Community

Manage your data usage - Free app

Started by: gnans22
On: 13/06/2014 | 11:55
Replies: 6

by: gnans22
on: 13/06/2014 | 11:55 edited: 13/06/2014 | 11:56

Hello,

This post will be of some help to people who are using data on pay as you go and limited goodybag. For others who are on unlimited goodybag, you can still use if you are interested to see how much data you are using and which apps consume more of your data (in some cases to see how much time you spend on some internet apps)

My DATA Manager - FREE app

Apple store - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/my-data-manager-track-your/id477865384?mt=8
Android store - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobidia.android.mdm

App website - http://www.mobidia.com/products/takecontrol/

Before I mention the features, the first question for any app usage is - Does it drain the battery? Based on my usage experience on Android 4.4.3 it consumes 3% of the battery.

• Track your data usage to avoid additional charges on your bill
• Understand what apps are using data with data monitoring of your app data usage.
• Set usage alarms to avoid overage charges and “bill shock”.
• Track historical app time and app usage using easy to understand visualizations.
• Ensure you are using your ideal data plan and maximize how you use your data.
• Simple to setup and simple to use.
• Save money by using your plans more effectively.

If you are already using or started to use, share your feedback (especially on battery usage) which will help other members.

Free SIM with £5 credit to UK in first class post
Free SIM with £5 to Worldwide

If my post helped, click on Kudos or set as Best Answer if your problem is solved Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
by: mathew40
on: 13/06/2014 | 11:56
Ooo,thankyou very much my friend,I will give this a try later on,cheersSmiley Wink.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 7
on: 13/06/2014 | 20:39

@mathew40 

I will be glad if you share your experience mentioning the OS you tried.

If my post helped, click on Kudos or set as Best Answer if your problem is solved Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 7
by: axean1
on: 14/06/2014 | 16:20

I've been using 'My Data Manager' for a couple of years now (I think), and battery usage is not an issue. It's never registered notable battery usage on my HTC Wildfire S

I've previously sugggested that if your on the £10 Goodbag with the 1GB  data limit then it an absolute must to have a data manamgent app. 'My Data Manager' was the app I suggested. I've tried several and it's the best I have found.

A very useful part of the app is the ability to set 'Usage Alarms'. This is vital if your on a limited data package.

I have only 1GB so I have set the alarm to notify me when I hit 300MB and 800MB, and then turn off data usage at 998MB.

Ironcially this post comes on the same day as a new update for the app. I never update apps before reading reveiws of the update on the Android Play Store. It appears the new update may not be as good as the old version, because the developer has changed things to make it more fashionable with minimilist appearence which provdes less info. I'll wait a few more days for more reviews before deciding to update. Regardless of that I strongly recommend this app, and it is a must if you're on the £10 Goodbay with £1GB data.

Message 4 of 7
by: yahiroz
on: 14/06/2014 | 20:40

How different is this from the built in data manager on Android 4.0+? The built in one keeps track of how much data each app uses per day, as well as allowing you to set monthly limits and alerts.

Pictures of the HTC One version:

http://i.imgur.com/ygjyQT9l.png

http://i.imgur.com/3HY8clwl.png

HTC One M7 - Sense 6.0, Android 4.4.3
Google Nexus 10 - Android 4.4.4
Message 5 of 7
on: 15/06/2014 | 08:12 edited: 15/06/2014 | 08:13
@yahiroz

The benefits I see compared to stock one is

Great user interface
Split of data usage by 3G, WiFi and Roaming (stock doesn't do this bit)
Slice and dice your data as bar graph, circle graph & horizontal bar. Reports for month, day & hour at touch rather then dragging the two small lines in stock
You can set-up to enable or disable data when you have reached limit.
Can have a status bar icon to monitor it whenever you visit the notification area.

Message 6 of 7
by: yahiroz
on: 15/06/2014 | 12:29

But stock does split it 3G and wifi, you just need to swipe right to see the others. I don't think it shows roaming seperately however so I guess that's one advantage to the app.

I don't mind how you set the limits and alerts on the stock either but this is a preference thing. And the limit does disable mobile data when you have reached it.

Personally, I like my notification area nice and clean, but again, this is a preference thing Smiley Tongue.

HTC One M7 - Sense 6.0, Android 4.4.3
Google Nexus 10 - Android 4.4.4
Message 7 of 7