Knowledge Base
Community

Why has my top-up failed?

Started ‎21-03-2012 by
Modified ‎12-12-2018 by

There are different reasons that can prevent you from buying credits or a goodybag. Please select the payment method you are using to see the different causes for issues, and how to solve them.

More Information

• Symptom

You have been trying to redeem a voucher on the website but the value of the voucher has not been credited to your giffgaff balance.

• Cause & Remedies

Cause

How to identify it

Possible remedies

Invalid voucher code When you submit the voucher code, the error message "Invalid voucher code" is displayed

Try these solutions in this order to get the best result.

Step 1 - Verify you are using the correct code

• Verify the voucher code is 16 digits long
  • Verify you are using the code as shown on this picture
  • Try alternatives if needed (e.g. 0 for O)

Step 2 - Clear your browser's cache and cookies and try again.

Step 3If the voucher code is still considered invalid, check the service update thread to verify if there is a technical issue.

Step 4 - If your code is correct and there is not technical issue reported, send your voucher code to the agents for verification using this link.

Voucher considered as already used
When you submit the voucher code, the error message "Sorry, that voucher code has already been used" is displayed

Please wait for a few hours and retry. During your wait, the payment system will have identified your previous attempt failed and will accept the voucher code.

If it is rejected again, make sure you did not use one of your previous vouchers by mistake.

• Symptom

You have selected a goodybag or a credit amount but the operation fails when you are completing the purchase.

• Cause & Remedies

Cause

How to identify it

Possible remedies

Your saved card expired

Step 1Log in

Step 2 - Go to "My giffgaff" and then "Payment details"

Step 3 - Verify if the saved card has expired

Step 1 - Log in

Step 3 - Register a new card

Step 4 - Re-select auto top-up if you want to keep on using it

Note: Successfully topping up will switch auto top-up back on.

Typo in your payment details

Your details must be accurate for the transaction to be successful.

Step 1 - Log in

Step 3 - Verify your payment details:

• Your name is written exactly like on your card (including the title)
  • The address is the one you registered with your bank (omit any punctuation)
  • You selected the correct type of card

Step 1 - Log in

Step 3 - Modify your payment details

The transaction is declined by the card issuer

This can happen for a number of reasons, including:

• The communication with the bank failed
  • There is not enough funds / the spending limit has been reached
  • Too many failed attempts have been made

The "this transaction has not been authenticated by your card issuer" error message is displayed.

Step 1 - Wait for a few hours

Step 2 - Clear your browser's cookies and cache

Step 3 - Try again

You are using a UK card from abroad Payments made from outside Europe or made with foreign payment methods may be rejected for security reasons.  

Before you go:

Store payment details on our site and switch on auto top-up before you go abroad so that your airtime balance will automatically be topped up.

When you are away:

You can ask a fellow giffgaffer to credit your giffgaff account for you, with an Topping Up Another Number top up. This can be done by selecting "Topping up another account" just below your giffgaff number on the main top up page.

• Symptom

The goodybags are not available on the Top-up page, but it is possible to purchase airtime credit or you are able to purchase a goodybag but it is queued.

• Cause & Remedies

Cause

How to identify it

Possible remedies

Your goodybag is set to recur

Step 1Log in

Step 3 - Scroll to the section "Your goodybags"

Your active goodybag is displayed after "Active" and the recurring goodybag after "Next". Both goodybags are the same.

To cancel or modify the recurring goodybag:

Step 1 - Log in

Step 3 - Click on "Change" for "Recur your goodybag"

In the new section, you can untick the "recur your selected goodybag" box to remove it, or click on "change" to select another goodybag.

You have a queued goodybag Step 1 - Log in

Step 2 - Go to "My giffgaff"

Step 3 - Scroll to the section "Your goodybags"

Your active goodybag is displayed after "Active" and the recurring goodybag after "Next". The two goodybags can be identical or different.

If you want to modify or cancel your queued goodybag, you need the assistance of an agent. Fill and submit this form to let them know what to do with your queued goodybag.
The goodybag purchase is locked It's 7.30 pm or later on the expiry date of your active goodybag. There is a lock out period while we are processing the activation of new goodybags. Just wait for this period to be over to be able to purchase a new goodybag.
You already have an active goodybag

You can only have one active goodybag at any time.

It is not possible to directly cancel an active goodybag, but it is possible to purchase a new one. 

This will remove all remaining minutes, texts and data on the previous goodybag.

If you want to purchase a new goodybag, but already have an active goodybag, you will need to use your minutes or Internet allowance until you have only 100 minutes. 100 texts or 100MB left.

This will remove all remaining minutes, texts and data on the previous goodybag.

See this page for more details.

Ask our community

Don't be shy. Ask one of our lovely members for help.
Our community won't let you down.

Ask a question