Knowledge Base
Community

Free 3G Skype Calls, until August 2010...

Started by: zanityman
On: 01/06/2010 | 14:20
Replies: 9

by: zanityman
on: 01/06/2010 | 14:20

Using the iPhone Skype app over wifi is great - where you have wifi.

Now, as we're allowed to use skype over 3G on GG, thought that iPhone owners might be interested to hear that Skype have made it possible for you to call using the 3G service rather than wifi.

At the moment it is 'free until August' to use, afterwhich there'll be a 'small montly fee' for using the service... but depending on that amount, it could be a great way of calling when you're watching your goodybag minutes!

Cheers - ZM

I don't work for GiffGaff, I'm just a very happy customer! Views expressed above are my own personal views are not necessarily those of giffgaff.

Message 1 of 10
by: theshadowman
on: 01/06/2010 | 14:28

Not sure you posting this is a good thing. If people use this, that might be taking away from GG profits.

Message 2 of 10
on: 01/06/2010 | 14:34

Or more people might use GiffGaff...?

I've set up 1 GG mobile and will be moving another away from o2 when the contract's up, mainly because of the limits on internet usage (i.e. no voip / streaming).

In order for people to abuse using voip services, they'd either need to be paying for the data from their credit or paying £10 a month by means of a goodybag, so I hope that it wouldn't cause GG problems.

Those are just my thoughts though...

Cheers - ZM

I don't work for GiffGaff, I'm just a very happy customer! Views expressed above are my own personal views are not necessarily those of giffgaff.

Message 3 of 10
by: mhoobag1
on: 01/06/2010 | 16:00

Surely Voip would be covered in the terms and conditions as continuous streaming of audio. Which is a breach of t&c, and also covered under 'you may not use your sim in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other giffgaff customers'.

As using voip would cause network strain on the cell/mast that you are sharing with others trying to use the internet while someone is hoging all the data for the streaming of an audio call. 

---Click the KUDOS if i helped---
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 4 of 10
by: jevison
on: 01/06/2010 | 16:55

I don't think this will hurt Giffgaff at all, they're providing an unlimited Internet service to all of us (until the free period is over, then it will just us Goodybag users obviously) and I think they're prepared to handle Skype over 3G. If you were calling someone on 3G over Skype and left it connected for several hours straight, I could see that as being on the borderline for impacting the service for other Giffgaff users. Not to mention it would probably break the continuous streaming of audio condition..

But.

I don't think everyone on Skype does that now do they? Think it's fine to use Skype over 3G as long as you don't take the mickey basically. Smiley Wink

Music for life. Forever, Chicane.
Got a question about Giffgaff and iPhone 4? Head to the iPhone 4 FAQ!
Message 5 of 10
by: ragnorak
on: 01/06/2010 | 17:16

I seem to recall the continuous audio streaming condition doesn't apply if you have a £10 or higher gooodybag, and they are getting paid if you buy that of course so it should all be good. This tip is only for the iPhone though right?

Everyone should have at least one phone on giffgaff Robot wink
Get a friend-pack SIM with £5 free on first top-up here
Please order a SIM if you don't yet have one, thanks.
Top 3 things that are free (or cheapest) on giffgaff
Message 6 of 10
by: andy0
on: 01/06/2010 | 18:55

I can't see this as a big deal

I'm scarcely a Skype user, but if things were to change and I wanted to use it on a mobile I'd do so on 3, using a separate phone - the advantage of Skype use on 3 is that it doesn't depend on having a 3g connection

If those 2 companies are mug enough to provide the service free, without any guarantee of any revenue at all to either of them, that's up to them

Message 7 of 10
on: 03/06/2010 | 10:32

Some of the 'can we / can't we' use voip on gg were covered in this thread (my first ever on gg!)

http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Help-Ask-the-community-got-stuck/VOIP-over-3G/m-p/17584

Being allowed to use voip (albeit rarely) is one of the reasons I've decided to move to gg from o2 (who forbid it. Along with streaming).

For the occasional skype call, streaming a few songs here and there a few times a month it is nice to be able to do it, without getting a phonecall or charged extra.

Cheers - ZM

Message 8 of 10
by: bigfatbball2
on: 03/06/2010 | 12:09

@zanityman wrote:

Being allowed to use voip (albeit rarely) is one of the reasons I've decided to move to gg from o2 (who forbid it. Along with streaming).

well.... forbidden but not blocked....

I haven't upgraded - this is only for AT&T really - I thought skype over 3G was already reality ages ago.(officially I mean) obviously when my iPhone was jailbroken I really couldn't care less since it was already possible 18 months ago....

Bigfatbball2
Don't forget to check out the giffgaffer top tips section before posting
iPhone 6 / OnePlus One
http://twitter.com/bigfatbball2
Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
on: 03/06/2010 | 12:36

Yes, not blocked, but I thought it's only a matter of time - even using it rarely - until o2 cut me off or something Smiley Wink

Skype over 3g from the iphone app has only been added recently - however, using fring etc you could do it without using the skype app.

I've yet to try it to hear if the advertised 'CD quality sound' is as good as Skype say it is... Also, will be interesting to see what charge skype introduce after the August 'free trial' of it runs out...

Cheers - ZM

Message 10 of 10