Knowledge Base
Community

HOWTO Debrand your Nokia Lumia 800 - Giffgaffers guide

Started by: noscere
On: 29/01/2012 | 09:14
Replies: 21

by: noscere
on: 07/02/2012 | 17:58
anttaz, ill check when i get home. I know the last time i lookd the black variant was at 11501 but the cyan was at 11451, the firmware bit was missing. Dont think nokia have finishd the rollout.
If you found my post helpful, please click the star (on the left) to give kudos!
Get a free giffgaff Sim Want microSIM? Watch my HOWTO on YouTube
When I kiss you on your cheesy lips, all I picture is you with him.
Message 11 of 22
on: 07/02/2012 | 23:00

@anttaz wrote:
I am wanting to know which rom to use to Unbrand to cyan UK GB retail closest I can find in all tools have ia a gb v2 or v3 in, im thinking this is virgin not retail?

Ok anttaz I have just check and as of 22:58 7-feb-2012 there is a V3 variant for Matt Cyan.

There were loads of compaints on the nokia forum when 11501 went live from sim-free Cyan owners because they didnt have an update. Now I understand why. Nokia probably forgot to do the differing firmware file (why is it different, i dont know....) then tried to cop out saying it was a phased rollout.

If you found my post helpful, please click the star (on the left) to give kudos!
Message 12 of 22
by: petermunnings
on: 13/02/2012 | 12:39
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Managed to update the firmware on my dying Lumia 800 to the latest for the correct country and all sorts of issues were fixed. runs like a dream now.

Well done!!!!!
Message 13 of 22
on: 13/02/2012 | 16:45

Glad you found it useful!

Message 14 of 22
by: dmulvey
on: 15/02/2012 | 12:32
Do you know if this only applies to the Lumia 800? I've an X2-00 that I'd like to de-brand (currently O2)
Message 15 of 22
on: 15/02/2012 | 13:35

Navifirm certainly will show all available firmware for Nokia devices. Hook up your device and check its current version - you should also be able to read the hardware code as well (eg lumia is RM-801, yours will be different). When it comes to actually performing the flash, I can't say whether this will work or not but its a good place to start. And remember google is your friend Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 22
by: daedalus_x304
on: 03/03/2012 | 23:43

I just want to say thank you and I ♥ you. (♥ = love)

My Lumia 800 was refusing to update, there is an issue with the cyan ones. I was about to take it back which meant 14 days without a Windows Phone which you may guess is the same as having someone poking an iPhone in your eye. Anyway it worked perfectly and and now I'm just syncing the files up and then I just need to put my contacts back on. They're all on the cloud so simple really. Thanks again, and much love.

Daedalus

Message 17 of 22
by: flik
on: 12/03/2012 | 20:10
Let's suppose that the phone indeed can receive zune updates after flashing firmware.
But, as the product code remains the same, will it be branded again, after the firmware flashing or will it continue to be unbranded?
Message 18 of 22
on: 20/03/2012 | 11:00

I updated my Nokia Lumia 800 this morning after a message flashed up on my screen.

I have an Orange device that was re-flashed with 11500 unbranded variant.

After the update, I still have an unbranded variant, currently running:

Firmware 1600.2487.8107.12070

Carrier: CV UK SW variant ID222 v.02 (this would say orange if it was the orange firmware)

So, a full update (firmware as well as OS) has not reset the variant back ... GOOD! Smiley Very Happy

Happy days.

Message 19 of 22
by: richardb20
on: 14/12/2012 | 23:19
Some folks are getting Timeout error soon after the Flashing.... starts. In my case, I was able to get past this by disabling/killing my TomTom GPS software. The TomTOM softare was 'grabbing' the USB phone connection and throwing up an error message saying I needed to format the drive. Just finishing flashing my Vodafone UK Lumia 800 now, it's re-booting, I;ve setup the region, date, time etc, and its installing a few more apps, thank-you for chosing Nokia and VOILA! A brand new wp8.7 Lmia 800. Yippeee!
Message 20 of 22