Knowledge Base
Community

Nexus 5

Started by: historygirllfc
On: 29/01/2014 | 20:34
Replies: 5

by: historygirllfc
on: 29/01/2014 | 20:34
Just got myself a nexus 5 any recommendations to make the most of phone?
YNWA
Justice for the 96
Message 1 of 6
by: crbnew
on: 29/01/2014 | 20:40
I would reconnend the lg quick cover case, I use it. Yes its expensive but is really nice quality and live that when you open the case the screen turns on. Also click the build number about 10 times to get dev options and choose to run in ART instead of DALVIK, better on battery and makes the phone even faster but please note that some apps may not work yet in ART.
Message 2 of 6
by: h4nifg
on: 29/01/2014 | 21:00

I really like 'Google Now' and how the voice search works.  Lots of up to date and useful information at your fingertips.......

Message 3 of 6
by: historygirllfc
on: 29/01/2014 | 21:07
What about case recommendations? I've a clear plastic one at mo just for basic protection
YNWA
Justice for the 96
Message 4 of 6
by: charlular
on: 29/01/2014 | 23:26 edited: 29/01/2014 | 23:28

I've had a Nexus 5 since they launched and have done a bit of tinkering. You should do some research into "custom ROMs", these are basically custom versions of Android that are made by people taking Google's source code and editing it to make a new version which they feel is improved. If you do some research into this and decide that it might be for you then you're in luck as Google devices have the best developer support, after messing around quite a bit I highly recommend flashing stock 4.4.2 for the latest bootloader and modem, then unlocking the bootloader, installing TWRP, then installing OmniROM (with PA GAPPS) and use franco.Kernel as your kernel, I find this to be a really clean combination with the best speed and battery life, OmniROM gets an update every day on the nightlies and the guy who develops franco.Kernel is currently being hired by Google I think.

In terms of cases I don't use one myself however apparently the CruzerLite ones offer very good protection (as shown at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY9Svj9fYVg), the Spigen Neo Hybrid is also a very popular case.

A proud member of the giffgaff community!
Message 5 of 6
by: billy_bob_97
on: 09/04/2015 | 11:51
As the the nexus 5 is completely android vanilla it does not come with an in built file commander but you can always download one from the play store (it helps a lot).
Message 6 of 6