Community

Buying a windows phone for my mum!

Started by: alexandermclarke
On: 21/05/2015 | 20:12
Replies: 12

Go to best answer
by: alexandermclarke
on: 21/05/2015 | 20:12

My mum's looking at getting a windows phone to replace her dying samsung galaxy s-something.

I tried to push her towards getting a phone that's more similar to her current android phone, but she's made her mind up, so that's that Smiley Happy

She had a go at using my nokia 520, and was comfortable with everything about it, other than the keyboard, which seemed a little bit small for her (her eyesight's not amazing).

Is the nokia nokia lumia 730 suitable for 50+'s, in terms of it's usability?

Also, does anyone have any tips for explaining how to use a WP to someone coming from android?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 13
by: bfairchild
on: 21/05/2015 | 22:11
If you have a 520 then the experience will be pretty similar just a slightly better phone. Just make the tiles a reasonable size and she should be fine when its set up. Remember you have settings on the phone to help with poor eyesight, and cortana can replace the keyboard for a lot of functions
Message 2 of 13
by: moominpappa
on: 21/05/2015 | 23:28
If she's been using a Samsung handset, she'll probably get the hang of Windows Phone pretty quickly as it's a lot more consistent throughout the operating system (no wildly different individual app settings with Windows Phone).

If you need a bigger keyboard on your mums phone, I'd buy the Microsoft Lumia 535: The screen is really big and excellent to type on.
I upgraded from the diddy Lumia 620, and typing is much easier on the 535.
Click on my banner to get £5 free credit & free calls & texts to giffgaff numbers
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 13
by: bernienatch
on: 21/05/2015 | 23:42
I changed 3 friends from Android to WINDOWS. They all said its dead easy. Just adjust the screen size and texts and screen colours for her eyes......then just let her get on with it. I've had 4 windows fones and I prefer them, they do everything I need.
Message 4 of 13
on: 22/05/2015 | 00:20

thank you @moominpappa, I'm looking into the Nokia lumia 535 now.

This sounds like an odd question, but..:

Is the backplate well secured?
She's going to buy a case, but concerned the phone might pop out of the backplate, like it sometimes happens with my 520.

Message 5 of 13
by: moominpappa
on: 22/05/2015 | 00:41
Don't worry, the back plate is secure.
I use a case and I've not had any issues, but thankfully I've not dropped my phone too often!
Click on my banner to get £5 free credit & free calls & texts to giffgaff numbers
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 13
by: mydrawer
on: 22/05/2015 | 11:22

I also moved my mum to a nokia 520 last year from her nokia candybar, she has done well with it considering shes not tech savvy! Think she gets confused between whatsapp and text.. and a few icons sometimes throws her - all in all a good solution

Message 7 of 13
on: 22/05/2015 | 16:35

I know what you mean.

The interfaces of both whatsapp and text is similar, especially to those new to tech as a whole.

Message 8 of 13
by: nwestguy47
on: 23/05/2015 | 18:14
Hello I've both the 520 and 635 you can increase the size of the text in settings/system/ease of access the 635 is a bigger screen and 4g good prices on ebay etc less than £80 now great for the money
Message 9 of 13
by: wyvernred
on: 23/05/2015 | 19:14
I bought a Microsoft lumia 435. I'm currently using Android 4.2 of which I prefer. The lumia is pretty fast and windows operating system tends to crash less, but I find there are many more apps available on android than windows. I prefer texting on the android compared to windows.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 13