Message 21 of 30
by: haseebhejazi
on: 19/01/2019 | 22:45
Don’t worry 😉 now friend and make a strong pasward
Message 22 of 30
by: dez_d
community giff-staffer

on: 28/01/2019 | 13:28 edited: 28/01/2019 | 13:30

I've tried to move over to something called a passphrase now instead of passwords.

The one I've been looking at is Diceware which can give you a secure passphrase using easy to remember phrases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diceware

I found a really good app on iOS and coupled with a good password manager like 1password or Lastpass then you will be all set.

There is an argument that because the passwords are stored online with these password managers that it is less secure but as long as you have a really good secure master password and have finger print access enabled with maybe an authenticator app the responsibility would fall to the company that runs the app.

Everything has the potential to be hacked but you need to make it as hard as possible so your not compromised.

giffgaff Educator

Message 23 of 30
by: endorphin
on: 29/01/2019 | 10:39

@dez_d wrote:

There is an argument that because the passwords are stored online with these password managers that it is less secure

Password managers should encrypt a user's passwords which are stored online using at least the user's master password. So even if the encrypted passwords were stolen they could not be decrypted (unless in the unlikely scenario they discovered your master password).

Get a free giffgaff SIM/microSIM/nanoSIM with free £5 credit
Message 24 of 30
by: afahmed
on: 01/02/2019 | 16:26

Thanks dear friend this was very informative post.. 

Message 25 of 30
by: jonkent
on: 01/02/2019 | 18:58

@endorphin wrote:

@dez_d wrote:

There is an argument that because the passwords are stored online with these password managers that it is less secure

Password managers should encrypt a user's passwords which are stored online using at least the user's master password. So even if the encrypted passwords were stolen they could not be decrypted (unless in the unlikely scenario they discovered your master password).

Which is true, though you have to put your faith in the entity to secure them.

Whilst some might jump on this type of service, I personally prefer to keep mine 'offline', I feel this adds the extra peace of mind than having them all in one 'online' basket.

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 26 of 30
by: stephenpperry
on: 10/02/2019 | 11:38

You should 100% be using a password management app at this point in time. While they do cost money sometimes that cost is worth it for your safety! I highly reccomend 1 password and have myself been using it for years! https://1password.com Your online accounts are as important as locking your house up these days. Don’t take unecessary risk with insecure passwords. 

Kudos costs me nothing, so I give it freely .

I started writing a blog on design, technology and the future Take a look and let me know what you think!
Message 27 of 30
Highlighted
by: mijthebarber
on: 11/02/2019 | 10:44
We hope so , but no ones is good enough I don't think
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 28 of 30
by: grumpy_grandad
on: 13/02/2019 | 19:08

im gulity of having diffrent variations of the same password for most things if I had too many I would forget Smiley Sad

Message 29 of 30
by: jsmith2009
on: 18/02/2019 | 08:58

Hi,

Everyone should have a strong password and a different one for every application.

Trouble is it can be difficult with so many sites and accounts.

Cheers

Message 30 of 30