Knowledge Base
Community

Dyson motors are easy to replace

Started by: stephenpperry
On: 18/12/2018 | 11:12
Replies: 14

by: stephenpperry
on: 18/12/2018 | 11:12 edited: 18/12/2018 | 11:13

So yesterday I was walking home and I saw an old Dyson pull along vacuum dumped in the street by my house. 

On first passing i thought I’d leave it there, and then a moment of madness happened and I thought “maybe it works”. So I brought it home.

well it turns out it was broken, and the motor had burned out. But... having found this video https://youtu.be/cU3_IRKJB0I on YouTube, I’ve been able to fix it for the sum total of £16! How crazy is that!

it takes a bit of brute force at times but turns out that Dyson’s are really well designed to be taken apart and fixed. I got the motor from eBay. So next time you see a street DYSON think twice! 😉 

Kudos costs me nothing, so I give it freely .

I started writing a blog on design, technology and the future Take a look and let me know what you think!
Message 1 of 15
by: endorphin
on: 18/12/2018 | 17:30

Thanks for this @stephenpperry - we really all should be repairing our stuff rather than throwing it away. So it's great that Dyson make it easy to do. Smiley Happy

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 2 of 15
on: 18/12/2018 | 21:22

I’m pretty sure they want you to go to them and pay them to fix it, but they’ve made it as easy as possible for themselves... which really helps us out too.

But honestly it’s pretty easy. The only hard bit was making sure the wires were in the right position when slotting the motor back in. 

Totally agree reed we should be fixing things not throwing them away willy nilly! Check out Ifixit if you’re into fixing things, and also get some sugru form amazon! 😉 

I started writing a blog on design, technology and the future Take a look and let me know what you think!
Message 3 of 15
by: endorphin
on: 19/12/2018 | 11:05

Yh, I'm totally into fixing things if it's within my capabilities!

It seems manufacturers are starting to latch on to this creed as well, starting with Motorola https://ifixit.org/blog/11644/motorola-ifixit-partnership/

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 4 of 15
by: bluenose5
on: 19/12/2018 | 14:28
We'll Done you.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 15
on: 21/12/2018 | 10:01

Sone yeah. Many still won’t let us fix our things! I just thought of a fact that I’d forgotten about this all. Did you know the original lightbulbs would basically last for ever, the companies designed in failure! 

Desigming in failure for products we cant fix is intentionally done as part of product design 😞 

Message 7 of 15
by: harrrrrry
on: 21/12/2018 | 12:32

@stephenpperry

the original lightbulbs would basically last for ever, the companies designed in failure!

Perhaps, but you'll probably find it was also partially due to wanting more light out for the same power.

• Yes, you can probably get a much longer life by running the lamps at 20% lower voltage, but you also probably get 50% light out of the lamp
  • To compensate for that, you could probably use a thicker filament to get the orginal light output but stil keep the temperature low, and therefore a much longer life -- but it would probably use 50% more power than a lamp with the same light output operating at a higher temperature.

Now, consider that those lamps themselves were cheap and the electricity used during the life of the lamp was likely to be more expensive, they probably made the right decision -- not just for themselves but for the end user too.

Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 8 of 15
on: 21/12/2018 | 14:18

This wasn’t fact wars the bulb info was just annecdote and a reflection on the way throw away culture has been instilled.  Thanks for the detailed response though. 

Remember if you see a Dyson in the street you can easily save it.

or harvest it for parts and a profit. Take a look on eBay some bits sell for £40 alone! Crazy that people just throw things away! Also fly tipping is bad and we should observe the WEEE legislation. 

Message 9 of 15