Get Help
Community

Call Filtering: Simplest Solution Yet

Started by: k89bpa
On: 17/02/2018 | 18:19
Replies: 29

by: k89bpa
on: 17/02/2018 | 18:19
I needed a new way to block calls on an unrooted phone, (I didn't like the way apps work for unrooted phones), so decided to have a fiddle and came up with two options...

The first option is simply to send all calls to voicemail all the time. I have unlimited minutes so why not just send everyone to voicemail and if they leave a message, call them back.

The second option is to have Do Not Disturb always active except for numbers in my phone book, which means the phone only alerts me to calls from people I know, everyone else gets voicemail because I'm not alerted when they call, if someone leaves a message, I can call them back.

Optionally, the second one will allow alerts if they call back within a 15 minute window.

Both are so simple and so effective that I've made this my default call blocking mechanism on all devices, because it's never been about blocking calls as such, it's been about blocking notifications.

Most people call me via Google Duo/Skype anyway, which I've allowed to bypass the Do Not Disturb function, (so strangers can still call via either of my numbers).

PLEASE DO NOT KUDOS MY POSTS - THANK YOU
Message 1 of 30
by: tonicurtis1967
on: 17/02/2018 | 18:24
Can u listen to answer phone without credit. Had mine turned off years ago
Message 2 of 30
by: suzzieq30
on: 17/02/2018 | 18:29

The amount I have on my blocked list now is unbelievable. Even had them ring from Madagascar and Liberia the other day.... don’t know how these people manage to get your number majority of the time 😡

Message 3 of 30
on: 17/02/2018 | 18:31
@tonicurtis1967

On giffgaff, no, you'd need credit or minutes.

However, my voicemail options, (with different companies), allow me to set an "extended absence" message so I can record a message telling people to send a message, an email, or retry their call via Google Duo or Skype but which does not allow them the option of leaving a message.

If giffgaff voicemail has the same function that could be a way around the issue of having to call your voicemail to check all the time.
Message 4 of 30
by: datdad
on: 17/02/2018 | 18:33
@k89bpa
Interesting read tho a bit over my head. What’s an ‘unroo ted ‘ phone please?
Best wishes
Message 5 of 30
on: 17/02/2018 | 18:33
@suzzieq30

Yeah, my block list on the unrooted phone was growing too, that's why I went looking for an alternative solution for that phone.
Message 6 of 30
on: 17/02/2018 | 18:34
@datdad

Basically just means an unmodified phone, (same as when you get it out of the box and put your apps and data on it).
Message 7 of 30
by: majorincident
on: 17/02/2018 | 20:29

My phone has a built in call filter and I block all calls/messages from people not on my contacts list.  Calls will get cut-off, but I will be notified of messages that I will add to the block list.  I have also switched off voicemail, so good luck anyone I don't know getting hold of me.

Where there's a will, there's relations.
Message 8 of 30
on: 17/02/2018 | 20:56
@majorincident

Which manufacturer has that by default in their OS?

One nice trick O2 and Vodafone have is that if someone calls but doesn't or can't leave a message, they'll send a text notifying you of the attempt with the number, (if it's shown - no text for withheld numbers).

Dunno why Three and others don't do the same thing, that's a minus for them.
Message 9 of 30
by: majorincident
on: 17/02/2018 | 21:06

I have the Honor 5C and they call the function 'harassment filter'.

Where there's a will, there's relations.
Message 10 of 30