Knowledge Base
Community

How to obtain your phones Unlock Code from the Network...

Started by: mswan
On: 13/03/2012 | 22:25
Replies: 9

by: mswan
on: 13/03/2012 | 22:25
Hello All,

After having a discussion with several mobile telecommunication companies; I have been told that if you have had a contract (on that specific phone) and it has been paid off, or have been on Pay as You go (with them; in that phone, and same number) for at least 9 months...

... Then you can call them up and they will give you the Unlock Code for your phone "as a good will gesture, for using their network".

I have used this technique successfully with Vodafone and Three (Vodafone was PAYG... And Three was an "old" contract I paid off).

If they don't feel like co-operating, then you can ask to speak to their supervisor or just visit his lovely page on the GiffGaff website; which could also help you out with unlocking your phone Smiley Happy

-- http://giffgaff.com/unlock

Best Regards,
Michael James Swan
Message 1 of 10
by: ii
on: 13/03/2012 | 22:57
A goodwill gesture is just that. They won't do it for free for everyone especially if you are a payg customer who hasn't topped up much.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 10
by: mswan
on: 13/03/2012 | 23:01
Regardless of topup.. Providing that you have owed that phone (PAYG) with there network for just over the aforementioned timeframe, they should do it for free...

That's been my experience anyway Smiley Happy

Mike
Message 3 of 10
by: zoegirl2
on: 01/05/2014 | 13:38

Hoping this will happen for me!  Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
by: scoobydoo10uk2000
on: 01/05/2014 | 15:32
Payg fones can b unlocked for free after 12 months
Message 5 of 10
on: 09/11/2015 | 18:50

Sorry @mswan & @scoobydoo10uk2000, I realise I've been absolutely terrible at giving feedback (known this for a while!) and when someone writes "hoping this will happen for me!" you really want to know if it did or not, well I would and I always wonder about the outcome if I read it on another post! Smiley Happy 

So, to get to the point Smiley Sad actually it didn't work for me - Orange said I had a problem with my EMI... no IME(?) number and to phone Samsung.  Samsung said "That'll be $20 thank you" (not sure where they were going to work on it - would have to be sent off).  Decided to not go down that route - old phone: so sorted it myself Smiley Very Happy with inspiration from yanco's post re 02 sims and unlocked it for free via moneysavingexpert.com.  Have let him know! Smiley Happy  It worked ok... couldn't get internet but that's not a worry for me.

So, thank you.

Hope you've had a good day - here's a sunrise for the morning, incase it's raining again! Smiley Happy

ZoeGirl2

Sunrise.jpg

Message 6 of 10
by: isabel1066
on: 09/11/2015 | 22:03
pay as you go networks i have been on. all them wanted money to unlock the phones.that is why i use www.ebay.co.uk
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 10
on: 21/11/2015 | 00:57

Can't say I've ever been on ebay @isabel1066; friends say it's great but I'm a bit old fashioned - like to go to the shops!  Thanks for the advice should I change my mind.  I think Orange may have unlocked mine for free had it not had the IMEI(?) problem but it worked ok for me.  To be honest, I only have a mobile for emergencies (prefer the land-line) and am happy with a new one I picked up for £4.99, just texts and calls... perfect - and after I'd used the T-mobile bundle, I just put in a new sim and it changed - no problem  Smiley Happy

ZoeGirl2

Message 8 of 10
by: smiffyds
on: 21/11/2015 | 06:36
I had mine unlocked after 6mths on T Mobile cost me £17.00 and took 30 days.
Get a free giffgaff Sim

Message 9 of 10
by: davidevans0000
on: 21/11/2015 | 12:30
i have had the unlock codes from ebay that cost 99p when the network was charging £20.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 10 of 10