Knowledge Base
Community

More scam texts.

Started by: holier_than_thou
On: 11/02/2019 | 14:41
Replies: 6

by: holier_than_thou
on: 11/02/2019 | 14:41

Just received this from 'HSBC' telling me my account has been locked....except i'm not with HSBC and never have been 😕

20190211_143613.png

Message 1 of 7
by: padiho
on: 11/02/2019 | 15:10

Yes you have to be aware as there are so many like the above going around.  I've had them from Amazon , PayPal , Apple and one bank but can't remember which one. Like you I didn't bank with them. 

Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 7
by: allan1954
on: 11/02/2019 | 15:14
just had a phone call we are cutting off your broadband service press number 6 to stop it happening it was from a machine. where normally it's from an abroad call centre. duh, we dont have any broadband.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 3 of 7
on: 11/02/2019 | 15:24
@padiho @allan1954

That's the thing, we're savvy enough to know NOT to press any buttons or click on any links, unfortunately there are a lot of vulnerable people out there that do though.

Scum of the earth these scammers, just money grabbing 'bleeps' (<self censoredSmiley Wink)
Message 4 of 7
by: jesi23
on: 11/02/2019 | 16:21

@allan1954 @holier_than_thou @padiho 

I have (today) had two ‘machine calls’ telling me they need to do something to upgrade and prevent my landline (and internet?) being discontinued … one purporting to come from BT and the other I am not sure from where … (not the same voice) but we are not with BT … and it is too soon to upgrade our phone plan as we only went onto fibre broadband (and a new phone plan) in October.

Needless to say, after answering, ‘Hello!’ and waiting a response, I listened, but pushed no buttons; I suppose I could lift the receiver again and see if they are still on the line … I never thought of them not hanging up … oh, dear!

🤡

Please don't forget to come back after your problem has been resolved and select a best answer.
Also consider a kudos [+★] for any member who helped.
Message 5 of 7
on: 11/02/2019 | 16:26
They'll try every way they can think of to part us from our hard earned money @jesi23 , but as long as we're vigilant it'll never happen.

I rang HSBC to inform them, said i'm not a customer of theirs but felt they needed to know. They asked me to email a screenshot of the text to report.phishing @hsbc.com, which i gladly did.
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
by: django21
on: 11/02/2019 | 17:38
they are annoying
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 7 of 7