How to bypass Amazon Add-On items with an Echo Device | Toxiic's Tips

Started by: toxiic
On: 15/02/2018 | 11:54
Replies: 11

by: toxiic
on: 15/02/2018 | 11:54 edited: 15/02/2018 | 11:58

add on.png

How to bypass Amazon Add-On items with an Echo Device

Add-on items can be a pain – you want to buy something that’s a couple of pound but are held back by the need to reach at least £20 worth in your basket for the order to go through. Ah, those first world problems!

Anyhow, if you have an Alexa enabled device like an Echo Spot, Dot, Show or any other rapidly growing system then there’s a handy, perhaps deliberate on Amazon’s side, method on how to get past the frustration that is the add-on program.

Here's how to do it.

Requirements…

• Voice purchasing is enabled on your Echo device (How to check: Voice Purchasing Amazon Article)
  • You’re signed in on the website with the same account as you use on your Echo device.
  • Make sure 1 Click Ordering is activated and selected on the payment method and address of where you want your item to go! (Go to: Manage 1 Click Settings.) This is very important!!

Instructions...

1. Find the item you want on the website.
  2. Click 'Add to Basket'.
  3. Tell Alexa the following: ‘Alexa order *** in my shopping basket’.
  4. You may be asked your voice code if you have one set up.
  5. Alexa will then ask if you’d like to buy it. Say yes/no depending on if she’s found the correct item.

*** = A word in the title of the product. For example…

‘Alexa order the ethernet cable in my shopping basket’.

Note: This does take practice for Alexa to find the correct item in your basket and not just search for it on Amazon. Try to change *** to different words to see if Alexa can find the item in the basket through certain words.

order.png

________________________________________________________________________________________

To view more content.pngTo view more of my content, click the blue text just under this, as arrowed in the picture above.

Message 1 of 12
by: claw
on: 15/02/2018 | 19:15

I'm surprised they haven't yet closed that particular loophole yet. 

Message 2 of 12
on: 15/02/2018 | 19:17

It's been available for quite a while.

Potentially a deliberate loophole that they may have 'forgotten about' or something to give an incentive to purchase an Echo device.

Flipping handy though, hopefully they'll keep it like that,. Not many people know about it though so that may be why it's not being altered. @claw

Message 3 of 12
by: claw
on: 15/02/2018 | 19:23

toxiic wrote:

It's been available for quite a while.

Potentially a deliberate loophole that they may have 'forgotten about' or something to give an incentive to purchase an Echo device.

Flipping handy though, hopefully they'll keep it like that,. Not many people know about it though so that may be why it's not being altered. @claw

@toxiic I don't know it must be costing them a fair bit from the prime delivery, but they could if they wanted to, fix it. So it is odd that they've left it so long. That said while it's open people may aswell use it so kudos on highlighting it! Smiley Happy 

Message 4 of 12
by: hollowsdweller
on: 17/02/2018 | 10:08
Would this work using the Alexa voice enabled fire stick?
Message 5 of 12
on: 17/02/2018 | 16:16

hollowsdweller wrote:

Would this work using the Alexa voice enabled fire stick?

Good question, do you have a fire stick to try this on? If not I don't mind trying.

I'd guess not as the fire stick's Alexa is quite basic compare to Echo devices.

Let me know if you want me to confirm it for you, if you do try it and it works remember to cancel the item immediately if it's only to test. @hollowsdweller

Message 6 of 12
by: c_lockett
on: 18/02/2018 | 08:25
I used to buy alot of stuff from Amazon. Books and other things, but don't now due to the minimum £20 thing.
Message 7 of 12
by: finlaybj
on: 18/02/2018 | 13:56
Interesting loop hole!
Message 9 of 12