Better off on a giffgaff goodybag?

Started by: clairekav
On: 05/05/2010 | 19:59
Replies: 44

Highlighted
by: clairekav
former giff-staffer

on: 05/05/2010 | 19:59 edited: 23/03/2011 | 16:16

There have been a few discussions about whether if you were using X minutes and X texts and X MB of data – which goodybag you’d be better off on.

So quickly dusting off my excel skills – I’ve created a very modest looking excel spreadsheet. It isn’t pretty – functional not fashionable! Smiley Wink 

I created this to help indicate whether your previous actual usage and spend - based on this, it will suggest a goodybag (if relevant).

Hopefully someone will find it useful! I challenge anyone to improve it Smiley Happy I’m not precious!! I'm sure someone could make it look prettier / easier to use - perhaps on HTML?

See danielclo1il's online version here: http://www.igaff.co.uk/tariffcalculator  (edit: this one isn't working at the moment)

See green65's online version herehttp://green65.me/dev/ggcalc/

Using the spreadsheet - fairly straight forward - just change the yellow boxes:

1) Usage: Enter what you used last month: minutes/ texts and data in the yellow boxes

- remember to add in any additional phones that you might be using as well, then you'll get the full picture of what you're spending and how you could be better off.

2) Price/ Spend: Enter either the price you pay /min /text /MB if you know it OR your total monthly spend in the yellow boxes.

3) Payback: I've included 'payback' in here as well, not forgetting one of the key differences is that giffgaff gives back to the community when they help - this is indicative only, but useful as a reminder.

4) Overview: Based on your current usage, it’ll display your:

- current spend

- giffgaff spend

- giffgaff spend with a suggested goodybag (inc 'no goodybag' where your usage is light and you'd be better off on giffgaff standard rates)

5) Other Options: This is a few workings and displays the different goodybags –  which is useful to glance at to see what the other goodybag options there are, just in case your usage changes

Good luck! Hopefully there aren't too many bugs and you find it useful!

Note: If someone has answered your question in 'Ask the community', please mark it as 'accepted solution’, then we know you're sorted
Message 1 of 45
by: danielclo1il
on: 06/05/2010 | 19:04

i'll work on it now claire Smiley Happy

im thinking something in flash?? Smiley Happy

Thanks
Dann

Message 2 of 45
by: bigfatbball2
on: 06/05/2010 | 19:24

@danielclo1il wrote:

you apple fanboy should know Steve would disagree with you doing that in flash Smiley Wink

LOL

Bigfatbball2
Don't forget to check out the giffgaffer top tips section before posting
iPhone 6 / OnePlus One
http://twitter.com/bigfatbball2
Message 3 of 45
former giff-staffer

on: 06/05/2010 | 20:52

Nice, thanks appleboy!  Smiley Very Happy

If you can rustle something from my functional (PC) version to a fancy flash (mac) version that would be grand!

If anyone else out there wants to do a fancy 'current network' drop down (ie select 't-mobile text appeal' it auto populates the prices etc) that would be great! 

I did start - but it was a bit complicated, and needed a proper model due all all the promo's etc - so I stuck with simple flat rates.

Note: If someone has answered your question in 'Ask the community', please mark it as 'accepted solution’, then we know you're sorted
Message 4 of 45
on: 07/05/2010 | 02:38

@clairekav wrote:

Nice, thanks appleboy!  Smiley Very Happy

If you can rustle something from my functional (PC) version to a fancy flash (mac) version that would be grand!

If anyone else out there wants to do a fancy 'current network' drop down (ie select 't-mobile text appeal' it auto populates the prices etc) that would be great! 

I did start - but it was a bit complicated, and needed a proper model due all all the promo's etc - so I stuck with simple flat rates.

thanks, haha loving the new nickname, "appleboy" lmao thanks claire, im gonna use that from now on Smiley Happy

Thanks
Dann

Message 5 of 45
on: 07/05/2010 | 03:52

@bigfatbball2 wrote:

@danielclo1il wrote:

you apple fanboy should know Steve would disagree with you doing that in flash Smiley Wink

LOL

Mr Jobs would, but since i have CS5 i would have given it ago, but im working on a version of claires spreadsheet with network selection, and im going to make it with HTML and dreamweaver, and give it a giffgaff style, and upload it to the iGaff.co.uk site Smiley Happy

Thanks
Dann

Message 6 of 45
on: 07/05/2010 | 06:12

okay okay, so i have made a web version of the calculator claire made, you can get it here:

http://www.igaff.co.uk, then click on calculator... Simples Smiley Happy

that is only version 1 of the tool, it will be improved and updated regularly Smiley Wink

Thanks
Dann

Message 7 of 45
by: vincent
former giff-staffer

on: 07/05/2010 | 09:41

Nice one Daniel! Smiley Happy

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VincentBoon
Message 8 of 45
by: theshadowman
on: 07/05/2010 | 09:47 edited: 07/05/2010 | 09:49

Hi, was going to have a look at this - however, igaff.co.uk is dead?!?

And my link seems to redirect to isaacgaff's blog??? lol

Message 9 of 45
former giff-staffer

on: 07/05/2010 | 10:06

Great! I think the link wasn't working as it is picking up an extra ,/ in the hyperlink

This definitely goes to the right place - http://www.igaff.co.uk/ - click on the 'calculator'

Super! Thanks - that's much better than asking people to download a excel file. Looks good - looking forward to seeing what you can do with v2!

theshadowman - igaff.com redirects to isaacgaff's blog, lol! Pretty sure we won't get tips on mobiles from their blog!

Claire

Message 10 of 45