Get Help
Community

Data Usage Estimator

Started by: screetonmatthew
On: 08/09/2015 | 13:30
Replies: 21

by: screetonmatthew
on: 08/09/2015 | 13:30

The data usage estimator is aimed at those who aren't familiar with what a MB of data is but still want to use mobile internet.

To try it out please go to giffgaff.screet.co.uk/data/

Fill in your typical monthly usage and an estimate will be displayed.

If you have any suggestions for improvement (e.g. a new type of data usage that needs to be added) please post in this thread and I will make the alteration as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Matt

giffgaff best tariff calculator
Message 1 of 22
by: bill48er
on: 08/09/2015 | 16:03

Hi Matt,

Nice work and very easy to use.

Can I suggest that you make the input boxes a bit wider, as currently I can only see two digests (Firefox on a PC).

Some users may want to measure in hundreds Smiley Surprised

One figure that I'm interested in, is how much data is used on a call using Viber or the BT Smart Talk app.

Any idea?

Forum Etiquette: If a post answers your question please accept it as "Best Answer" so that others may find it.
Give KUDOS if you like what you read!

Click this link to request a free giffgaff SIM card with £5 free credit on activation.
Message 2 of 22
on: 08/09/2015 | 16:14

@bill48er - Ah, how I love different browsers formatting things differently. Just loaded it up on firefox and I can see what you mean - will post back once it is fixed.

Thanks for the spot!

I don't know off the top of my head - but I'll see whether I can find some information - I'm sure at the very minimum someone will have measured it for Skype.

Message 3 of 22
on: 08/09/2015 | 16:43

@bill48er - that is now fixed, I have made the box both wider and removed the spinner (up/down arrows)

Message 4 of 22
by: bill48er
on: 08/09/2015 | 17:45

That now looks OK to me and the figures can still be nudged using the Up & Down arrow keys. Smiley Happy

Forum Etiquette: If a post answers your question please accept it as "Best Answer" so that others may find it.
Give KUDOS if you like what you read!

Click this link to request a free giffgaff SIM card with £5 free credit on activation.
Message 5 of 22
by: mbthapa25
on: 08/09/2015 | 17:56
very nice tool - thanks
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 22
by: cim
on: 08/09/2015 | 18:08

Looks pretty good but as a low data user, I find that GPS tracking and satnav software is one of the bigger 'consumers' for me.

Its all relative though as I don't use much mobile data anyway and unless downloading say Google satellite view maps while driving long distance chances are data use for navigation/logging will be quite modest.

Message 7 of 22
on: 09/09/2015 | 11:20

@cim - really happy to add something like that in if we can find some quantative data.

You dont' happen to have a link / some source of data usages for that?

Cheers,
Matt

Message 8 of 22
by: cim
on: 09/09/2015 | 12:05

@screetonmatthew

https://www.reddit.com/r/androidapps/comments/2pe0qe/how_much_data_does_google_maps_use_for_a_4hour/

suggests google maps uses under 10MB/hour (one guy indicates about 6MB/hour) for driving which seems in line with my experience.

If you switch sat view on then it increases massively (depends on speed and zoom level) and I suspect most people don't use it for that reason unless they have an unlimited data 3G/4G service.

Message 9 of 22
by: bullphit
on: 09/09/2015 | 17:27
It doesn't seem to work on a mobile device. No results appeared at all
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 22