Knowledge Base
Community

How to transfer texts and call logs from old phone to new?

Started by: jvector
On: 06/02/2019 | 09:42
Replies: 7

by: jvector
on: 06/02/2019 | 09:42 edited: 06/02/2019 | 10:22

Moving from an old LG phone to a new Blackview. Both running Android (5.2 and 7.0)

1. I've copied Contacts fromLG phone to SIM, moved the SIM to Blackview, that worked.
  2. Blackview setup was able to copy Apps and App data from LG vai Bluetooth.
  3. Google account data transferred OK.
  4. Pictures are exported to cloud and/or PC periodically so I expect they will be fine.
  5. BUT I have long history of text messages and call logs on the LG that I'd like to keep by moving on to the Blackview.
  6. I've looked at LG Backup which is installed on the LG but I think I'd need to have an LG as the receiver phone.
  7. I found a quote freeware unquote backup/restore to PC program, which (a) would not recognise my LG connection over USB, (b) would have needed be to buy the non-free version to use a restore feature 

Any suggestions on a good, free package I can use to copy texts/logs from LG via PC ?

... Or via SD card or cloud? 

I really don't want to need to trust some amateurs piece of flaky PC ware if I can avoid it.

Thank you folks...

Message 1 of 8
by: endorphin
on: 06/02/2019 | 16:48

Hi @jvector this app seems to do what you want https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en_GB although I have not tried it myself.

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 2 of 8
on: 06/02/2019 | 17:06
Hi @endorphin, would you believe I found that app just a bit earlier today! Installed it on to my old phone and new phone (both at home so could use wi-fi for both of them); backed up all my SMSs and call logs from old phone to a Googel Drive folder ( about 1.2K call logs and 1.3K messages total), then ran Restore from new phone. Worked a treat :-)

The app can also be set up to do a repeated scheduled backup of SMSs/call logs from your active phone which is nice.
Message 3 of 8
on: 06/02/2019 | 17:22

So, just to write this up as a proper Tip so searchers may find it:

1. On a PC, visit The Google Play Store SMS Backup Restore page.
  2. Log in if necessary to the Google account that you use on your old  phone.
  3. Assuming Google says the app is compatible with your device, hit [Install].
  4. If the account for your new phone is different, log in to that.
  5. Install the app to your new phone too.
  6. Wait till your old phone finishes having the app installed.
  7. Run the app on your old phone, select [Backup], choose where to have the backup files created (I used a Google Drive folder), select either/both of SMS and Call logs.
  8. Wait till the backup is created.
  9. Wait till your new phone finishes having the app installed if necessary (I did not have to wait, it was pretty quick).
  10. Run the app on your new phone, select [Restore], choose the location where you put  the backup files created in step 7&8  select either/both of SMS and Call logs.
  11. Wait while the backup is restored onto your new phone.
  12. Enjoy :-)
Message 4 of 8
by: endorphin
on: 06/02/2019 | 17:23

Glad to see you're sorted @jvector Smiley Happy

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 5 of 8
by: afahmed
on: 06/02/2019 | 20:21

Great work #jvector 👍

Message 6 of 8