Community

Adult Restrictions Removal

Started by: bertiebat
On: 09/02/2012 | 21:04
Replies: 356

Highlighted
by: bertiebat
on: 09/02/2012 | 21:04 edited: 04/02/2019 | 17:22

giffgaff 18+ adult restrictions (stops access to certain sites) can be removed for those aged 18+ with either a Full or Provisional UK driving licence (not NI unfortunately) or Machine Readable passports including those issued in the UK..

The tool can be found under the phone settings  https://giffgaff.com/settings#adultcontent  Adult Content Control. 

Note: that this is now the ONLY way to remove the bar. 

Passport

At the bottom of your last page (with the photo) of your passport there are two lines with many chevrons (“>“). Each one of them have 44 characters in total. Enter all the characters on each line including the chevrons on the two boxes provided. The first line only includes letters and chevrons whereas second one starts with number and also has letters.

Note: both '<' and '>' chevrons will be validily accepted. 

Format

P>GBRAAAAAAA>>AAAAAAA>AAAAAAA>AAAAAAA>AAAAAA       - first line (box)

9999999999GBR9999999F9999999>>>>>>>>>>>>>>99               - second line (box)

Driving Licence

Enter your complete UK Driving Licence number, which you will find in line 5 of your licence. It’s 18 characters long and includes a combinations of letters and numbers. Don’t forget to include the numbers at the end (without the space). 

Eg. SMITH741345AB8CC31

Please note that for the older style (paper) driving licences you need to use the issue number (note you need to find this on a different/inner page) for the last 2 numbers at the end. 

TOP TIP is to type the details in another area first to check thoroughly and then copy and paste into the box/es.  Then if the system rejects the input as invalid you can just make any changes necessary and re-paste into the box/es and try again.  If you don't and it gets rejected then the system sends you to a different screen and you lose all your hard work. Smiley Sad

If your settings show the bar has been removed (off) and you have suddenly been stopped from accessing restricted sites again then a simple reboot will often cure this problem. Smiley Happy

If you get the dreaded gremlins page* then try these suggestions that have worked for some people and try again. If still no luck then you will need to ask an agent for a fix to this page so that you can then validly enter the details.

• Clear cache, history and cookies.
  • Try another browser (Firefox is recommended).

You also need to restart your phone for it to work and it could take a while to take effect (but no longer than 24 hours).  

If after 24 hours the screen still shows as 'in progress' then you will need to raise a case with an agent to fix this for you.

Ask an agent

If you experience any difficulty whilst attempting to remove the content block using the website please contact the agents, who can apply a fix for the screen just click on this direct ask agent link Accessing adult content

Please note that the agents are now unable to remove the bar and can only help with providing a fix if the online tool isn't working.

NOTE: THAT AN O2 SHOP WILL NO LONGER PROVIDE THIS SERVICE.

An alternative facility if you have a credit card AND your phone was transferred from O2 that some have reported as working (though unverified by me) is to use the O2 website removal tool. https://ageverification.o2.co.uk/ Please note this will cost £1 as the transaction is not rebated to your account.   

KB article on this can be found here. http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Ask-the-community-got-stuck/How-do-I-lift-my-Adult-Content-Res...

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 1 of 357
by: usmanozzy786
on: 09/02/2012 | 21:04
Thanks for this tip, it will really be helpful in the future
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 357
by: noscere
on: 10/02/2012 | 01:58

Unfortunately, even with the two numbers at the end my licence still does not work...

If you found my post helpful, please click the star (on the left) to give kudos!
Get a free giffgaff Sim Want microSIM? Watch my HOWTO on YouTube
When I kiss you on your cheesy lips, all I picture is you with him.
Message 3 of 357
by: mandesk
on: 10/02/2012 | 08:59

Yes I tried my License number, in all combinations, but in the end I had to ask an Agent, who past it on to the Tech team. Had to wait about 2 weeks, but it was lifted.

Try your numbers first, but if it fails and you still want it lifted, contact an agent.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 357
by: aks782
on: 11/02/2012 | 16:32
Much needed guide! Maybe cut down the wording - makes it easier for us lazy ones!

For a giffgaff sim with £5 FREE CREDIT when you activate, click here

Message 5 of 357
on: 11/02/2012 | 17:07

@aks782 wrote:
Much needed guide! Maybe cut down the wording - makes it easier for us lazy ones!

Well thanks but I'm not sure what words to cut out and it's a guide so wanted to include all helpful details. Smiley Happy

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 357
by: scottad
on: 11/02/2012 | 17:45

Great guide it's very helpful, do you mind if I point people to this post if they are asking about removing the restrictions?

PhotobucketGet a free giffgaff SimPhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 7 of 357
on: 11/02/2012 | 17:49

@scottad wrote:

Great guide it's very helpful, do you mind if I point people to this post if they are asking about removing the restrictions?

Thanks for the compliment  Smiley Happy and no problem at all and that's partly why I created it so that it might be helpful for people to link to this when people are having problems. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 8 of 357
by: scottad
on: 11/02/2012 | 18:13

@bertiebat wrote:

Thanks for the compliment  Smiley Happy and no problem at all and that's partly why I created it so that it might be helpful for people to link to this when people are having problems. 

Great stuff to be honest I've never needed to remove the restrictions so I don't know much about it, it makes more sense for me to point people to you rather than me trying to partly guess how it's done

PhotobucketGet a free giffgaff SimPhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 9 of 357
on: 11/02/2012 | 18:23

@scottad wrote:

@bertiebat wrote:

Great stuff to be honest I've never needed to remove the restrictions so I don't know much about it, it makes more sense for me to point people to you rather than me trying to partly guess how it's done 

Same here but I saw so many people saying they had difficulties with this (and one who said they couldn't view the help script on mobiles) so I decided to try it out myself, partly so that I could check if I had any problems and it made sense to then create a guide.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 357