In this case, the voucher will automatically be added as airtime credit.
  • matching the value of the   goodybag   I want? Smooth action, you will have your first   goodybag   and if you want to top-up   afterwards   you can.
  • bigger than the   goodybag   I want?   In this case, you will buy the   goodybag   and difference is added as airtime credit on your account.

IMPORTANT: If you want a goody bag and you have chosen to add top-up credit please make sure that your mobile data is turned OFF otherwise your credit may be used before you purchase a   goodybag.

Once this first top-up has been done online, you'll be able to redeem your next vouchers with your mobile phone.

Using the website

You can directly buy a goodybag using a voucher without having to top-up first and transform it into a goodybag after. All you have to do is:

• Once you are logged in, select your goodybag from this pageselect your goodybags.png
  • On the payment page, select Voucher as a method of payment
  • Add your voucher code and submit it
    pay with a voucher.png

• That's it, well done!

Note: If the voucher value is smaller than the goodybag you are trying to buy, then the voucher value will automatically transform into credit. If the voucher value is bigger than the goodybag you are buying, then you will buy the goodybag and the difference will be added as credit to your account.

If you topped up or transformed your voucher into credit and do you want to buy a goodybag after, you can read further how to buy a goodybag from airtime credit.

Calling 43430

You can buy goodybags using a voucher over the 43430 top-up service. Press 2 and follow the instructions. For more details, we have a guide on using the 43430 Top-up service.

Sometimes trying to redeem a voucher online can have problems. One recurring issue members run into is a 'burnt voucher' where the system thinks the voucher code has been used when in fact it is still valid.

giffgaff agents can solve the 'burnt voucher' error immediately but raising a case can be a bit tricky for newer members so we're trying something new.

So, instead of raising a case with the agents and waiting for a reply, we'll bring the agent to you and they'll solve the voucher issue right then and there.

It means that when you get a 'burnt voucher' error a chat box will appear that will connect you to an agent.

It's important to know that there are three conditions that must be met before the chat box pops up:

• You are in the activation flow/ top-up page and trying to top up with a voucher
  • You have received the specific 'burnt voucher' error message
  • An agent is available

Provided the three conditions are met then the chat window will open and you will be able to interact with the agent to have your issue resolved.

If the chat window does not appear you can still contact one of our agents to report the problem.

medium.jpgMobile version of the 'chat' pop up box

If you still have troubles using a top-up voucher after reading this article, you can find explanations on the resolution of known issues in Why has my top-up failed?

Ask our community

Don't be shy. Ask one of our lovely members for help.
Our community won't let you down.

Ask a question