Community

PAYFORIT Charges - beware

Started by: zapz1
On: 12/11/2018 | 11:14
Replies: 3

by: zapz1
on: 12/11/2018 | 11:14 edited: 12/11/2018 | 11:22

Everyone needs to be aware of the PAYFORIT scam aided and abetted by giffgaff 

Yesterday I had £4.50 stolen from my account by PAYFORIT (giffgaff take a percentage of this so therefore are complicit in the transaction)

How did this happen? 

A search led to a page that automatically entered my phone number (helpfully provided by giffgaff without my knowledge or explicit consent . Then automatically when I closed the page it subscribed me for £4.50 a week  until cancelled. )

Giffgaffs response was **edited** not our problem. See terms and conditions
1. We can do whatever we like 
2. You can do nothing about it!

So thanks giffgaff you're profiting from a scam which you know has ripped many people off but hey not our fault 
But.....
You gave my phone number out which is my personal data!
Nothing you can do sorry 
Even better for the giffgaff scam supporters 
Distance selling rules don’t apply to premium phone stuff 
So all of you out there need to be careful and aware that this pay for it scam is alive and well and totally supported  by giffgaff 
If giffgaff had any concern for its clients they would have an opt out of giving out your phone number to scamming websites that request it, but no can’t do that! 
Rant mode off
Message 1 of 4
by: muggles708
on: 12/11/2018 | 11:51

@zapz1

I share your anger at GiffGaff's refusal to do anything to protect customers from these scams. Why won't they provide protection? Incompetence or greed (or maybe a bit of both!)

There are things consumers can do to fight back. You are entitled to assist on a FULL refund from the 'service provider'. In order to keep your money they have to prove that you consented to the charges. This is impossible for them to do.  If a refund is not provided, use the Small Claims procedure if the company is based in the UK. If the 'service provider' is ovrseas, pursue the Level1 provider (Tap2Bill or similar company) for your refund. Again use the Small Claims procedure if necessary.

There is hope on the horizon with a review of these services by the regulator. There is a general expectation that some action will be taken following this, though I'm not sure it will be enough.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/beatthescammers/article-6375921/Victory-sight-MoS-battle-halt-rip-...

More detailed advice for dealing with 'Payforit' scams is i the faq linked in my signature.

Paul

Been scammed by 'Payforit'? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for GiffGaff Customers
Support GiffGaff introducing two factor Authorisation for ‘Payforit’ https://labs.giffgaff.com/idea/16712363/require-2-factor-authentication-to-sign-up-for-payforit-tex...
Message 2 of 4
by: hunterchunk
on: 12/11/2018 | 17:06

@zapz1 Completely agree with your comments. It's a disgusting practice and must be stopped. 

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
by: zapz1
on: 12/11/2018 | 17:46

I should add that if you use a VPN like nordvpn for eg you are protected and they can’t see your phone number - I usually use one - but the one time I didn’t ..

Message 4 of 4