Community

How people are leaking their details using the Amazon app | Toxiic's TIMED Tips

Started by: toxiic
On: 03/02/2019 | 13:57
Replies: 9

by: toxiic
on: 03/02/2019 | 13:57

Intro

I’ve come across the issue of people leaking their name and post-code on many occasions on websites/apps like Facebook’s Facebays and deal websites so I thought I’d explain the issue to you, challenging myself to do so in 20 minutes.

What’s happening?

The issue arises when people take a screenshot of an item on Amazon’s app which they then share around to other places on the web (uploading the screenshot that contains their details to other web platforms. This is an issue as your default address on your Amazon address book is shown along with your first name at the top of the page of when you look at an item. Thus, if you don’t manually scroll down slightly so that the details are hidden then you’re essentially displaying your details.

If this wasn’t enough, the same details are shown just above the Add To Basket button, so essentially you need to make sure that you cover the details (using the options below) above and below the product title and product photos.

How do you stop it?

• Scroll down slightly on a product page so the details get left behind as you move down the page.
  • Use a photo editor to draw over the details after you’ve taken the screenshot.
  • Crop the photo after you’ve taken the screenshot, so the details aren’t shown.

screenshot.jpgHere's what it looks like (obviously without the red scribbles). The product featured isn't associated/promoted by myself or giffgaff - it's only used as an example. The red scribbles are what people don't remove so they show their details.

Thanks for reading and make sure that you don't make this mistake as I see it on a daily basis when browsing Facebook or looking at deal websites.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

image.pngMore info on the gaff: The Gaff is a weekly newsletter releasing every friday with topics like tips, giffgaff announcements, lab highlights, blog highlights, tech news, new member introductions, photo of the week and more! To view the latest edition, simply click the relevant link below.

Message 1 of 10
by: pinkunykorn
on: 03/02/2019 | 21:43
Good tip. Thanks.
Message 3 of 10
by: gloriousiam
on: 03/02/2019 | 22:27

Thank you for sharing @toxiic

Message 5 of 10
by: afahmed
on: 05/02/2019 | 20:45

Well said👍