How to use Twitter on giffgaff!

Started by: vincent
On: 23/06/2010 | 14:07
Replies: 21

by: vincent
former giff-staffer

on: 23/06/2010 | 14:07 edited: 06/10/2010 | 10:51

Hi all,

As you can see, we have a Twitter application on the right hand side of our forum landing page: http://community.giffgaff.com/

And rather than make it a static application, which simply shows tweets about giffgaff we thought we'd do something a bit more with it, and so added the ability to immediately tweet back, or make a thread out of a tweet to either entertain or help people who have questions about giffgaff on Twitter.

The tweets displayed in our Twitter feature are those that mention giffgaff, giffgaffhelp and gghelp.

As we do want to make sure that those people who react to the tweets are knowledgeable about giffgaff, you have to have reached the forum rank giffgaffer advisor or higher before you can use this to react to those people who talk about us on Twitter.

Obviously there's nothing to stop you from simply logging into Twitter yourself and tweet if you haven't reached that rank yet, but this simply makes it easier and gives you some added functionality which is quite cool Smiley Happy

So how do you use it?

Bear with me, this is going to be a massive explanation Smiley Happy

Every tweet you see has a few options below it.

The easiest one being simply Reply to Tweet:

138iE4405AE9337D5959

This does exactly what it says on the tin and replies to the tweet as if you were using Twitter itself but gives you a few more options.

Once you click that button the following appears:

144i1FAB8638AEBBA746You can simply type in the message you wish to write and click reply or..

Type in a search term, click on 'Search Community' and select the relevant topic to add a link to the tweet and then hit reply.

Search box that comes up looks like this:

140i96B910E4F82C8E99

And simply click 'add link' to add the link in the tweet.

The other option is to create a topic out of the tweet you've spotted and to do this you need to hit the following button:

141i1CAA542015B170F1 Click this to create a topic out of the tweet itself.

However, when you do this the actual tweet will become the 'body' of the message, so you'd have to create your own subject header:

142iD528DAED9E4C3339Type in the subject and add a message of your own if you want.

Once you have done that, don't forget to tick the box to notify the author of the original tweet, so he or she knows that you've spotted it and have either provided an answer or have asked our community for an answer on their behalf.

Now before you create the topic, you have to choose where in the forum you want the topic to be created.

Of course look at the subject of the tweet and your answer and you should be able to quickly pick the right category for the topic.

Simply click on the drop down menu and choose the correct forum:

143i1470B3321D51A3F0 Once you have selected the correct forum, click create Topic.

And you're done!

Aside from the Twitter application, you can now also Tweet every topic you see on this forum. Ah yes, I know you've always wanted this, so here it is!

Next to the subject of each thread there is now a button called 'Tweet Post'.

149iF849A4A8B2D353D0

When you click this it opens up a menu, which shows you the subject of the post as well as the link to this specific post. Of course you can also add your own message before you tweet it:

150iB3D04660C2A98751

Simply click 'Tweet it!' and you've now tweeted it as if you're on Twitter.

Beautiful isn't it?

And this is not all!

As an added functionality, you can now fully giffgaff your Twitter profile as well! This is not linked to your rank by the way, but simply a feature of giffgaff now.

Check this out:

In 'My Community Settings' you now have an extra option, surprisingly called 'Twitter'.

145iCEFB7D8E42D64D79

Under 'Twitter Settings', you can link in your Twitter account which is easy enough. For those of you using the Twitter application on our forum, you have to do this in order to be able to reply, create topics from tweets etc.

Next to Twitter Settings, you have something called, 'Twitter Badge', and this is pretty nifty and gets me all excited Smiley Very Happy:

146i81A11F4A3E474B6A

You can at the moment choose between four different themes and I am working on getting the proper giffgaff theme in there as well.

Once you have chosen the theme you like, simply upload it to your Twitter account by pressing this button:

147i3BF436ABE3411CA0

And now you can see on your Twitter profile all the cool stuff you've done on our community, like so:

148i3091CF42B24B540A

Pretty cool stuff right?

Have fun using it and if you have any question, please let me know.

Cheers,

Vincent

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VincentBoon
Message 1 of 22
by: danielclo1il
on: 23/06/2010 | 15:26 edited: 23/06/2010 | 16:08

i dont seem to be able to link my twitter with the giffgaff forum, it says that an error has occoured

seems the gadget doesn't like windows internet explorer... another reason to get a mac Smiley Wink Smiley Tongue

haha switched to FF and now im up Smiley Happy

Thanks
Dann

Message 2 of 22
by: xmob
on: 23/06/2010 | 15:58

I was about to ask, but did the right thing and searched first:

Ranks explained

I'm not at the right rank (yet!).  But will use this as soon as I can.  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 22
on: 23/06/2010 | 16:02

@xmob wrote:

I was about to ask, but did the right thing and searched first:

Ranks explained

I'm not at the right rank (yet!).  But will use this as soon as I can.  Smiley Happy

do you have to be a certain rank to use it?

Thanks
Dann

Message 4 of 22
by: bigfatbball2
on: 23/06/2010 | 16:10

@dan yeah mentor minimum but your a guide so you should be fine

Bigfatbball2
Don't forget to check out the giffgaffer top tips section before posting
iPhone 6 / OnePlus One
http://twitter.com/bigfatbball2
Message 5 of 22
on: 23/06/2010 | 16:13

@bigfatbball2 wrote:

@dan yeah mentor minimum but your a guide so you should be fine

ooh, well thats something i didnt know Smiley Tongue thanks for that Smiley Happy

i love the fact that most people on here now know my official name, rather than my username Smiley Happy

Thanks
Dann

Message 6 of 22
by: bigfatbball2
on: 23/06/2010 | 17:52

@danielclo1il wrote:

i love the fact that most people on here now know my official name, rather than my username Smiley Happy

well at the same time "dan" is also a simple shortner for danielclo1il

and your real name isn't exactly hidden either Smiley Wink

Bigfatbball2
Don't forget to check out the giffgaffer top tips section before posting
iPhone 6 / OnePlus One
http://twitter.com/bigfatbball2
Message 7 of 22
on: 23/06/2010 | 18:42

@bigfatbball2 wrote:

your real name isn't exactly hidden either Smiley Wink

Smiley Indifferent why...

Thanks
Dann

Message 8 of 22
by: clairekav
former giff-staffer

on: 16/07/2010 | 11:37

I've giffgaffed my twitter profile - http://twitter.com/clairekav

Super easy - thanks Vincent!

Note: If someone has answered your question in 'Ask the community', please mark it as 'accepted solution’, then we know you're sorted
Message 9 of 22
by: vincent
former giff-staffer

on: 06/10/2010 | 10:54

Hi all,

The rank you need to be able to use this feature has now been lowered to giffgaff advisor to hopefully get more people enthusiastic about it and using it to provide help to those people on Twitter.

Have fun all!

Cheers,

Vincent

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VincentBoon
Message 10 of 22