Knowledge Base
Community

Marshmallow Doze Standby Time Improvements

Started by: cim
On: 15/10/2015 | 10:39
Replies: 13

by: cim
on: 15/10/2015 | 10:39 edited: 15/10/2015 | 12:19

I have a Nexus 5 which was pushed the Android Marshmallow 6.0 update yesterday.

If you are wondering what Marshmallow will do for you and whether you need it - I don't think most people will find it a very a spectacular improvement in most respects - but the big deal is that battery drain on standby has been dramatically improved.

Google call this new functionality 'Doze'.

Previously I lost around 2% per hour - maybe up to 20% of battery overnight which would be around 2 days standby from full charge on an unused phone.

First indications are that on Marshmallow the overnight drain is around 4% - which indicates a massive improvement in battery life on standby!

I would extrapolate up to over a week on standby for an unused Nexus 5.

These are the last two overnight performances captured in a Battery Monitor Widget App.

Before Marshmallow Doze:

BeforeDoze.png

After Marshmallow / Doze:

AfterDoze.png

I cant work out whether to say "Congratulations Google" or "Why didn't you do that sooner?Smiley Happy

Footnote: I have read that Doze uses the phone's accelerometer to go into a deeper standby mode when the device is not moving - so I expect that a phone on standby in a pocket or car may not see quite such good results...

Get a free Giffgaff SIM posted to you pronto
Message 1 of 14
by: kicker
on: 15/10/2015 | 11:19
Lollipop was suppose to be more battery friendly but people were still experiencing battery drain more often, let's hope Google have learnt more and marshmallow 6.0 is gonna be a lot better.
Get a free giffgaff SimEconomy is the wealth of the poor and the wisdom of the rich.
Message 2 of 14
by: illy1965
on: 15/10/2015 | 18:02

lollipop made my one m8 worse for battery life hopefully it will improve when i get updated, but it had the opposite affect on my nexus 10

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 14
on: 16/10/2015 | 00:41

@illy1965 wrote:

lollipop made my one m8 worse for battery life hopefully it will improve when i get updated, but it had the opposite affect on my nexus 10

I was not aware that marshmallow has been released for the nexus 10?

Message 4 of 14
by: kimchi
on: 16/10/2015 | 13:47
That's good news because after lollipop my s4 battery drain became ridiculous! I lost 10% every 20 mins of little to light usage
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 5 of 14
on: 16/10/2015 | 20:00

cim wrote:

@illy1965 wrote:

I was not aware that marshmallow has been released for the nexus 10?

It hasn't I was referring to lollipop making the battery life better on my nexus 10 compared to what it was like on KitKat, but strangely it became worse when my one m8 got updated to lollipop

On a side note I've got a nexus 9 as well (need a tablet for my house as well as my girlfriends) and that got updated to marshmallow last night, I lost 1% battery in 20 hours on standby, pretty impressive I think

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 6 of 14
by: kicker
on: 16/10/2015 | 22:31
Yes, sounds impressive battery standby, maybe google has now sorted this dreaded battery drain that was on Lollipop.
Get a free giffgaff SimEconomy is the wealth of the poor and the wisdom of the rich.
Message 7 of 14
on: 17/10/2015 | 00:37

@illy1965 wrote:

I was referring to lollipop making the battery life better on my nexus 10 compared to what it was like on KitKat, but strangely it became worse when my one m8 got updated to lollipop

On a side note I've got a nexus 9 as well (need a tablet for my house as well as my girlfriends) and that got updated to marshmallow last night, I lost 1% battery in 20 hours on standby, pretty impressive I think

Ah Ok thanks - interesting. The Nexus 9 standby improvement is good news.

Message 8 of 14
on: 17/10/2015 | 19:06

@cim

Any more news on how the battery standby time is like when you are moving around compared to overnight when the phone isn't moved 

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Message 9 of 14
by: lgl20
on: 17/10/2015 | 22:51

Got A nexus 5, got the update. Didn't put the phone on change last night at 33%, this morning it was 32%... Very pleased

Message 10 of 14