Knowledge Base
Community

Help protect you're photograph's/images against plagiarism/copying.

Started by: premierphotosuk
On: 18/05/2016 | 18:58
Replies: 114

Go to best answer
by: drakanstyr
on: 26/07/2017 | 08:07

Hi,

here are my personal thoughts.

Watermarking, signing and what ever you attempting to do to ''protect'' your photographs does not really makes any sense. I have done that maybe couple of times, and trust me I did post hundreads of shots on Facebook, Instagram etc. If you take into concideration how diff is to sell your work, then you may start thinking, does it really matter? Plus, all the shots we posting are JPEGs and probably shrinked or downsized which means poor quality. TIFFs, PNGs.... those formats contain all the data and quality, but not JPEGs. Of course if watermarking gives you a peace of mind please do so, but again most of people would be rather interested to buy full format TIFF. Andy

Message 71 of 115
by: sibtahmed
on: 27/07/2017 | 09:42
Excellent information.thanks for sharing.
Message 72 of 115
by: premierphotosuk
on: 27/07/2017 | 10:33

@drakanstyr I do agree with some of the comments you've raised & stated, and as many of us professional photographers wouldn't use .jpg files. But RAW, TIFF are our favourites for professional purposes?.

But for general photography and posting on giffgaff or Facebook etc, most if not all will use only .jpg as the compression is low. As for watermarking some people like to do this not necessarily for monetary financial gain but to purely to help protect their photos they would otherwise not share, it's all down to the individual how they wish to present their photography.

I quite agree watermarking is not very attractive but it helps serves a purpose for some photographers to share their photos on the inter web.Smiley Wink

Thanks for adding your useful input to this thread.👍🏻

On now in the photography board. Join in here Let's see and share some of your favourite animals. August challenge.

Message 73 of 115
by: mqahmed1
on: 27/07/2017 | 20:55
Really needed this information. Smiley Happy
Thank you for sharing this information and appreciating. 1+
Message 74 of 115
by: mjmob
on: 07/08/2017 | 10:01

other artists,' paintings from instagram and re present them as their own. thanks for posting- I'm def going to look into the tracking aspect- 

Message 75 of 115
Highlighted
on: 09/08/2017 | 13:16

@mqahmed1 & @mjmob I'm glad you found this information useful and hope it will help you in the future. Thanks for taking the time to read it and thanks for the support surrounding this.👍🏻

On now in the photography board. Join in here Let's see and share some of your favourite animals. August challenge.

Message 76 of 115
by: iphink
on: 11/08/2017 | 22:11

Hi @premierphotosuk

I've just seen that there are lots of Apps available for watermarking too!

Some examples use large text but very feint, to avoid being cropped off.

The "Signature" watermark looks quite appropriate, for me anyway.

You'd probably need a computer to edit the EXIF data...

ah, no, plenty of Apps for that too Smiley Happy

UK/EU PAYG Roaming prices: Calls 15p/min, Text 5p/text, Data 5p/MB
(goodybags/gigabags are usable in the EU for holidays)
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 77 of 115
by: dtuxcomp
on: 16/08/2017 | 14:05
@premierphotosuk Great thread for budding photographers, and some interesting free options for protecting ownership.

I was looking for something similar to protect written content ( in my case songs ) that didn't involve sharing the works with the world, so I've cobbled together a trick for keeping the content private whilst posting a public "magic number" key that could be used to prove when a piece of written work was created. At the moment it's a little rough and ready but I wondered if anyone would be interested in me turning the process into a tip thread ??
Smiley Happy Take my advice, I'm not using it | Dtuxcomp's Tips | Free Giffgaff SIM with £5 credit
Message 78 of 115
on: 16/08/2017 | 14:26 edited: 16/08/2017 | 14:27

Hey, @dtuxcomp glad you like my guide buddy? I hope this might help as I'm in a bit of a rush with my kids..  I do also create music and written stuff myself. The cost free way of doing it without paying copyright fees is copy the material music on a disc and write a description about it. If it's written music etc do the same stick it in an envolope and send it to yourself recorded delivery and don't open it. That way if you ever want to release it or whatever way and somebody copies it you have sealed proof it belongs to you. Rember to sign and date it I hope you get the general idea. I'm away at the moment and haven't got much time to explain further I hope this will help and on the right track for now..

If you need any further help I will be back Sunday.👍🏻

Message 79 of 115
by: dtuxcomp
on: 16/08/2017 | 23:51
@premierphotosuk Cheers mate, been doing that trick for 25 plus years Smiley Happy My new process is a little more hi-tec Smiley Wink

Enjoy your time away with your family. Give me a shout when you are back and I'll try to fill you in, in case it's helpful to you. D.
Smiley Happy Take my advice, I'm not using it | Dtuxcomp's Tips | Free Giffgaff SIM with £5 credit
Message 80 of 115