Get Help
Community

Beware PM Connect Scam - Gaming scam takes £2.50 a week off of you phone bill

Started by: businessfitnessuk
On: 22/02/2018 | 14:40
Replies: 3

by: businessfitnessuk
on: 22/02/2018 | 14:40

Be ware of this company based in Birmingham B3 2QD as somehow they get you to subscribe - I think i did it by clicking the close x top right on a pop us.  They owed me nearly £50 but would only refund me £25 i couldnt be asked to argue - My EE contract was robbed.  How do i stop app purchase on Giff Gaff?

Ring them up and e mail them threat of police action and demand a cheque rather than you provide bank details 

Message 1 of 4
by: andrewredman
on: 22/02/2018 | 14:58

Hi @businessfitnessuk

Sorry to read about this scam

There is a setting in your giffgaff profile that stops you making premium calls, link here https://giffgaff.com/call-services

However that is only part of the safe guarding we need to do.  Basically we have to be alert to these things and do our best not to go on pages or click links that we are unsure of.  It's a shame, but there are some greedy people out there with low scruples.

Hope you don't get scammed again!  All the best, Andrew

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 4
by: endorphin
on: 22/02/2018 | 18:27

@businessfitnessuk wrote:

How do i stop app purchase on Giff Gaff?

giffgaff doesn't support Direct Carrier Billing which means you can't buy apps, or any other digital goods, using your airtime credit balance.
Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
by: muggles708
on: 22/02/2018 | 22:46 edited: 22/02/2018 | 22:49

businessfitnessuk wrote:

Be ware of this company based in Birmingham B3 2QD as somehow they get you to subscribe - I think i did it by clicking the close x top right on a pop us.  They owed me nearly £50 but would only refund me £25 i couldnt be asked to argue - My EE contract was robbed.  How do i stop app purchase on Giff Gaff?

Ring them up and e mail them threat of police action and demand a cheque rather than you provide bank details 

PM Connect are well known scammers. Try Googling 'PM Connect scam'!

You need to be aware that while you are connected to the internet via mobile data, your number may be passed by your network (GiffGaff or EE in your case) to third parties for charging purposes. The mechanism by which this happens is called 'Payforit'.  This can’t happen while you are connected by WiFi. Once the third party has your number they can send you chargeable text messages and, very unfairly in my opinion, it will be your job to argue for a refund!

The Payforit mechanism was intended to make it easy for consumers to purchase goods and services and have them charged to their 'phone bill. Unfortunately Payforit has proven to be very insecure and hardly a day goes by without someone reporting another scam on here.

I have put details of how to deal with these scams on my website at http://payforitsucks.co.uk

Unfortunately GiffGaff and all of the other networks have no incentive to bring these scams to an end, as they receive a share of the income from them. Most of the other networks (apart from O2) can put a 'charge to bill' bar on your account to stop these third party charges. GiffGaff can't (or won't?) even do this.

If you want protection from these scams GiffGaff are not for you! At least EE can put a 'charge to bill' bar on your account!

The steps you ought to be taking are:

1. Stop further charges being made

2. Get a refund of any charges already taken

3. Complain to the Phone-paid Services Authority

4. Protect yourself from further 'charge to bill' scams

If PMConnect refuse to refund you in full and are unable to prove that you knowingly consented to the charges, you could take them to the small claims court. Send them a 'letter before action' to warn them that you will do this. Give them a couple of weeks to respond. If they don't, start a claim with Moneyclaim online. You will have to pay a fee, but should recover this when you win your claim.

Also make sure you complain to the PSA.

Let me know if I can offer any further help or advice,

Paul

Message 4 of 4