Knowledge Base
Community

Fitguru premium text

Started by: mummrj
On: 11/06/2018 | 18:02
Replies: 10

by: mummrj
on: 11/06/2018 | 18:02

Have you received this text charging £3 without signing up?  Spoke to PSA today and they provided an email address to contact the company and ask the following questions.

1  how did you obtain my number on to your service?

2  how were the payments authorised?

3  can I have proof of the authorisation?

4  can you locate any interaction or usage between this number and your service?

Got immediate response unsubscribing me and offering full refund.  Yet to receive it but fingers crossed.

This is the email

>**email_removed**

Hope it helps people.  If not suggest you contact the regulator PSA direct.  0300 30 300 20

Message 1 of 11
by: muggles708
on: 11/06/2018 | 19:55 edited: 11/06/2018 | 21:11

mummrj wrote:

Have you received this text charging £3 without signing up?  Spoke to PSA today and they provided an email address to contact the company and ask the following questions.

1  how did you obtain my number on to your service?

2  how were the payments authorised?

3  can I have proof of the authorisation?

4  can you locate any interaction or usage between this number and your service?

Got immediate response unsubscribing me and offering full refund.  Yet to receive it but fingers crossed.

This is the email

>**email_removed**

Hope it helps people.  If not suggest you contact the regulator PSA direct.  0300 30 300 20

I'm sure this will be helpful to other victims of this scam. In my experience, consumers who persevere with a complaint ALWAYS get a full refund. The problem is that this is often made difficult. Consumers are told that they must have 'inadvertently' subscribed and dissuaded from pursuing their legal right to a refund. Consent obtained by deception has no legal validity, so these companies know they would lose if one of these cases went to court. They never do!

How is the refund being provided? Is it a refund direct to your phone account as you are entitled to under the Consumer Rights Act?

Make sure you pursue your complaint with PSA. The fact that you got a refund is immaterial. They commited an offence by signing you up without consent, and this matter needs to be investigated by the regulator. It also appears that there are a number of other victims of the 'fitguru' service scam. Consumers do not need the hassle caused by 'Payforit' scams, even if they do manage to get a refund. There are too many consumers being robbed through 'Payforit' fraud. Most of them never even pursue a refund, still less register a complaint with the regulator.

These scams are a disgrace to the mobile communications industry and it is time that they were stopped.

Paul

payforitsucks.co.uk

Been scammed by 'Payforit'? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for GiffGaff Customers
Support GiffGaff introducing two factor Authorisation for ‘Payforit’ https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16712363/require-2-factor-authentication-to-sign-up-for-payforit-tex...
Message 2 of 11
by: paul11243
on: 24/06/2018 | 21:44
Hi All,

I have just been scammed by this and am really unhappy, any chance of the email address to complain to or a Giff Gaff agent to help please.

Many Thanks
Message 3 of 11
by: tazzy19
on: 25/06/2018 | 07:07

@paul11243

The priority is to prevent them taking any more of your money, if you have no airtime credit, but only a goodybag, they cannot take these charges, but they will still build up and the charges will be taken next time you add airtime credit, if you simply block them they'll stiil be sent and the charges applied, but you'll have no information as to where the airtime credit is going or that the charges are building up.

You need to send STOP to the 5 digit number mentioned in the text

You need 10p credit to send the STOP message, but in the message there will be a customer services number which you can call from your goodybag minutes.

It is important that you do send the STOP text or that you get them to unsubscribe you.

If you don't do so the messages will still be sent, using up any credit you have, and even if you don't have credit the charges will still be applied when you next add air time credit.

Simply blocking the number will not stop the texts or charges as they are charged at network level, blocking simply stops them appearing on your phone but you will still be charged

You can enter the 5 digit number here http://psauthority.org.uk/about-us/number-checker to find alternative contact methods

See https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Tips-Guides/Premium-text-charges-do-s-And-don-t-s/m-p/18597940#M14... for more advice on how you became subscribed

Once you've sent the stop text you'll get a successfully unsubscribed message.

Once you are unsubscribed it's time attempt to recover your money, contact them from the subscribed phone, using the help number found in the text, or through the email or website found from the link above.
Explain you never knowingly subscribed and would like a refund of the charges

Message 4 of 11
by: 4128334
on: 25/06/2018 | 10:17
@pzul11243
@mummrj
Good Morning to Both of you.
You have unwittingly subscribed to a Premium Rate Text Number.
You will have to send a text to the Premium Rate Text Number with the word STOP. You will need Airtime Credit to send this Text as it is not covered by goodybag texts.
Also there will be a Call Centre Number towards the bottom of the Text, ring that and demand they remove your details from their subscription and refund all credit taken.
Until you can do this try and keep your Airtime Credit below £3 so they can not any more weekly crrdit
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 11
by: mummrj
on: 25/06/2018 | 10:33
Morning all
Initially I called the number quoted but was provided the email by a Giffgaff agent. Sorry, not allowed to post the email to assist. I reported the issue to PSA and they provided the questions I later emailed. I can confirm that I have since received my £3 they charged (via text which you have to show at the Post Office).
Just to clarify I DID NOT subscribe unwittingly to any service they offer.
Of note, I also suffered from premium texts from another company (6 x £4.50 each). I followed the same process and they have refunded me in total via BACS payment.
Message 6 of 11
by: andy_guthrie
on: 14/01/2019 | 14:39
What was the email mate?
Message 7 of 11
by: szsziq
on: 25/01/2019 | 22:13

This exact scam message from fitguru and mycontent has swallowed over £7 of my credit this past month. I didn't contact them. I was sent two texts, replied stop to one which failed and discovered today they are a charging service for their short code: 

"Thank you for subscribing to MyContent for £4.50 per week from Nexgen Ltd until you text STOP to 64055. HELP? 02037403517"

I've just put a request to investigate it too.

Message 8 of 11
by: male_massage_london
on: 05/08/2019 | 12:51

I got the text too. Have been told I'll be offered refund for £27 via  post office payout. Call centre based in Zagreb. Woman on phone was very helfpul. But this is definitely a scam that should be investigated. We should all report this to the authorities but it is a waste of time, here in the UK. Action Fraud doesn't do anything. I had to spend a lot of time soprting out identity thefts, by myself!  The polcie are utterly useless, in my experience. I had to deal with stuff by myself.  

But anyway... if anybody has any advice on the best, easiest and quickest way to report a scam, please replty this message. 

Message 9 of 11
by: pw6049
on: 07/08/2019 | 08:23
Thanks for this tip
Message 10 of 11