Knowledge Base
Community

How to save money on ink using HP Instant Ink | Toxiic's Tips

Started by: toxiic
On: 29/09/2017 | 20:51
Replies: 42

by: toxiic
on: 29/09/2017 | 20:51 edited: 28/12/2018 | 17:36

Note: you can check my other (more basic but quicker to read – quick guide on HP instant ink here: https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Tips-Guides/What-is-HP-Instant-Ink-Toxiic-s-Tips/td-p/20635724

20170929_154157-01.jpeg#first graphic for Toxiic Tip's

HP instant ink is a printer cartridge service by, well, HP (Hewlett Packard). Only Wi-Fi HP printers that have Instant Ink logo's or have 'Instant Ink Ready' on their boxes or manuals.
You get trial months of the service but can also add to these months by looking at the codes at the end of this guide.
Plans are based on pages than the ink you use – perfect for people who print photographs often.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DELIVERY

I’ve found it 2-4 days for the new cartridges to arrive (remembering that your printer orders the ink when you’ve reached half of your set pages each month – like with 300 pages, it would order it at 150 – so you always have ink ready).
When you receive your replacement inks, you get them sent in a nice box (really handy one too!) with the HP logo on the front.

Inside are the black and colour replacements, a postage-paid envelope for your old cartridges (that you just put in a post-box), a HP Instant Ink quick guide and a little pamphlet making sure you know when to insert the cartridges. It all looks very nice and tidy!

20170929_132845-01.jpegAll looks pretty clean, then..

20170929_133134-01.jpeg...kaboom, it's Christmas.

PRICE/PLANS

There are quite a few plans different plans that suit different people.

One of which is only available to some (presumably higher) models of HP printers, which you can check if your printer is eligible when signing up – you get 15 pages each month free – perfect for if you only use the printer not very often, and it’s free, so what do you have to lose?
The other 3 plans are as below. You should be able to find the most suitable one through an estimation of roughly how many pages you use per month – although you can change this.

HP inst ink plans.pngHP Instant Ink monthly prices based on number of pages. https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en/r

NOTE: HEAVY PRINTING AND FREE PRINTING (15 PAGES)IS ONLY ACCESSIBLE IF YOU USE CERTAIN PRINTERS WITH INSTANT INK.

It’s a good idea to pick the highest plan on your trial months of HP instant ink as you won’t pay for it anyway – so you can be as greedy as you like as long as you stay within the page limit.

Although, make sure you change the plan (if desired) when the time comes to start paying.

Personally, I’ve chosen the 500 page per month on my 6 month trial of instant ink (about 15 pages a day!). However, after the trial, I will downgrade it to the 50 page per month for £1.99. Remembering that whatever I don't use of the 500 pages rolls over to the next month ontop of the 500 pages I'll next month anyway.

Important Points 

• A page = any page with ink (even a little dot). So, try to fill pages with as much ink as you can – as you only pay per page – not the ink you use. This is also very efficient for people who print photos often – as it often costs a bomb without instant ink as you pay for the ink (not page) and photos take up a lot of ink.

• You can change any instant ink plans you have every month to suit you or cancel the subscription altogether and use normal ink cartridge.

• HP instant ink cartridges are quite a lot bigger than the starter inks that come with a printer and are bigger than regular HP cartridges.

• HP instant ink cartridges stop working when you cancel the subscription (pretty sneaky!).

• You have to enter payment details even when you’re only signing up for a trial.

• You get certain amount of months of ink trials with your printer – you can add to this by using code FREEINK or a friend’s referral code (click the sign up). Enter these when signing up for the service.

• A percentage (based on your plan) of pages get rolled over to the next month if they’re not used – although only last the next month until they expire.

FREE INK CODES

1 month on top of trial months = FREEINK

Look out for any promotional codes from HP that might gain you an extra few months - these regularly change.

RESOURCES

Here’s a list of resources you can use to find out more about HP instant ink:

• The HP Instant Ink Homepage
  • A list of all the eligible printers for HP instant ink (IN SPOILER BELOW).
Click to reveal

Here's what the person who referred you will see...Screenshot_20181228-173230_ProtonMail.jpg

You're only named as a "friend" so don't worry if you're unsure as to whether they'll get your name/details! Take full advantage of the free month!

To view more content.pngTo view more of my content, click the blue text just under this, as arrowed in the picture above.

Message 1 of 43
by: clever007
on: 30/09/2017 | 06:30

hello @toxiic good post Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 43
by: clever007
on: 01/10/2017 | 07:32
yes thank you I found it very useful Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 43
by: irenahalder
on: 01/10/2017 | 11:36
Thanks very much for this @toxiic I shall give it a try I think.
Message 6 of 43
on: 01/10/2017 | 11:40 edited: 06/03/2018 | 18:34

Alright, let me know if you have any problems or need advice. Remember that you have to have a WiFi HP printer. 

If you do do it then use codes FREEINK and lwv6T(or a friend's referral code whose already signed up to the service).

Its best to check out my other part of the guide here, as well as that includes some more info...

https://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Tips-Guides/What-is-HP-Instant-Ink-Toxiic-s-Tips/td-p/20635724

@irenahalder

Also remember that you could just use the trial months, cancel the subscription before the trial ends then go back to normal ink.

Message 7 of 43
by: irenahalder
on: 01/10/2017 | 11:50
Damn my WiFi printer 2540 not listed. Such a shame because the high cost of the replacement cartridges has been a huge problem for me (I’m an artist on a very low income). I tried a refilling system that was rubbish - ink everywhere except in the cartridge !!! Oh well, thanks for taking the trouble anyway @toxiic.
Message 8 of 43
on: 01/10/2017 | 11:55

No problem. You could consider buying the cheapest WiFi printer HP offer, like this one for example https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0158HR002/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_zJm0zbFG1NYS9.

I personally got the HP 4527, it's about £50 but I use the printer quite often so it was a good choice.

As you can see from the post, I have got the next 6 months (5 now) of completely free ink and then I'll downgrade to the £1.99 for 50 pages.

I did used to pay about £20 every 2 months on my previous HP printer without HP instant Ink - so I'm saving a bomb using this service.

@irenahalder

Message 9 of 43
by: premierphotosuk
on: 02/10/2017 | 11:21

toxiic wrote:

@premierphotosuk , what do ya think of the graphic at the top? #professional!

@toxiic Sorry for the late reply been very busy with various things....Good attempt there my friend?. Sometimes it only needs graphics to be to the point this does it graphically, when i do my graphics i like to go into overkill mode as you already know. My opinion is i would just suggest is to make the pictures smaller as they are a little to large and crowding out the text, but it's up to you how you show these as it's your project. Hope this helps.Smiley Wink

On now in the photography board. Join in here Let's see and share some of your favourite animals. August challenge.

Message 10 of 43