Knowledge Base
Community

How do I find out the IMEI number (serial number) of my phone?

Started by: route79
On: 25/11/2009 | 16:07
Replies: 6

by: route79
on: 25/11/2009 | 16:07

This one is a handy one to know: you simply go the "idle screen" of your phone (sometimes called "standby screen", i.e. the screen that you normally start typing telephone numbers from when you want to make a phone call (if you still make telephone calls like that these days) and you type the following sequence of characters in the following order:

* # 0 6 #

Then you phone's IMEI (unique serial number) should be displayed on your screen.

Message 1 of 7
by: xmob
on: 25/11/2009 | 16:17

Just need to clarify:

While the IMEI should be unique to every GSM device, it is not the serial number.  The serial number is often on a sticker under the battery, usually with the IMEI also.

Message 2 of 7
by: route79
on: 25/11/2009 | 16:22

Good point xmob, thanks for pointing that out.

I've always found it really inconvenient to have to switch off the phone and take off the battery to get the IMEI; so this handy method (typing *#06# from the standby screen) is a really neat way of getting the IMEI without having to do that.

Message 3 of 7
by: superpowers123
on: 17/06/2010 | 03:14

This is useful info who is new to using a mobile phone

Message 4 of 7
by: nik_doof
on: 24/06/2010 | 12:31

Its good to note down your IMEI number when you get your phone, usually the number is on a stick on the side of the box, but just incase note it down somewhere safe.

If your phone is ever stolen you can call up your provider and get your phone IMEI barred, that would stop a casual thief from using or reselling the phone on,  As the bar is applied to the IMEI number it'll be blocked no matter what network they try to use.

If I helped, add karma!
Message 5 of 7
by: andy0
on: 24/06/2010 | 13:11 edited: 24/06/2010 | 13:58

@nik_doof wrote:

... usually the number is on a stick on the side of the box ...

true, but just once in a while the dealer has given you a returned phone and it's in the wrong box - I once called up a network to get connected and it turned out the phone number was wrong as well - which caused confusion at connections until I called the dealer and they realised what they'd done

Message 6 of 7
by: free_bee
on: 24/06/2010 | 13:21

@nik_doof wrote:

Its good to note down your IMEI number when you get your phone, usually the number is on a stick on the side of the box, but just incase note it down somewhere safe.

If your phone is ever stolen you can call up your provider and get your phone IMEI barred, that would stop a casual thief from using or reselling the phone on,  As the bar is applied to the IMEI number it'll be blocked no matter what network they try to use.

And, as has already been mentioned elsewhere, once you've found your IMEI number, you can register it on the UK National Property Register.

Message 7 of 7