Community

How to: PLAN a Tips and Guides Post | Toxiic's Tips

Started by: toxiic
On: 07/09/2017 | 17:30
Replies: 43

by: toxiic
on: 07/09/2017 | 17:30 edited: 03/07/2018 | 09:55

By Toxiic

Note that after you've created a plan, you could use my other post to guide you through how to create the post:  How to: CREATE a Tips and Guides Post

So, you want to get started making some posts for the Tips and Guides part of the forum and don't know where to start? Or, you would like a couple of tips on improving the posts you've made already? - Well look no further, this post is here to get you kickstarted.

It's important to remember that you can now post a guide, tip or hack on anything (as long as it's forum friendly) - so literally anyone with any idea can get into posting. You don't have to be a world-star writer to start - you only need an idea and you can get going. As i'll show you below - it's that easy!

In addition, it's worth noting that you need to put your content in your own words. Of course, you can take ideas from other sources but it's not your work if you just copy and paste or very minimally rephrase other sources. It's your work - be orginal!

Now we've got that sorted... let's begin!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1

Okay, so you've got a rough idea on what you want to write (or take pictures of - or even make a video) about.

So, let's say I want to make a post on some Camera Tips. I start by writing a few tips down that I can think of. Like, perhaps, turn the flash off of your camera to take better pictures or look in the settings of your camera to see if there's any better features you could use.

Try making a list or mindmap of what you can think of, like below...hh.pngI've noted down all the tricks I can think of down here - which I can grow in the next step.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2

Right, so you've got a couple of points down that you can think of at the current time (if you think of any more, you can also add them).

Next, we need to do some research.

Type in your topic (mine is Camera Tricks) and see what results come up.kjj.png

Try to find a website with some more tips that you haven't mentioned already and add them to your list/mindmap...hh.pngI've managed to find a couple more tips that I can use in my post.

Note: You could also ask a family member or friend if they have any tips - especially with some more niche topics.

Step 3

We now need to put all that information into a post whilst trying to write like you would if you were trying to tell someone new to the topic you've chosen about it. Not all readers will be able to pick up what you're talking about if you keep it vague - but that doesn't mean you have to write an essay explaining everything.

A straight foward format to follow is the one below...

gg.png

For example, here's one I made earlier, following the guide above...

example.png

Some key points from my post here:

• There's a picture at the top which relates to the topic. It looks good to the readers eye and is about the topic. It also brings in the readers attention.
  • I have a quick intro, explaining what the topic is about and a quick summary
  • I have dashes (-) throughout to segregate the points and paragraphs - this is good as the reader can easily track where to read than it all being in one paragraph.
  • I have my main points throughout - again splitting them up with dashes (or you could use underscores). Also, adding some very quick summary of the point in bold - which will help readers in a rush find the point, which isn't stuck in a paragraph of explanation.
  • Then I have hyperlinked some other posts, where the reader can read more info on the topic and gain more from doing so.

Finally, you just need to finish by making a title. For instance, 5 _____ Tricks , How to ____, Guide on ____.

All that's left to do is hit that 'Post' button and feel proud of what a good post you've made!

Disclaimer: This is only a guide on what you can produce, you can make it on any topic (deemed fit for the forum), in no way am I saying my guide/technique is the best and everyone should follow this way to make a post - so you can add some originality to your posts if you do so wish. This is only designed as a guide and can be made into whatever you choose - as long as it's community friendly!

See @aggy_agate's thread here for more info.

To view more content.pngTo view more of my content, click the blue text just under this, as arrowed in the picture above.

Thank you all for viewing this content.

Message 1 of 44
by: clever007
on: 08/09/2017 | 06:35

hello @toxiic wonderful post thank you for sharing it Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 44
by: toxiic
on: 08/09/2017 | 07:02

Thanks, it's a good starting point for anyone unsure about getting into posting on the Tips and Guides forum.

@clever007

Message 3 of 44
by: clever007
on: 08/09/2017 | 07:07
yes true...
Message 4 of 44
by: premierphotosuk
on: 10/09/2017 | 18:44

That's what I like to see @toxiic wheel out helpful - but simple advice, to make all the gaffers lives easier & if it helps them it's a great job well done. I'm sure some have learnt a little tip or two along the way from this threadSmiley Wink I'm sure we will be seeing all these tips appearing on here in know time from the advice you've given as a starting block.Smiley LOL👍🏻

On now in the photography board. Join in here Let's see and share some of your favourite animals. August challenge.

Message 5 of 44
by: giffer23
on: 12/09/2017 | 12:25
Thanks a lot for this post, very useful. 
Message 7 of 44
by: giffer23
on: 12/09/2017 | 18:00
You very welcome. My pleasure.
Message 9 of 44