Community

Nokia E Series - GiffGaff Troubleshooting

Started by: jack17938
On: 30/05/2010 | 09:42
Replies: 2

by: jack17938
on: 30/05/2010 | 09:42 edited: 30/05/2010 | 10:07

Hi guys,

I found moving from 3 to giffgaff quite frustrating because of some of the settings put in place. So I thought I should let others know the quickest way to resolve problems and don't find issues.

NOTES - I am using the E63, other phones may vary slightly. I switched from 3, other networks may vary.

- This guide picks up after you install the giffgaff settings, i.e. texting 'settings' to '2020'.

---------------

Internet Settings

I found the following programs like to keep the old service provider's internet access settings:

Nokia Maps [in tools menu]

Real Player [in media menu]

Internet Radio [in media menu]

Nokia Maps can be changed using the following:

-menu

-tools

-maps

-options

-tools

-settings

-internet

-default access point [this should be changed to giffgaff WAP]

Real Player can be changed using the following:

- menu

- media

- RealPlayer

- Options

- Settings

- Streaming

- Network

- Default access point [this should be changed to giffgaff WAP]

Nokia Internet Radio

Some issues have been found and so have some solutions SEE HERE FOR MORE INFO

---------------

Bookmarks/favorites

The bookmarks in your phone that you may use tend to go to your old network's cache of the page you want to visit. Or it can be routed through a mobile site, for example - selecting Facebook using bookmarks will goto a 3 site then to Facebook.

These bookmarks should either be ignored or deleted. The quick links should also be changed.

These can be changed in the 'personalisation' section in the 'settings' menu. Just remember that your old network has loads of settings in place to make sure you use their services.

-----------------

Installations 

I found several un-useful links within the installations menu, these can be simply deleted by going into the 'app manager' in the installations menu and deleting them from there.

----------------

This could be useful for some, others may find it pointless BUT it can save time and stress. If anybody found fussy settings when moving to giffgaff then please let us know.

Message 1 of 3
by: glw
on: 30/05/2010 | 11:33 edited: 30/05/2010 | 11:37

Nokia Podcasting has its own settings for the access point.

Options -> Settings -> Connection -> Default access point.

That's obviously quite an important setting to check as you can easily download tens of megabytes with a single podcast.

Google Maps is a popular application on Nokia smartphones which can set its own access point.

Settings -> Change Connection

A handy tip is that if you have an application that may use a lot of data and want to avoid inadvertantly doing so then set the connection or access point to Always Ask, that way you'll get to choose the connection first.

Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
by: andy0
on: 30/05/2010 | 11:54

@glw wrote:

A handy tip is that if you have an application that may use a lot of data and want to avoid inadvertantly doing so then set the connection or access point to Always Ask, that way you'll get to choose the connection first.

I think that's perhaps a better point than resetting all the defaults. People who haven't bought a goodybag, or people who go abroad, will want to minimise the amount of data used over the phone network compared to using wi-fi where available.

And my phone had a reset the other day, and backing up didn't re-install all the applications, so I had to do some manually. Then I had a new reminder about some applications (e.g. Fring) being set to autostart, so make sure to alter those settings as well as the access point default

Message 3 of 3