Knowledge Base
Community

Help protect you're photograph's/images against plagiarism/copying.

Started by: premierphotosuk
On: 18/05/2016 | 18:58
Replies: 114

Go to best answer
by: premierphotosuk
on: 18/05/2016 | 18:58 edited: 12/12/2017 | 21:32

Hi all,

Edited to reflect some new changes. 12/12/2017.

Here are some useful info and tools for photographers, artists, graphic designers or anyone that likes to take photos or artwork in general.

Free Watermarking Tools If you’re a photographer or any type of artist, whether it be a professional or a casual uploader or a graphic designer, protecting your images from copyright infirngement on the internet is important.

Simply put, images/photographs are among the most commonly misused types of content on the Web, especially since many use Google Images and the likes of a stock photo library, we're they think they can use them for what they please or like, it's not the case they don't just have the right to do this? Also people will steal and copy them despite clear warnings that images may be copyrighted.

And the image use isn’t just limited to people wanting stock photos for their blog or for giffgaff or any other website or a profile.

There are many cases of photos/images used and posted online being used on websites across the world without permission.

So if you post and share your photos online you can do this safely and it is worthwhile to take a moment and read this information below to make sure that they are protected.

However, this protection doesn't have to cost you a lot of money, in fact, it doesn't have to cost you anything.

With that in mind, here are some free Web-based tools to help you keep your images safe.

Watermarking is also One of the best ways to protect your image is to overlay a visible watermark on top of it. This, however, is a tricky art requiring skill in placing a mark opaque enough to be visible and central enough to not easily be cropped out, but still be out of the way and not ruin the image.

REMEMBER also if you watermark you're images, always keep the original in a safe place.

Though there are several image watermarking services, the most popular and free solutions are:

1. https://www.watermark.ws/ : The free account allows users to upload five images under 500 KB each and watermark with either text or an image. Also has features to resize and compress images. Can also do tiled watermarks.

2. http://www.watermarktool.com/default.aspx : Allows the upload of up to 5 images under 200 KB each and lets users add a text watermark. The pro account adds image watermarks, unlimited images per batch and a larger image size.

3. http://picmarkr.com/ : Allows uploading through Flickr, Facebook and Picasa. Can provide text, image or tiled watermarks.

4. http://alamoon.com/watermark-editor.html just download the free version. Also a pro version is available too, but will cost a little cash.

As you you can see the Watermark on my image below. 

IMG_0241.PNG2544563ppuk58999617

Though these services can't replace downloadable image editors for watermarking, at least not for free, they are great for “quick and dirty” watermarks, especially when you are on the go and away from your main computer.

Once you’ve done what you can to protect your image, you probably want to track it and see who is using it. Fortunately, Tineye is a reverse image search engine that can do exactly that.

With Tineye, you simply upload your image or point Tineye to the URL where it can be found on the Web and it seeks out duplicates of that image on the Web, including near matches that have been cropped, recolored, scaled, etc.

The technology works amazingly well though the database is still a bit limited at this time. However, it does cover 1.5 billion images and is growing very rapidly. Go to this link here http://www.tineye.com/

In the end, if you produce images for the Web, you need to know how to protect them and you need tools like the ones above to help you do that.

The misuse of images on the Web is rampant, at least as widespread as the infringement of text in many circles, and that is making it more critical than ever for artists of all stripes to take extra precautions to protect their work.

Fortunately, while that protection doesn't always come cheap, it often comes free. If you know where to look you can find professional, Web-based services to help you protect, track and enforce your content without paying out cash out of you're pocket.

Considering how little time it takes and how great the risks are, it is well worth the effort to make sure your images are well cared for.

Failing the advice I have given you, any of you're best photos you don't want copied, the best solution is don't upload them.

I hope this will help and has been of some use to youSmiley Wink

Happy snapping.👍🏻

On now in the photography board. Join in here Let's see and share some of your favourite animals. August challenge.

Message 1 of 115
by: gindygoo
on: 18/05/2016 | 19:06
Very useful advice there. Thank you for taking the time to compose such an in depth post on the risks and possible protections for online photographs/images.

I'm sure someone will make use of this, although I probably won't as I'm no great photographer.
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 115
on: 18/05/2016 | 19:10

gindygoo wrote:

Very useful advice there. Thank you for taking the time to compose such an in depth post on the risks and possible protections for online photographs/images.

I'm sure someone will make use of this, although I probably won't as I'm no great photographer.

@gindygoo You're welcome... You don't have to be good a photographer Hun, anyone can use this for their photos, it's just another way to try and stop this crap going on.  Thanks for the nice comment.

On now in the photography board. Join in here Let's see and share some of your favourite animals. August challenge.

Message 3 of 115
by: mcilwraith
on: 18/05/2016 | 19:10

Good post @premierphotosuk

I'm not bothered myself.anyone who wants to put a picture of me in the garden to keep the crows away can do so with my permission 

Message 4 of 115
on: 18/05/2016 | 19:13

mcilwraith wrote:

Good post @premierphotosuk

I'm not bothered myself.anyone who wants to put a picture of me in the garden to keep the crows away can do so with my permission 

@mcilwraith Thanks dude, Funny, I got a gun to keep you're crows at bay Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 115
by: sarahbanahnah
on: 18/05/2016 | 19:18
Yeah very useful information. Because I am a Makeup Artist, I always watermark my work before posting them because like this no one can copy my work. A lot of good information you have given. I am going to keep this in mind next time
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Click the banner above for a free giffgaff SIM with free airtime credit of £5.
If you can't see it, then click the link below:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/sarahbanahnah
Message 6 of 115
on: 18/05/2016 | 20:10 edited: 18/05/2016 | 20:13

Just added another free version in the above thread, but here it is again. http://alamoon.com/watermark-editor.html just download the free version. Also a pro version is available too, but will cost a little cash.

image.png

image from the above site, you can see how easy it is to use.

Message 7 of 115
by: brulaw
on: 18/05/2016 | 20:49 edited: 18/05/2016 | 20:50

@premierphotosuk

Excellent post with some very worthwhile information  ,

I used to dabble in photography ( alongside my interest in graphics ) but these days I only " grab "  the occasional picture  , 

I'm sure that a good many people will be making use of the links / info you have provided .... 

thank_you.gif

Message 8 of 115
by: snowman1888
on: 18/05/2016 | 20:51

Great usefull tools @premierphotosuk     Something i would use for photos i consider to be worth a watermark. and i have quite a few...Smiley LOL   I would much prefer something i could purchase, as i feel if you are getting something for free, there must be a hidden catch.    If you could let me know which one you use,i will consider purchasing it.......   Appreciate the time you took to post and share this information.......Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 115
on: 18/05/2016 | 21:08

@snowman1888 Thank you,. The one I personally use is Adobe Photoshop CS but that come at a high price and not for the faint hearted, but I tried the one in message 7 and as listed in my main thread as number 4. the lite version will do what you need and it's totally free and easy to use, but they do a pro paid version. The lite will do all you need.

Hope this has been of some use for you. Ps let me know how you get on.Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 115