Community

OnePlus 5T: A Flagship Experience At a Mid-range Price

Started by: leeon1988
On: 07/01/2019 | 16:52
Replies: 5

by: leeon1988
on: 07/01/2019 | 16:52

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 16.34.12.png

Since the year 2013, OnePlus has created well built and very high specced smartphones and sold them at a low price. If you’re after a good phone, but don’t necessarily want to fork out the asking price of the more mainstream brands then you should continue reading as the OnePlus 5T may just suit your needs.

The OnePlus 5T has a huge 6” Optic AMOLED screen with great viewing angles and gets bright enough when viewing outdoors in direct sunlight. Check out the video review to find out some of the things I enjoy about the OnePlus 5T. This phone is packed with powerful internals which gives users a high-end smartphone experience at a more affordable price at just £369. 

Here are some of the pros and cons. 

The Pros

Excellent metal build quality

Has a headphone jack

Fast fingerprint reader

Gorgeous bezeless design

Fast performance

The price

The Cons

No waterproofing 

No wireless charging

Average speaker quality

Tech specs:

6” 18:9 Full Optic AMOLED Screen

Snapdragon 835 processor

8GB RAM

128GB Storage

OxygenOS version 4.7.4

Android 7.1.1

16+20MP Dual rear cameras

3,300 mAh battery

Design

The OnePlus 5T has an 18:9 full-screen design which gives it a more modern look, to accommodate the bigger screen, the fingerprint scanner has been moved to the centre back of the device and this is the perfect place as I can just move my finger into place and unlock the phone with ease. The phone is made out of aluminium and it looks premium. The metal design gives this phone a lovely finish and feels comfortable to hold in the hand. The metal design makes this a slippery phone to hold but this is quickly solved by the case that OnePlus generously provides in the box.

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 16.33.44.png

Performance

The Snapdragon 835 processor may be a 2017 flagship chipset, but it still holds up even in 2018 going on to 2019. The combination of the 835 processor with 8GB RAM and Oxygen OS is absolutely nuts, there are current flagships that don’t even come close to having 8GB of RAM. There are no stutters or lag while multi-tasking even while heavy games are running in the background. The 3,300 mAh battery just  about gets me through a day of normal usage, which involves me checking Instagram, Twitter, watching a couple of YouTube videos and sending emails. 

Camera

The camera launches very quickly with just a double press of the power button taking straight into the camera which loads instantaneously. The rear cameras on the OnePlus 5T are 16MP and 20MP and they both have a relatively large aperture at f1.7 which will let in more light. The photos are detailed in good lighting but, night time shots appear grainy and overexposed. With that said I didn’t get enough to time with the phone to really use the camera to its potential. 

What’s In The Box

OnePlus 5T 

Charging cable

The UK charging plug (Quick charge)

Screen protector (applied on phone)

Quick start guide

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 16.34.12.png

Conclusion

The phrase ‘It just works’ doesn’t just apply to Apple iPhones anymore. The OnePlus 5T was great fun to test. The display is very sharp and has a very attractive 18:9 format that ensures a more modern design. The performance is one of the best I’ve experienced on any smartphone. If you are looking for a fast and reliable smartphone with great specs and build quality then the OnePlus 5T should be on your list. 

If you would like to purchase this phone for £369 from giffgaff or find out more about it then click here. 

Message 1 of 6
by: isabel1066
on: 07/01/2019 | 16:59
thank you @leeon1988 a very good review.
Get a free giffgaff Sim
Message 2 of 6
by: leeon1988
on: 07/01/2019 | 17:00
@isabel1066 Thank you stopping by! Smiley Very Happy
Message 3 of 6
by: frommoon
on: 09/01/2019 | 11:08
@leeon1988 A friend of mine has it. It's an excellent device, I agree.
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted