Community

DIY - Make your own cable clips.

Started by: dtuxcomp
On: 30/01/2018 | 21:47
Replies: 17

by: dtuxcomp
on: 30/01/2018 | 21:47

CableClipsTips.png

Smiley Happy Take my advice, I'm not using it | Dtuxcomp's Tips | Free Giffgaff SIM with £5 credit
Message 1 of 18
on: 30/01/2018 | 21:54

My go-to favourite for making cable clips is using thin clear plastic cut into long strips about 1 cm wide, you can cut it from large pop bottles or I tend to hold onto flat sections from blister packs that house new gear. A couple of small screws to hold it in place and that's all it takes. Or you can use just one screw and loop the plastic back under the cable.

I use an awl to place the first screw then put the cable in place so I can see where the second screw should sit. Once both screws are in place you can cut off the excess plastic.

Just watch out for sharp edges and don't let the screw gouge the cable as it goes in.

Here's one on my desk holding a mains cable in place.

IMG_20171230_153820.jpgMains cable clipped.
They also work great for mounting other things such as USB powered LED lamps, here's the one that downlights my desk.

IMG_20171230_153911.jpgUSB LED light.IMG_20171230_153926.jpgLight suspended over desk.

I also use the wire ties that come with sandwitch bags, double sided stickes and the small eyelets from picture hanging kits depending on the situation. I'll try to get some pictures of these in use to add to this tip.

Smiley Happy Take my advice, I'm not using it | Dtuxcomp's Tips | Free Giffgaff SIM with £5 credit
Message 2 of 18
by: chand311
on: 30/01/2018 | 22:25

Good efforts @dtuxcomp, but their edges can be very sharp and pointy, not safe and friendly. Spend little bit but according to the safety point of view. These cable clips are not very expensive. 

Message 3 of 18
on: 30/01/2018 | 23:08
@chand311 Hence my warning to watch out for the sharp edges. It's not a solution for everybody but it works for me and once in place you'd have to be trying hard to catch yourself on them.

You could also just polish off the edges a little with some emery paper once they are cut to size.
Message 4 of 18
by: frenchielove
on: 31/01/2018 | 17:55

Great tip @dtuxcomp well done 

Message 6 of 18
by: sheppola
on: 01/02/2018 | 12:09

Here's another cable trick.If you have extra long cables or are in the habit of pulling them out you can use,"Rubber Bands" to tidy them up or add a bit of pull-slack as I do on my guitar cables,

n78xJih

If this post helped please click the Kudos Button and or,"Best Answer"
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
Message 8 of 18
on: 01/02/2018 | 13:05 edited: 01/02/2018 | 23:05

sheppola wrote:

Here's another cable trick.If you have extra long cables or are in the habit of pulling them out you can use,"Rubber Bands" to tidy them up or add a bit of pull-slack as I do on my guitar cables,

n78xJih

@sheppola

Great idea, thanks for sharing. I tend to only find rubber bands after they've perished and stuck to things Smiley Wink. but I agree with you about guitar cables, it's so easy to end up tangled Smiley Happy. I used to have to loop mine through the back of my belt when gigging to stop me tripping on it. Not great if you forget to remove it before setting the guitar down though Smiley Surprised

Message 9 of 18